Project: Stay of Execution

Lately I have seen a number of members picking up older rigs for restoration projects and it got me to thinking of doing one myself since I'm taking a bit of a break with Mumbo's build to actually relax and enjoy the work I've done on him.
I began checking the Craig's list ads in my area as well as the 4x4 parts exchange I belong to on FB. Though I found several possible projects, including one I was threatened Divorce over, ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418909022.780029.jpg , I started thinking I wouldn't find a project suited to my lack of a full-blown fab shop at my personal disposal. Then, suddenly it appeared... A 1989 Jeep Comanche that the seller was going to sell the engine out of. I sent him a text and ultimately bought it, engine included.
It is in pretty rough shape, but since it's a project rig, it's supposed to be. It has the 4.0L and 5sp manual trans. However, it's only a 2WD...For now, lol. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418912154.500461.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418912168.708663.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418912190.503882.jpg

David1tontj

Nice headlights ridge!
😁

I hope you decide to bob the bed on that thing... I love that look.

Congrats on the new rig!

catahoula

Caught the Bug
The first one is sweet! I would drive by this shop and see one like it all the time, then stopped and asked about it. He had just dropped it off at the scrap heap. So sad. I did find a Jeepster in need of some TLC. I do like the trucks though.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Great choice! It's gonna be a lot of work, but it could be your favorite driver when you're finished. I choose to drive my '92 MJ over the JK most of the time. All the best.:thumb::thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nice finds!! I can't recall if you were the one who contacted me or not about the MJ and if it was you, I apologize for not responding. I just get so many PM's and emails everyday that it can sometimes be hard to keep track of what I've read or need to respond to.

We took a drive yesterday to finally see the little MJ in person and ultimately make the deal happen. It was delivered to La Casa De Mumbo about an hour ago. It has a few small issues to deal with right away, such as lack of brakes and replacing a few hoses, but nothing too difficult or expensive. Unfortunately, with Mumbo having to spend the weekend in the shop unexpectedly my plan of sending the MJ right out to paint will have to be put on hold for a few weeks. The mrs and I are still in need of a name for it but hopefully one will come in time. I remember when Eddie brought Rusty home and how his name came from the tag on the keys. There is also a tag on the MJ's keys but I'll be damned if I start calling it "Amanda", lol. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421617811.918728.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421617836.889614.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421617858.226460.jpg

JAGS

Hooked
I'm sure Amanda will appreciate some attention. Looking forward to seeing Amanda get dolled up.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I wanted an MJ back in the day. I would still drive one in a heart beat. Have fun with Amanda.

Last edited:

Armydog

We took a drive yesterday to finally see the little MJ in person and ultimately make the deal happen. It was delivered to La Casa De Mumbo about an hour ago. It has a few small issues to deal with right away, such as lack of brakes and replacing a few hoses, but nothing too difficult or expensive. Unfortunately, with Mumbo having to spend the weekend in the shop unexpectedly my plan of sending the MJ right out to paint will have to be put on hold for a few weeks. The mrs and I are still in need of a name for it but hopefully one will come in time. I remember when Eddie brought Rusty home and how his name came from the tag on the keys. There is also a tag on the MJ's keys but I'll be damned if I start calling it "Amanda", lol. View attachment 120024 View attachment 120025 View attachment 120026

Subscribed, can't wait to see Amanda come along. Congrats on Amanda! Cheers!!!!!!

pastorwug

There goes your savings!
Let me know if you need parts sourced, there are several HUGE wrecking yards over here on the coast near me. Mostly in Nipomo Mesa. You'd be surprised what they have.

Here's a couple more pics I forgot I had taken. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421773019.363144.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421773064.712235.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421773091.068066.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421773117.117639.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421773174.670182.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421773203.087377.jpg . It's in pretty rough shape but nothing I can't tackle and I'm hoping the final result will look similar to this one here. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1421773498.926924.jpg

David1tontj

Very nice... So.... We're dying to know... Is Amanda gonna get huge implants we can all drool over?

Also- I still think you should bob her rear end... She just has a little too much junk in the trunk. - you will want to do this before paint so you can make it look factory.

When can Pamela and Amanda hang out?

Top Bottom