Over 2 Months and Still No Moby - Manual Transmission Woes

MTG

Caught the Bug
Okay, here's a short clip we filmed before taking our Jeep to the dealership. This is what we're hearing only, it's gotten a lot worse...

Between that and your tires it sounds like a plane and a jackhammer remix.

That sucks.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Going on 2 Months and Still No Moby

Holy crap dude! I was waiting for that thing to blow up.

If you can't walk my beat unarmed, maybe you should consider becoming a police officer.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Going on 2 Months and Still No Moby

Between that and your tires it sounds like a plane and a jackhammer remix.

That sucks.

I was think plane and a tank..lol

If you can't walk my beat unarmed, maybe you should consider becoming a police officer.

rtguy1

Whoa! Sounds like a coke can in the spokes! Sounds like it increases with Rpm's too, but as you said only with load.

Kavanji

sounds like the splines at the output of the gearbox and the input to the transfercase are shot.
did the spannerjockey remove the transfercase from the gearbox?
is there oil in the gearbox and Tcase? sounds loudest in 4th, when you shift to 5th it goes a bit silent and when you shift back to 4th its back. T-Case chain streched and rattling like crazy?
i have very litle trust in the spannerjockeys and newpartfitters employed by the dealerships nowadays. what cant be diagnosed with a computer cant be fixed and they will throw new parts at the problem until it is accedentaly solved.
did they only swap the gearbox or everything including the t-case?
the more i listen to your video the more i am convinced that the t-case chain is FUBAR

rtguy1

thats the noise right there!

Lol...sounds similar. But if you read the comments the guys says it ended up being the rear driveshaft. He said he removed the rear driveshaft and drove it in 4hi and no noise. Replaced rear shaft and presto...good to go. It may be the rear shaft Eddie. Try pulling it and drive it around. :beer:

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
bummer

man...sorry to hear about this you guys.....I have no fix to offer but some empathy and hope that it gets resolved soon

Since you are at a loss may I recommend putting Moby on a rack lock the front hubs and spin the front tires. Using a long screwdriver put in on the transfer case and then put your good ear to the handle. The screwdriver will act like a stethoscope and you should be able to hear anything out of the ordinary.
I too am at a loss.

jeepgreenjon

When I heard the noise in the U-tube video I right away thought T.Case. Heard a similar noise on an old chev that had a worn t.case chain guide. After reading and hearing the axle noise, Im not too sure what to think. Id put it in 2wd jack up the back wheels and run it through the gears. A t.case noise will generally get louder when not loaded where a transmission noise will generally get quieter (or so ive found in the past) No noise in reverse would lead me more towards the t.case because your major thrust wear will now be on the opposite guides. (assuming the t.case in the jks are the same as the NP20's)

As for the dealer issues
As a mechanic here in Canada, and going through my apprenticeship and schooling I pride myself in the ability to diagnose and fix issues. In saying that I would never EVER work at a dealership, the communication between the techs and the service advisers is non existent. To be honest alot of service advisers up-sell alot of stuff the vehicle doesnt need and blame it on the techs when questions arrive! At 90% of the dealerships the Techs dont even get to type up the tech reports the dumbass advisers do! I realize there are some bad service technicians out there but I wouldnt start blaming the tecs right away. Id find a good honest small town garage or 4x4 shop with Licensed techs (ASE certified in the states is a good start i guess) that can diagnose your vehicle and be the ones that fight the dealership to do your warranty repairs. All of our customers that still have vehicles that are under warranty never have problems with warranty claims because when I find a problem that should be covered I call the dealer directly and make sure they fix my customers car for free, that in turn guarantees I get all their other work that isnt warranty related and they know they can trust me! The dealer never argues with us because they know we are licensed techs and if they deny warranty they will be hearing from the ministry of transportation (our governing authority)

Topper

Yeah I was going to say T case my self to but then I thought it was the clutch grinding in the stick heard to say brothers.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
IMG_3963.jpg

So here's an update on things. Took Moby into Off Road Evolution and, after going on a test drive and giving things a once over, they decided to install a brand new transfercase to see if that would fix the problem and... it didn't. :grayno:

Tomorrow they are planning to pull the transmission, check the clutch and see if they can find anything else but, I think we're ready just to proceed with Plan B.

billybob990

View attachment 24022

So here's an update on things. Took Moby into Off Road Evolution and, after going on a test drive and giving things a once over, they decided to install a brand new transfercase to see if that would fix the problem and... it didn't. :grayno:

Tomorrow they are planning to pull the transmission, check the clutch and see if they can find anything else but, I think we're ready just to proceed with Plan B.

What's plan b? :confused:

Top Bottom