Roof Rack + Snorkel = Overland?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
what MTG said, totally different issue. the lift itself doesn't cause a leak, your factory drive shaft coming into contact with the sump pan will. installing an aftermarket drive shaft will eliminate this problem. also, a sump pan leak WILL NOT cause a fire and i never suggested that it could or would. at most, a leak there will reduce the amount of fluid you have and that will effect your transmission's ability to work properly and, you may have a stain on your driveway to boot. atf pumping out of the dip stick/fill tube will throw it all over extremely hot stuff under your jeep's hood and that can cause a fire.

Vulpine

what MTG said, totally different issue. the lift itself doesn't cause a leak, your factory drive shaft coming into contact with the sump pan will. installing an aftermarket drive shaft will eliminate this problem. also, a sump pan leak WILL NOT cause a fire and i never suggested that it could or would. at most, a leak there will reduce the amount of fluid you have and that will effect your transmission's ability to work properly and, you may have a stain on your driveway to boot. atf pumping out of the dip stick/fill tube will throw it all over extremely hot stuff under your jeep's hood and that can cause a fire.

Forgive me; I seem to have a problem with comment clarity.

In reading your description, I thought I remembered you mentioning the possibility of a transmission fluid leak hitting the drive shaft and being spun off onto hot exhaust in your description. From what I've read of the JK fires, every one of them started under the body at the transmission itself, not under the hood. This would imply that your description is a logical cause, if not the real cause. Obviously, if the drive shaft wears through the sump housing it means you've got friction for heat as well as the potential for sparks--either of which could cause the transmission fluid to ignite. This is why I said I would want to avoid the potential at any cost. I'm not trying to say either one of you is right or wrong; I'm just saying I want to play it safe. To be honest, I don't think even the HTSB knows the real cause of the fires and we are only speculating based on what few facts we know about the situation. The simple fact that both you and MTG have a lot more experience in this area than I do means that I will defer to your more educated opinions.

I still want to find a good shop and a good group like you guys up my way. I've got a lot to learn and a short time to learn it (paraphrasing the lyrics from 'Eastbound and Down' from Smokey and the Bandit.)

Vulpine

Black Bear Road

Anybody ever think of trying to write a story based on that song? With some of you having wheel-on experience on that road (pass) you could probably make it pure comedy (like CW McCall) or a fear-fest as the inexperienced driver takes his rented Jeep (and family) across the pass.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Forgive me; I seem to have a problem with comment clarity.
With the name Vulpine, one has to wonder if it is intentional...or do you just like foxes? :thinking: :cheesy:

The simple fact that both you and MTG have a lot more experience in this area than I do means that I will defer to your more educated opinions.

MTG experience in this area = 0

I still want to find a good shop and a good group like you guys up my way. I've got a lot to learn and a short time to learn it (paraphrasing the lyrics from 'Eastbound and Down' from Smokey and the Bandit.)

I do not know whether you are a member at JK-forum but I'd try the East Coast staging area and ask some of the forum members for recommendations:
http://www.jk-forum.com/east-coast-51/

Or even more specific: Link

Vulpine

With the name Vulpine, one has to wonder if it is intentional...or do you just like foxes? :thinking: :cheesy:
Oh, I am a fox. Believe me. North American Red with a hint of German. Gregarious and crafty; love to stir up conversations and try to learn from them.

MTG experience in this area = 0
MTG been on this board longer than I have, ergo, more experienced than me.

I do not know whether you are a member at JK-forum but I'd try the East Coast staging area and ask some of the forum members for recommendations:
http://www.jk-forum.com/east-coast-51/

Or even more specific: Link

Yes, a member, but their forums are dull compared to this one. Still, I should dig a little more.

StrizzyChris

This thread has died down(and thank the dear lord) but I saw this as I was walking into work a couple days ago and cracked up...I think he needs a couple more spares on his roof rack! At least Ill give him credit for not being a poser in a H2 or worse an H3 :icon_crazy:

H1.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This thread has died down(and thank the dear lord) but I saw this as I was walking into work a couple days ago and cracked up...I think he needs a couple more spares on his roof rack! At least Ill give him credit for not being a poser in a H2 or worse an H3 :icon_crazy:

View attachment 2346

:cheesy: what's with the straps on the mud flaps :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
speaking of overland - i just had to post up this pic we took over the weekend. a hotel just for overlanders...

main.php

:D

StrizzyChris

speaking of overland - i just had to post up this pic we took over the weekend. a hotel just for overlanders... :D

as you can see in your post and this pic, there are no roof racks on these overlanders. I would have liked to see better water fording capabilities with 8 snorkles though!
covered-wagons.jpg

GCM 2

Yes! It's back again, the Overlanding thread.......prepare for responses, it may get bumpy.

Attachments

• image-3532195586.jpg
    image-3532195586.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 136

Vulpine

View attachment 2346

Ya just gotta chuckle with that one. As for the straps on the mudflaps? I think they're to keep the mudflaps from getting dragged into the tires under certain circumstances. I've seen some mudflaps torn to shreds because they somehow got pulled forward and caught the tires while going down the highway. Take a look at some 18-wheeler mudflaps out there. The look like they spent a lot of time on top of the tire, rather than behind it.

Prime8

StrizzyChris said:
I.E. 300lbs of added rear weight causing them to sag and drag in the rear :cheesy:

You're just jealous cause you can't fit two full size spares side-by-side on the back of your rig! But you CAN fit in one parking space, so at least you have that going for you...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No joke, the four guys on the left were a group of "overland" experts that we met over the weekend and, this is about how the one way converstation went....

overland.jpg

:cheesy:

GCM 2

wayoflife said:
No joke, this was a group of "overland" experts that we met over the weekend and about how the one way converstation went....:cheesy:

that is classic! :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wait, so you mean the notes I was taking are worthless? :thinking:

:cheesy:

not at all - they are great to look back on for those times when you need a good laugh :D

seriously, thanks for taking this pic and for letting me use it :thumb:

Hightower

No joke, the four guys on the left were a group of "overland" experts that we met over the weekend and, this is about how the one way converstation went....

LOL.......................................:cheesy:

Top Bottom