Newbie Coilover Question

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Changing to CO's for me are not what I want to spend at this point. However, I would like to have the best ride possible. I currently have the AEV 2.5" with Bilsteins. Would upgrading to King shocks be a major improvement in ride quality on and off road over the Bilsteins??

Ride quality is 100% subjective and for the most part, ride quality comes from spring rate with shocks helping out and even things like tire pressure making a difference. Depending on what you're looking for in a ride, King shocks may make an improvement for you but, far from what I would consider to be, "major". Coupled with a set of Plush Ride coils, I personally feel they are a much better setup than most other setups but, I prefer a soft comfortable ride over a harsh one.

MTG

Caught the Bug
So many gems in this thread that I wanted to reply to, but I deleted them before posting. :crazyeyes:

The only question posed in the OP was whether they are necessary for a dd. The answer to that question is no.

As has been said countless times before...figure out what you want to do with your jeep, figure out your budget, then buy accordingly. :yup:

Oh and try not to get your panties in a wad when somebody expresses an opinion that differs from yours. :thumb:

DallasJKU

Ride quality is 100% subjective and for the most part, ride quality comes from spring rate with shocks helping out and even things like tire pressure making a difference. Depending on what you're looking for in a ride, King shocks may make an improvement for you but, far from what I would consider to be, "major". Coupled with a set of Plush Ride coils, I personally feel they are a much better setup than most other setups but, I prefer a soft comfortable ride over a harsh one.

I'm sure adding a little weight to the front end with a winch would soften up the ride on some of those crappy roads. I hate driving with low tire pressure as it seems too floaty for my taste.

Paisano

Mustang all the way.

Seriously though how many of us thought they'd expand their mods to their current set up? Started with a rubicon and said I'd never do much more. Then 4" Teraflex and 37's. Then said I was done. Changed to this coil over kit. Which btw I should have done first as its WAY better everywhere. Now getting axles added today. My rambling point is don't underestimate where your jeep life will take you as it's probably going to change the more you get into it. Overkill as a DD maybe, but its nice. If there is any chance you think you might expand your needs down the road lay the foundation now.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app[/

Well said!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure adding a little weight to the front end with a winch would soften up the ride on some of those crappy roads. I hate driving with low tire pressure as it seems too floaty for my taste.

Why would you be sure of that? If you have the AEV 2.5 Dual Sport kit with it's dual rate coils, the more load you place on it, the more you will use up the softer rate of the coil. Add enough weight and the only part of the coil you will be riding on is the firm side.

DallasJKU

Why would you be sure of that? If you have the AEV 2.5 Dual Sport kit with it's dual rate coils, the more load you place on it, the more you will use up the softer rate of the coil. Add enough weight and the only part of the coil you will be riding on is the firm side.

Not sure of that. Just assuming. I could just be expecting too much from a Jeep. I just remember when I had CO's on my Xterra that when I added a bit of weight with a front bumper the ride smoothed out.

Last edited:

GCM 2

Mustang all the way.

Seriously though how many of us thought they'd expand their mods to their current set up? Started with a rubicon and said I'd never do much more. Then 4" Teraflex and 37's. Then said I was done. Changed to this coil over kit. Which btw I should have done first as its WAY better everywhere. Now getting axles added today. My rambling point is don't underestimate where your jeep life will take you as it's probably going to change the more you get into it. Overkill as a DD maybe, but its nice. If there is any chance you think you might expand your needs down the road lay the foundation now.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app[/

Well said!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

That's why accuracy and experience counts when people reply to a thread trying to answer questions. If everyone made decisions off of the guys who heard this or heard that on another forum, about something they have zero first hand experiences with, this will often time lead to others making poor decision choices and wasting hard earned money and wasted time.

The best thing about this forum has always been the members here taking the time to explain in detail why not everything is a necessity, most everything will always comes down to an individual's budget, and then providing the best options within a budget.

DallasJKU

Well, I can tell you for a fact that your assumption is wrong.

No, just expecting too much from what you have now. If you have the means, there is always a way to make your Jeep ride and handle better.

100% of my driving is on road and I will occasionally go off road for camping. However all I care about is ride quality and not flex or anything like that because for my purposes the Jeep can do everything I need. If CO's are best then that is what I will save up for.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
100% of my driving is on road and I will occasionally go off road for camping. However all I care about is ride quality and not flex or anything like that because for my purposes the Jeep can do everything I need. If CO's are best then that is what I will save up for.

For your purposes, I might look into a good long arm kit like what EVO makes and run it with a set of Plush ride coils and King shocks. Coil overs are the best but, they're expensive and will require more maintenance than I think it's worth for your purposes.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What maintenance do coilovers take?

Well, like anything on your Jeep, coil overs do have parts that can and do wear out over time. While it may not be necessary, we put on a lot of miles both on and off road and so we try to have ours rebuilt once a year. Costs about $50 a piece to have done at King.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In all fairness, even though most people don't, you should replace shocks on a regular basis as a part of routine maintenance too.

Atch

Well, like anything on your Jeep, coil overs do have parts that can and do wear out over time. While it may not be necessary, we put on a lot of miles both on and off road and so we try to have ours rebuilt once a year. Costs about $50 a piece to have done at King.

How long is the wait typically when King rebuilds them?

Top Bottom