Project BOHICA: AllAmericanInfidel's Mojave Sand build

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Congrats! Pop that top!

Congrats! Ready to see more build progress

Freaking sweet! I imagine by now you have put a 1000 miles on it there!!

Glad to see you got it back. Loving the look of that Level!

congrats man! now drop that top and enjoy.

Thanks everyone! Definitely excited to finally have BOHICA here! A Jeep just seems fitting for the Island life!

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Good to have it back I'm sure. IMO you could paint or plasti-dip your stock wheels black until you get your axel and gears. It would look sharp!

Funny you mention that. My wife and I were just on our way back home and discussing either leaving the stock wheels/tires on until we could do it all at once, or maybe picking up some Rubi wheels and tires until we can do the gears. I already have 35" BFG KM2s from my last rig, so I would just need to pick up some wheels and throw them on once I regear. Shouldn't be any later than March before I'll know if I'm going to replace the front axle or just regear what I've got. In the mean time, I would just continue building it as planned.
I agree black wheels would look much better, never used Plasti-Dip though.

Right on bruddah!...you must be glad to get out from behind the wheel of the mini van...

I sure am Ed! I was very grateful when our van arrived here, but the Jeep is much funner to drive! The van has not moved from the driveway since the Jeep got here yesterday lol!

Last edited:

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Went to go grab a bite to eat

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467871260.648683.jpg

Then drove around and stumbled upon the movie set for Mothers, Daughters starring Goldie Hawn and Amy Shumer. I guess it will be coming out summer of 2017.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467871401.938138.jpg

Then hung around the beach until sunset

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467871318.710069.jpg

Not a bad day at all!

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Put on the HE>i decals today. Left enough room for some Wayalife decals in between them and the sport decals. I think I'm going to do the flags on the cowl again and BOHICA in Rubicon font where the Rubicon would be on the hood.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468039991.802266.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468040001.652364.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468040032.856619.jpg

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Finally got the doors off of BOHICA. The last two days, right when I was taking the first door off, it started raining. Today was no different. I pulled the first door and it started raining. My wife asked me if I was going to act like a vagina again, so I pulled the doors off in the rain lol. Turned out to be a great day with awesome wearer, although a bit windy.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468127605.190418.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468127650.528741.jpg

Also, found the most epic view to have some pulled pork BBQ dinner!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468127718.638127.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468127818.205728.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468127818.205728.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 196

Brute

Hooked
"Also, found the most epic view to have some pulled pork BBQ dinner!"

In Hawaii, it's called Kalua Pork (or pig).....

Napalm

Finally got the doors off of BOHICA. The last two days, right when I was taking the first door off, it started raining. Today was no different. I pulled the first door and it started raining. My wife asked me if I was going to act like a vagina again, so I pulled the doors off in the rain lol. Turned out to be a great day with awesome wearer, although a bit windy.

View attachment 211970
View attachment 211971

Also, found the most epic view to have some pulled pork BBQ dinner!

View attachment 211972

Looking good stripped down :) bumpers and a leveling kit are going to be my first mods too. I'm hoping it comes out looking as good as yours!

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
"Also, found the most epic view to have some pulled pork BBQ dinner!"

In Hawaii, it's called Kalua Pork (or pig).....

Lol! I have to learn the language and stop mispronouncing everything. So far, all of the locals have been really friendly teaching me the proper way to say things and welcoming us. I love this place!

Pretty nice man!

Thanks. More stuff to come soon!

Looking good stripped down :) bumpers and a leveling kit are going to be my first mods too. I'm hoping it comes out looking as good as yours!

Thanks! Your rig is already looking great, it can only get better!

Last edited:

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
So, after driving the Jeep around on the island quite a bit, including a daily commute of just over 40 miles, I have learned a few lessons and will start building BOHICA up accordingly.

1. The first thing I want to address is safety. I want to ensure I have a good, updated first aid kit accessible in the Jeep. I also want to have an extinguisher close by and accessible from the drivers seat, just in case!

