RL206's 2013 JKU Journal

rl206

Figured I'd dig this up from the dead w/ an update...

I came across some Rock Krawler coils and Bilstein shocks off of Offerup awhile back. They were removed at 3k miles so essentially brand new :D

After sitting in my garage for months I finally put the lift on. Just got back from a little overnight camping trip to have fun w/ the lift.

IMG_6491 by Ryan Lamb, on Flickr

Little poser shot
IMG_6486 by Ryan Lamb, on Flickr

rl206

So my 35" MTR's on steel wheels are taking a toll on my rig...

I have had a mild shimmy at about 35-40 mph that is only present in that window. I was down in OR on 101 doing my family's annual dune trip w/ the atv's and experienced a death wobble experience. Of course, while fully loaded and towing and farthest away from home I was going to be while on the trip...

I mounted the tires myself when I had put them on, so I stopped by a conveniently located Les Schwab about 10 miles after the death wobble occurred and had the set balanced. Went on and felt as if the shimmy was almost non existent, but still very slight. I checked and realized the wobble most likely loosened up my passenger sway bar end link. that was the only issue I found that night. After about 2 hrs of driving afterward, the wobble happened again...

Looking for input on what to replace...

My plan is to order a front track bar bracket, I'm looking at the Synergy one. I figure I'll order the bracket first, seeing's how the mount seems whimpy to me and if I end up needing a new track bar as well, no big deal. I'm gonna go through the front end tonight to check ball joints as well and probably realize they are bad and need replaced.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

rl206

Never had it happen with a trailer, I’m used to it when it happens but with a trailer that may actually cause me to need new underwear.

Here’s the checklist

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks! I almost did need new ones, luckily no one was near on that stretch at the time.
I have seen that pic before but I didn't think about the pitman arm itself, I will give it a look. I did notice the drag link end at the knuckle seems to move more than the tie rod, I may order a new drag link and see what happens.

Last edited:

rl206

I went w/ the Steer Smarts. I opended the pkg and noticed this...
I tried calling and it says the voicemail is full. Called Northridge since that’s who I ordered from and said they’d get on it. We will see what happens. IMG_6642.jpg IMG_6646.jpg

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I went w/ the Steer Smarts. I opended the pkg and noticed this...
I tried calling and it says the voicemail is full. Called Northridge since that’s who I ordered from and said they’d get on it. We will see what happens. View attachment 308403 View attachment 308404

Wow, that’s really shitty! Poor quality control! Unfortunately, not surprising considering the manufacturer.

rl206

Alright, so got off the phone w/ Northridge, they said this is normal...
Guy on the phone said he didn’t believe it, so he opened a few boxes and said it was consistent w/ those pics I had sent. Not sure how I feel about it. Apparently, I hadn’t done good research because I hadn’t really heard anything bad about them...

rl206

So, after talking w/ Northridge they said that is how it is supposed to be. I crawled under the Jeep w/ the bracket and the side that appears to be short and not flush w/ axle tube, I’m assuming is intended to be like that to butt up against the tab for the UCA. However, it’s a good 3/8” away from it, even after all bolts loosely in place. I installed it for now. I plan on ditching the D30 soon anyway.

On the bright side, I realized my track bar bushing at the frame end is toast and am 90% sure that’s what’s causing the wobble. So will order one here soon.

rl206

I wanted to thank Monstrousmac on here for helping me out on my window situation. He had softtop windows laying and gave me a great price on them! Hopefully no other tweekers ruin these ones, tinted too!

IMG_6828 by Ryan Lamb, on Flickr

IMG_6829 by Ryan Lamb, on Flickr

rl206

I hate the green interior lights, I wanted to swap them from green to white/blue for awhile now and finally started. I ordered OTRATTW switches in blue, and got my HVAC controller done the other day. I ran out of leftovers so am waiting on more to show up to tackle the cup holders and cluster.

rl206

First time I've been able to snag a few goodies for myself w/ the black friday deals, usually just buy gifts for other people.
The parts are starting to come in so put some of the little things on.
Teraflex Front Brakeline Anchor
IMG_7035 by Ryan Lamb, on Flickr

Rear Brakeline Brackets
IMG_7024 by Ryan Lamb, on Flickr

Evo License Plate Bracket
IMG_7036 by Ryan Lamb, on Flickr

Top Bottom