Nitto Exo Grappler AWT - All Weather Tire

GENREC

These look sweet, I must consider! What do you guys think, I was going to go Trail Grappler 35's..but I am 40, a little anal at times, and my rig is my DD, I wonder if these would be a smarter choicer or even the duratrac....hmmm.

vitodivita

Early thoughts/opinions on these tires on-road.

Balancing: Discount said they needed very little weight to make them balance.

Ride Quality: Marginally better than the Duratrac's, which also had good road manners. This is a very preliminary thought/opinion.

Noise: Very tolerable, marginally better than the Duratracs.

So far I'm very satisfied. Will report back after I put some more miles on these..

ciphershort

I'm very torn between getting these or the Duratracs. I like the Duratrac look a little better but the 2-ply sidewalls are a big negative. The Exos seem to be very well built and since they are rated the same as the Duratracs, I'm leaning toward the Exos. There's also the new BFG KO2 but sizes are limited at this time. Going to be buying a set of something next month so now I just have to decide haha. Decisions decisions!

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Just installed mine today. So far they ride well. Great traction in the water, slush and snow.

Here are a few pics:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1419724743.892190.jpg

Front tire with measuring tape:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1419724970.051477.jpg

Rear tire with measuring tape:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1419725034.675712.jpg

They are a bit a smaller than I thought they would be. Depending on how you look at the tape, they come out at 33.5" or 34" vice 34.75" as stated on NITTO's website. I was hoping they would be close to 35".

I'm going to wheel them tomorrow in VT on mid trail.

-Matt

AncientTrail

It ticks me off that they advertise 35" tires when in fact they don't measure to that :grayno: Add air down on the trail and it gets worse...:mad:

ciphershort

Just installed mine today. So far they ride well. Great traction in the water, slush and snow.

They are a bit a smaller than I thought they would be. Depending on how you look at the tape, they come out at 33.5" or 34" vice 34.75" as stated on NITTO's website. I was hoping they would be close to 35".

I'm going to wheel them tomorrow in VT on mid trail.

-Matt

So how did they do out in the wild?

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
It ticks me off that they advertise 35" tires when in fact they don't measure to that :grayno: Add air down on the trail and it gets worse...:mad:

Really that upsets you? What tire out there truly measures up to the exact size. Besides if you take the 34.75 that their website says and then have it at a lower air pressure for the Jeep instead of a truck and then add the vehicle weight 33.5 is normal. If you really want a true 35" tire order a metric 315 or get 37s

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I ran them yesterday up in Vermont on a non-maintained access road and an old logging road. It had rained the two previous days and the temperature was in the forties so the three feet of snow they had was melting. So I got to run through mud, slushy-ice and snow on top of the trail. I would have gotten stuck with my old NITTO Terra Grapplers for sure. I didn't get stuck at all and the tread cleared out amazingly well. I ran them at 18psi. Overall, I was very happy. I'll be wheeling them again today now that the temperature is back in the twenties.

Here are a few pictures:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1419880574.054354.jpg
You can see the snow that was left in my C-gussets because I was driving through some area with more than 3 feet of snow.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1419880690.190415.jpg
Here's a picture from when we took a brake on the trail to walk the dog. It's a public trail that leads to several hunting camps. Hopefully the snowmobilers won't be too upset with me.

These are great tires!

I got them DiscountTire Direct and I couldn't be happier with the experience.

-Matt

Wardell

Really that upsets you? What tire out there truly measures up to the exact size. Besides if you take the 34.75 that their website says and then have it at a lower air pressure for the Jeep instead of a truck and then add the vehicle weight 33.5 is normal. If you really want a true 35" tire order a metric 315 or get 37s

Yup. People always seem to forget that the tire size printed on the sidewall is a size classification system and it's never a true measurement for those very reasons.

GENREC

I ran them yesterday up in Vermont on a non-maintained access road and an old logging road. It had rained the two previous days and the temperature was in the forties so the three feet of snow they had was melting. So I got to run through mud, slushy-ice and snow on top of the trail. I would have gotten stuck with my old NITTO Terra Grapplers for sure. I didn't get stuck at all and the tread cleared out amazingly well. I ran them at 18psi. Overall, I was very happy. I'll be wheeling them again today now that the temperature is back in the twenties.

Here are a few pictures:
View attachment 116877
You can see the snow that was left in my C-gussets because I was driving through some area with more than 3 feet of snow.

View attachment 116878
Here's a picture from when we took a brake on the trail to walk the dog. It's a public trail that leads to several hunting camps. Hopefully the snowmobilers won't be too upset with me.

These are great tires!

I got them DiscountTire Direct and I couldn't be happier with the experience.

-Matt

How tall a lift are you running there, any side shots of this trip or in general of the full rig so I can see the stance with these tires??

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
GENRIC,

Here are a few side shots:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1419956741.791632.jpg
This is from this morning, air temp was 8 degrees Fahrenheit. The passenger side front tire is up on a stump.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1419956841.989337.jpg
A couple days ago.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1419956912.785996.jpg
Here's a side picture with my old tires on it that I took this past Friday.

I have a 3.5" RK X-factor lift on it.

-Matt

vitodivita

I'll be installing my lift on saturday, been running 35 inch Exo Grapplers on a stock suspension the last week or two with flat flares + 4.5 wheels. It's a little rough with the bigger tires, but better than the Duratracs by a margin. Have not had any snow or any wheeling so I can't give any evaluation of that. The tires did perform extremely well in the rain last week.

I'll have a 3" EVO lift on the jeep, pics to follow this weekend hopefully.

AncientTrail

GENRIC,

Here are a few side shots:
View attachment 116955
This is from this morning, air temp was 8 degrees Fahrenheit. The passenger side front tire is up on a stump.

View attachment 116956
A couple days ago.

View attachment 116957
Here's a side picture with my old tires on it that I took this past Friday.

I have a 3.5" RK X-factor lift on it.

-Matt

Hello Matt, are you using the new triple rate springs from RK with that lift? If so, how do you like it?

Thanks!

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
Great to hear people are enjoying this awesome new tire. I really hope nitto decides to make this in a 37" or maybe even a 40" some day.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
AncientTrail,

I think I do...I ordered my kit right as RK was switching to them exclusively (late April '14). None of the documentation that came with the kit said either way. When I load up the Jeep, the rear end doesn't sag so I'm assuming they are the progressive Triple Rates. They are not as soft as I was expecting and the ride is comparable to my stock Rubicon coils/suspension. Though the polyurethane/heim and Krawler joints may be helping to make the ride a little more stuff than I was hoping for. The kit wheels great.

Once I put the EXOs on the ride got softer due to the larger side wall.
-Matt

Top Bottom