2. The second thing I want to address is legality. I have to run a front license plate here, as well as mud flaps to pass inspection. In addition, I will have a tire coverage/ fender flare issue to address when I get the tires mounted up.

3. The next thing I want to address is security. I have been rolling with the doors off quite a bit, and have heard horror stories of professional thieves here on Oahu. Luckily, I have had no incidents, but did have a homeless guy hanging around it while at the beach with the family, seemingly waiting on us to go further away or stop paying attention. I stood close by lol.

4. The next think I feel I need to address is a bit more weather proofing. While it has not rained near as hard or for the length of time as it rained in SC, I still do not want to have the same issues I had with my previous rig. I hated pulling carpets all the time to dry out and prevent mildew.

5. The next thing I need to address is headlights. Living out in the country north of Wahiawa, it gets pitch dark on the roads out here. The factory headlights might as well be mice holding on to candlesticks in front of the Jeep.

6. The last thing I might address is ride quality. While the leveling kit has not changed the ride quality at all, I have been considering the EVO leveling kit and some Rancho RS9000s. Funds permitting (I am still unsure how much I am going to take it on shipping) I may go ahead and invest in those parts here in stage 1.

So, to recap, phase 1 of the build of BOHICA looks something like this (I am considering this phase 1 of the build, as the bumpers, leather etc was just some extras I was able to get done before shipping):

* First aid kit
* Fire Extingusher
* Tuffy security glove box
* Tuffy under seat security drawers (likely driver and passanger)
* Tuffy locking rear hidden compartment
* JCR front license plate mount
* EVO QD mud flap kit
* BedRug BedTred liner (Passenger compartments only)
* Truck-Lite headlights
* EVO C Gussset kit
* AEV ProCal or Superchips Flashcal
* Savvy Half door powdercoat (color match to Mojave Sand)

Funds permitting:
* EVO leveling kit
* Rancho RS9000 shocks
* Cobra 75 CB

I will start ordering parts for phase 1 once I lock down where I am going to get stuff from, and if it is on island or if I will have to order and have the parts shipped. I would like to get all of the parts ordered within the next few weeks.

Phase 2 will be coming around April or May of next year, which will be when I should be returning from and out of country work trip. Phase 2 will consist of tires, wheels, re-gear and possibly axle. My plan was originally to get the Jeep up on the 35s I already have now, and re-gear at the end of the year. Because I will be leaving for work for a little while, I decided it would be best to wait on that until I return. This way the wife and kids can use the Jeep with no issues of it being sluggish, etc around the many hills here. I also want to see if I can save enough money by then to replace the front axle with an aftermarket 44. If I cannot by then, the plan is to at least build the rear axle with a locker, 35 spline shafts, and re-gear. For the front I will just re-gear and do C Gussets and that's it until I can replace the front axle. At that time, I will also purchase some wheels for the 35s I have, and possibly an aftermarket tire carrier like Genright.

This leads me to a question/ solicitation of opinion once again. In order for me to pass inspection, the tires must be completely covered by the flares. My options are to 1) purchase some wheels and mount the 35s I already have (BFG Mud Terrain KM2s) and find an aftermarket flare that is roughly 2" wider than the factory flare or 2) purchase some wheels and some smaller, thinner tires. I see that BFG is making the K02 in a 34x10.50R17. I think a tallish, thin pizza cutter tire might look pretty cool with the Mojave Sand color, similar to look of the tires on the old war Jeeps. Some other options I am considering that would be a taller 33" tire are a 285/75R17 or a 295/70R17. I can get the Cooper STT Pro, Falken MT, or Toyo MT in the 295, and a Toyo MT, Nitto Mud Grappler, or Cooper S/T Maxx in the 287/75. Are there any other sizes I am missing? I would like to stay as close to an advertised 35" tire as possible in height, but with a thinner width, which should solve the majority of the tire coverage issue. I believe the 35" BFG KM2s I have measured around 33.5" when on my last Jeep. Just throwing around some ideas. Thoughts? :idontknow:

FLKEYSJK

So, after driving the Jeep around on the island quite a bit, including a daily commute of just over 40 miles, I have learned a few lessons and will start building BOHICA up accordingly.

