Roof Rack + Snorkel = Overland?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Frank, I can say that your JK is full-on "overland" certified after last years 2012 JKX! Your rig did some serious wheeling :rock:

Really? But I thought yellow was bad for overlanding as it attracts heat and you want to stay cool when you are out. Otherwise your ARB fridge won't work properly and you will burn more fuel and it'll be hot and the snorkel and the snorkel and the snorkel...

:cheesy:

Prime8

Really? But I thought yellow was bad for overlanding as it attracts heat and you want to stay cool when you are out. Otherwise your ARB fridge won't work properly and you will burn more fuel and it'll be hot and the snorkel and the snorkel and the snorkel...

Yellow is a light color... Dark colors absorb more heat, light colors reflect.

MTG

Caught the Bug
From the Dawn of Time we came, moving silently down through the centuries. Living many secret lives. Struggling to reach the Time of the Gathering, when the few who remain will battle to the last. No one has ever known we were among you...until now.

Overlander, there can be only one.

I used to love those movies. :thumb:

MTG

Caught the Bug
I think you are included in there too, you motor boating mother......I mean overlanding Nevada resident!

Nah, I make no claim to have obtained the coveted overlander status. Besides I think Northface stops at size XL. :cheesy:

Yeahright

I have not seen a Jeep built like an " overlander " in australia, only the Japan built stuff you mentioned before, that usually run 7" lift and 35" tyres. Are they legal but a JK is not.
Gibbo,
Us Queenslanders don't get the right to engineer our stuff like you guys do, it's the 3 inches and that's it, anything bigger than that is illegal

Last edited:

Gibbo

Gibbo,
Us Queenslanders don't get the right to engineer our stuff fake you guys do, it's the 3 inches and that's it, anything bigger than that is illegal

Sorry to hear that. I have a mate with a Nissan Patrol got knocked back at reg'o because his head lights were above the 1200mm limit above the ground. All those lights on roll bars and roof racks also illegal. Oh what a nanny state we live in. Its nice to have big brother looking out for us.

GCM 2

Sorry to hear that. I have a mate with a Nissan Patrol got knocked back at reg'o because his head lights were above the 1200mm limit above the ground. All those lights on roll bars and roof racks also illegal. Oh what a nanny state we live in. Its nice to have big brother looking out for us.

I had no idea of the crazy regulations you had to deal with until you started posting! :icon_crazy: I guess I had always thought of Australia as very like minded with the United States when it came to vehicles......only they are all right hand drive vehicles! That really sucks to hear.

Yeahright

I had no idea of the crazy regulations you had to deal with until you started posting! :icon_crazy: I guess I had always thought of Australia as very like minded with the United States when it came to vehicles......only they are all right hand drive vehicles! That really sucks to hear.

GCM2 , mate that is nothing,here are some mods that are not allowed,
In the state of Queensland,
No lift over 3 inch, and that's only since Nov1 2012, before that it was 2 inch,
Max 50mm increase in tyre size,
No beadlocks on street registered vehicles,
No welding or drilling of chassis, at all,
Light bars can only be used if you put a black divider in the middle to make it look like it is two lights,
If you want to use spotlights you are only to be used in pairs, and no more thantwo pairs, not in the line of the drivers sight, and no further than 600mm apart,
No Cages and aftermarket seats without engineer approval, so mastercraft seats are out because they don't use the original seat bracketry, and the cage must be removable, not welded in,
Cannot remove doors at all,
Tyres cannot stick out past the fenders at all,
Exhaust must go out the back of the vehicle, and at least 600mm from the nearest passenger door, and not under the vehicle,
No D rings or recovery points that protrude forward of the bumper,
No singers, all bumpers must have the hoop leaning backwards toward the vehicle, like on the ARB deluxe bumper,
Vehicle width on a solid axel vehicle must not be increased by more than 50 mm per side,
Number plates must be in the middle of the bumper, and must be able to be seen from a 45 degree angle at all times,
No led headlights, at all,
No HID headlights, unless fitted by the vehicle manufacturer,
These are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Chiromancer

Good grief... No wonder other countries have Overlander rigs... It almost sounds like those rules were made up by anti-rock crawlers... Wait a minute here...

Hightower

No lift over 3 inch, and that's only since Nov1 2012, before that it was 2 inch,
Light bars can only be used if you put a black divider in the middle to make it look like it is two lights,
If you want to use spotlights you are only to be used in pairs, and no more thantwo pairs, not in the line of the drivers sight, and no further than 600mm apart,
No Cages and aftermarket seats without engineer approval, so mastercraft seats are out because they don't use the original seat bracketry, and the cage must be removable, not welded in,
Exhaust must go out the back of the vehicle, and at least 600mm from the nearest passenger door, and not under the vehicle,
No singers, all bumpers must have the hoop leaning backwards toward the vehicle, like on the ARB deluxe bumper,
Vehicle width on a solid axel vehicle must not be increased by more than 50 mm per side,
Number plates must be in the middle of the bumper, and must be able to be seen from a 45 degree angle at all times,

Wow that is crazy welcome to regulation nation.:shock::shock::shock:

Gibbo

Stop reminding me, it's depressing. Takes a lot of the fun out doesn't it. You blokes feeling any of this heat up there?

Prime8

Man o man. It seems like it would be more tortuous to own a jeep there and abide by those regulations than to just settle for a nice sedan... Knowing the potential of your jeep but unable to unleash the beast within! I feel for you guys...

MTG

Caught the Bug
Yeahright said:

Sounds like ARB has some good lobbyist.

Top Bottom