Ordered long arms, but questions about what else I need

bhaner

Looks awesome! Good job!

Yep! Removing the exhaust is about as helpful as removing the tank! LOL!

KevinG

Caught the Bug
So had a two day stretch without getting in the garage other than a couple of hours. Front is going way way faster than the back.
IMG_2359.JPG IMG_2365.JPG

I’m at work right now so don’t have a ton of pics. But I do have a question for the guys that bolted on. I noticed on the pass side there’s nothing “backing” the bracket on the inner side of the frame rail. I imagine that it’s because of the gas tank is there. . On the very forward of the front brackets there is a 1/2” hole that you drill through both sides of the frame, but again nothing on the outside. Is this something to be concerned about or just bolt in on and check the torque on all of them with oil changes (or just burn it on and fuggedaboutit?) I do have a couple of sleeves from the AEV Geometry Brackets that I am sure I can cut down and make work, but is it pointless with all of the other attachment points?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

KevinG

Caught the Bug
Pretty much buttoned up everything yesterday. Spent part of today goofing around with the stupid exhaust loop. Made cuts, did it wrong. Made more cuts, screwed it up worse. I have some fine tuning to do but I think I am just going to let it sit until drivelines get here. For the guys thinking about doing it, let me know if you want any specific angles or any questions.

And yes, I realize the rear pinion is pointing at the sky. lol

Image1553491763.125771.jpg Image1553491781.338285.jpg Image1553491814.651643.jpg

Attachments

• Image1553491719.910033.jpg
    Image1553491719.910033.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Looks good! I’m a little late to the game and you’ve probably done this already but one tip I have is to coat the threads of control arms with some anti-seize. Mine did not get this originally and two of my 8 arms are seized beyond belief.

KevinG

Caught the Bug
IMG_2388.JPG IMG_2389.JPG IMG_2391.JPG IMG_2392.JPG IMG_2393.JPG

Checked everything at full bump and twisted it as much as I could. I’m still using the bumpstops from the AEV lift. Have plenty of room all around except if I have one side of the axle stuffed. These wheels are 4.59 backspaced and the directions recommended 4.5. Who knew .09” would make a difference but at full stuff the tire kisses the upper control arm. No drama in the front at all. I threw the drivelines back in but I’m pulling em out shortly for reels. Probably going to order some machetes and order coilovers in the next couple days. I’m pretty psyched to drop an inch or so when I get them in

KevinG

Caught the Bug
Looks good! I’m a little late to the game and you’ve probably done this already but one tip I have is to coat the threads of control arms with some anti-seize. Mine did not get this originally and two of my 8 arms are seized beyond belief.

Yeah I had saavy/Currie aluminum arms on my LJ. One winter in Baltimore and they were the same. I learned my lesson. Thanks for the tip. A huge thank you for them documenting your install so thoroughly. Huge huge help

Last edited:

KevinG

Caught the Bug
Image1553588130.894213.jpg

Holy crap that came fast! I think it was Saturday night when I ordered it. Thanks for getting it out so fast!! I will wear it with pride up here. Wait.....from what I heard, isn't this supposed to come with a packet of Kool Aid? :cheesy:

Last edited:

jesse3638

Hooked
Looks good. I'm glad the lift I have didn't require cutting the exhaust loop and flipping it.

That would be funny if Eddie threw a packet of Kool-aid in with any wayalife swag order..haha

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

KevinG

Caught the Bug

KevinG

Caught the Bug
So I'm getting ready to order a few things. As you may have seen in the first post I'm doing all of this because I have had the AEV lift for a while and my stock driveshafts are suffering. I knew that my boot on the rear was torn, but when I pulled the front it looked like it contacted the y pipe. With the long arms I took the exhaust spacers out and am still fiddling with the exhaust loop (have a flex pipe in there right now). I left the spacers out A: because they flat out don't work with the long arms and B: I was going to get aftermarket driveshafts. Left the front out for the time being. I'm eventually (within the month or so) going to order coilovers. Should I wait until I have the suspension all buttoned up and measure or just measure now and order JE Reels front and rear? I have everything set for length pulling the springs and setting at full bump, setting the caster at around 4.5 degrees. In my mind it shouldn't change with coilovers since my control arms are set to length now, but is there something I am missing? Pic from today!

finished.jpeg

KevinG

Caught the Bug
I guess this is probably turning in to a build thread of sorts. So yeah, long arm installed. Drive's great! Did a few other things, front bumper and so on. Got Machetes delivered on Tues and mounted them Friday night (luckily I was able to do them at work so dismounting and balancing was easy) Used Eddies video for mounting up the beadlocks and everything again drives well. Ready for the next step!!

IMG_2539.JPG

IMG_2537.JPG

IMG_2542.JPG

IMG_2535.JPG

IMG_2536.JPG

Missing from the pictures out of the box are the CO bracket for the axle (have a pr44 so I don't *think* I use them. I have an antirock, but am crossing my fingers and hanging on to the links in case I come across a rubi swaybar that someone isn't using...

Also missing from the pic is the AEV front bumper which found a new home on my wife's jeep. She is going to be getting the rear bumper and tire carrier soon. EVO facia ordered, and probably going with a gen right carrier.

Last edited:
Top Bottom