1. The first thing I want to address is safety. I want to ensure I have a good, updated first aid kit accessible in the Jeep. I also want to have an extinguisher close by and accessible from the drivers seat, just in case!

2. The second thing I want to address is legality. I have to run a front license plate here, as well as mud flaps to pass inspection. In addition, I will have a tire coverage/ fender flare issue to address when I get the tires mounted up.

3. The next thing I want to address is security. I have been rolling with the doors off quite a bit, and have heard horror stories of professional thieves here on Oahu. Luckily, I have had no incidents, but did have a homeless guy hanging around it while at the beach with the family, seemingly waiting on us to go further away or stop paying attention. I stood close by lol.

4. The next think I feel I need to address is a bit more weather proofing. While it has not rained near as hard or for the length of time as it rained in SC, I still do not want to have the same issues I had with my previous rig. I hated pulling carpets all the time to dry out and prevent mildew.

5. The next thing I need to address is headlights. Living out in the country north of Wahiawa, it gets pitch dark on the roads out here. The factory headlights might as well be mice holding on to candlesticks in front of the Jeep.

6. The last thing I might address is ride quality. While the leveling kit has not changed the ride quality at all, I have been considering the EVO leveling kit and some Rancho RS9000s. Funds permitting (I am still unsure how much I am going to take it on shipping) I may go ahead and invest in those parts here in stage 1.

So, to recap, phase 1 of the build of BOHICA looks something like this (I am considering this phase 1 of the build, as the bumpers, leather etc was just some extras I was able to get done before shipping):

* First aid kit
* Fire Extingusher
* EVO QD mud flap kit
* Truck-Lite headlights
* EVO C Gussset kit

Funds permitting:
* EVO leveling kit
* Rancho RS9000 shocks
* Cobra 75 CB

I will start ordering parts for phase 1 once I lock down where I am going to get stuff from, and if it is on island or if I will have to order and have the parts shipped. I would like to get all of the parts ordered within the next few weeks.

Phase 2 will be coming around April or May of next year, which will be when I should be returning from and out of country work trip. Phase 2 will consist of tires, wheels, re-gear and possibly axle. My plan was originally to get the Jeep up on the 35s I already have now, and re-gear at the end of the year. Because I will be leaving for work for a little while, I decided it would be best to wait on that until I return. This way the wife and kids can use the Jeep with no issues of it being sluggish, etc around the many hills here. I also want to see if I can save enough money by then to replace the front axle with an aftermarket 44. If I cannot by then, the plan is to at least build the rear axle with a locker, 35 spline shafts, and re-gear. For the front I will just re-gear and do C Gussets and that's it until I can replace the front axle. At that time, I will also purchase some wheels for the 35s I have, and possibly an aftermarket tire carrier like Genright.

This leads me to a question/ solicitation of opinion once again. In order for me to pass inspection, the tires must be completely covered by the flares. My options are to 1) purchase some wheels and mount the 35s I already have (BFG Mud Terrain KM2s) and find an aftermarket flare that is roughly 2" wider than the factory flare or 2) purchase some wheels and some smaller, thinner tires. I see that BFG is making the K02 in a 34x10.50R17. I think a tallish, thin pizza cutter tire might look pretty cool with the Mojave Sand color, similar to look of the tires on the old war Jeeps. Some other options I am considering that would be a taller 33" tire are a 285/75R17 or a 295/70R17. I can get the Cooper STT Pro, Falken MT, or Toyo MT in the 295, and a Toyo MT, Nitto Mud Grappler, or Cooper S/T Maxx in the 287/75. Are there any other sizes I am missing? I would like to stay as close to an advertised 35" tire as possible in height, but with a thinner width, which should solve the majority of the tire coverage issue. I believe the 35" BFG KM2s I have measured around 33.5" when on my last Jeep. Just throwing around some ideas. Thoughts? :idontknow:

Nice solid plan! As for the tires in stage 2 I think the tall skinny tires would look cool with your color or go with some bushwhacker flares.

