OBD-2 Mount Retainer and/or Splitter

TeamFaust

I did some searching and didn't see any specific threads on this/these topics (or maybe I was unsuccessful in locating) so here goes.

Situation: The OBD-II in my 2008 JKU has been kicked enough times (I know I'm not the only one to accidentally kick that sucker) that the plastic retainer thingy has broken and is long gone the the port connector just hangs there. Not really a big deal because I have it connected to a Trail Dash unit so it is effectively secure.

Problem: In AZ where I now live in order to have the required emissions test done the port must be secured to the bracket so that the emissions "tech" can just push it on. They will not hold the loose port and plug in their connecting cable :cautious: so two questions for the group:

1) Does anyone know the part number for the plastic OEM retainer gizmo so that I can "properly" re-secure the OBD-II port to the existing bracket. Otherwise if anyone else had had this issue any suggestion to secure....otherwise might have to try to finagel a zip tie option in the sort-term.

2) Has anyone used one of the OBD-II Y-splitters to create a second OBD-II port? Do they work / any complications? I'm thinking about installing one so that I have 1 lead "permanently" connected to the Trail Dash (or other future aux computer unit), and then 1 lead in the factory bracket always available for any repair tech/emissions/??? access so as not to disconnect my Trail Dash every time there is a need for external connection to the OBD-II

Would appreciate any input from those that have experience with these.

WJCO

Meme King
Sucks that Arizona has become so communist. I think that the obdii port itself contains the retainer. If it were me, I'd just plastic weld it by melting a zip tie with a lighter and scoring it into the broken crack. There are obdii splitters available.

TeamFaust

you can get an extension with a mounting bracket from Amazon, I've seen splitters on there as well.

you can also get the bracket only:

https://www.amazon.com/Mobilistics-Under-Mounting-Bracket-adapter/dp/B01N6XT4Y9
I still have the OEM metal bracket, it originally had a plastic retailer that clipped around the the OBB port to clip it into place. That plastic retainer is what I can't seem to locate... might have to try to find a salvage yard and scour a few CDJR vehicles for one. Just not what I have time for right now so was hoping to order a retainer.

TeamFaust

Sucks that Arizona has become so communist. I think that the obdii port itself contains the retainer. If it were me, I'd just plastic weld it by melting a zip tie with a lighter and scoring it into the broken crack. There are obdii splitters available.
Yep, I must say that their emissions process is much better and cheaper than Cali, just this particular detail is a pain...I guess I get it they don't want one of their techs being blamed for damaging someone's OBD port, but jeez.

I'll look more closely at it tomorrow to try to figure out a way to "secure" it to the existing bracket.

TeamFaust

I still have the OEM metal bracket, it originally had a plastic retailer that clipped around the the OBB port to clip it into place. That plastic retainer is what I can't seem to locate... might have to try to find a salvage yard and scour a few CDJR vehicles for one. Just not what I have time for right now so was hoping to order a retainer.
I saw the splitters on Amazon figure I'd try one, just curious if anyone had any experience with them and could confirm that they work seamlessly or if any problems or things to be aware of.

TeamFaust

Closeout follow up mostly for anyone else that references this thread later:
1) "Retainer" clips are integrated on the side of the OBD-II port that simply click into the OND mount bracket, press them in to remove. On mine one of the press in side clips had broken off so no longer clicked into the mount bracket.

2) I did get a Y-Splitter (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C84SXM31?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details) and it appears to be working as it should. Male end into the factory OBD port, now I have 2 female ports (both with the retainer clip on the sides). One connected to my Trail Dash unit (and will be left always connected) and second clipped into the OEM bracket for accessibility for technician diagnostics/emissions testing, whatever.

Top Bottom