Brute

Hooked
I would stick with the 35" BFG KM 2's...you already own them & they are decent treads...on island, you will be in sand & mud...wider is better; address the tire coverage issue with appropriate flares...which will be cheaper than buying new tires

Napalm

* First aid kit
* Fire Extingusher
* EVO QD mud flap kit
* Truck-Lite headlights
* EVO C Gussset kit

Funds permitting:
* EVO leveling kit
* Rancho RS9000 shocks
* Cobra 75 CB

Awesome build plan. This is why I follow your build thread because you put so much thought and work into the parts you run. Kudos to you!

While I can't add a plethora of knowledge to what you already have, I can recommend the EVO level for ride quality. Just in the six months I've driven on the stock Sport S suspension, I've definitely been able to tell the difference compared to the EVO Level I was running on Onyx. The springs are much more "plush" and spoil you to a great ride. I can't wait to get mine installed on Steel...

If shipping is going to eat your lunch, I'd recommend just going for the EVO kit now and wait on the Rancho's. As you know, this kit will work just fine with stock Sport shocks, and it rides great with them. Now if you can get it all at once, do it! But, if your suspension budget is tight like mine, the Sport shocks do a fine job until replacements can be brought in. :)

As for the tire question, I agree with Brute and say that you should stay with the BFG KM2's and get a wider flare to accommodate. Being that you already have the tires, this will save you A LOT of pennies seeing as how tire purchases is usually what eats our lunch when building our rigs. Flares will be cheaper and you can save the rest of that money for other purchases/axle stuff.

Can't wait to see even more things happen with BOHICA! :)

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Nice solid plan! As for the tires in stage 2 I think the tall skinny tires would look cool with your color or go with some bushwhacker flares.

Thanks, I have always like the look of pizza cutter tires, but 35s and 37s are badass too lol!

I would stick with the 35" BFG KM 2's...you already own them & they are decent treads...on island, you will be in sand & mud...wider is better; address the tire coverage issue with appropriate flares...which will be cheaper than buying new tires

Great info Ed! It's local experience like this that I lack. Aren't you running 35 KM2s on your Anvil Jeep? If so, how do you plan on addressing the tire coverage issue when you get it here? Thanks!

Awesome build plan. This is why I follow your build thread because you put so much thought and work into the parts you run. Kudos to you!

While I can't add a plethora of knowledge to what you already have, I can recommend the EVO level for ride quality. Just in the six months I've driven on the stock Sport S suspension, I've definitely been able to tell the difference compared to the EVO Level I was running on Onyx. The springs are much more "plush" and spoil you to a great ride. I can't wait to get mine installed on Steel...

If shipping is going to eat your lunch, I'd recommend just going for the EVO kit now and wait on the Rancho's. As you know, this kit will work just fine with stock Sport shocks, and it rides great with them. Now if you can get it all at once, do it! But, if your suspension budget is tight like mine, the Sport shocks do a fine job until replacements can be brought in. :)

As for the tire question, I agree with Brute and say that you should stay with the BFG KM2's and get a wider flare to accommodate. Being that you already have the tires, this will save you A LOT of pennies seeing as how tire purchases is usually what eats our lunch when building our rigs. Flares will be cheaper and you can save the rest of that money for other purchases/axle stuff.

Can't wait to see even more things happen with BOHICA! :)

Awesome info, thanks! I've been leaning towards the EVO kit because of first hand experiences like yours. Great point on the shocks too. I'll be making some phone calls today to see if I can make it happen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom