Roof Rack + Snorkel = Overland?

Chiromancer

This is so true in Australia, In the state of Queensland where I live it is only legal to run with a maximum of 3 inch lift and 34 inch tyres on a JK.

I am confused... That is on normal road worthy vehicles or ALL vehicles? ... Or just the Aussie's hating on the jeep?

On topic, I'd say in the US, minimal modifications to an overland rig would be a decent rock crawler (just like a stock rubi is a decent crawler) and I'd also say a rock crawler would need minimal modifications to be an over lander...

Yeahright

I am confused... That is on normal road worthy vehicles or ALL vehicles? ... Or just the Aussie's hating on the jeep?

On topic, I'd say in the US, minimal modifications to an overland rig would be a decent rock crawler (just like a stock rubi is a decent crawler) and I'd also say a rock crawler would need minimal modifications to be an over lander...

That's on all 4wd vehicles, max of 3inch lift and a 50 mm or 2 inch increase in the overall rolling diameter of the largest manufacturer fitted tyre, this is a good thing, because before November 1st 2012 it was max 2 inch lift on all 4wd vehicles and a max of 10mm increase in the overall rolling diameter of the tyre.

Deuane

Yeah, a rubicon with a snorkel and a overhead rack is an overland rig, there other vehicle other than a jeep is a overland vehicle like a land rover defender, Toyota Tacoma, Land Rover Discovery, Toyota Land Cruiser 80 Series, and New Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition, it not a heavy rig vehicle, it for a mild trail long travel. I would not say the aussie is hating. Heavy rig is just for offroading sport conquering terrain mud, rock, sand and etc for a few miles ..

Gibbo

This is so true in Australia, In the state of Queensland where I live it is only legal to run with a maximum of 3 inch lift and 34 inch tyres on a JK.

I have not seen a Jeep built like an " overlander " in australia, only the Japan built stuff you mentioned before, that usually run 7" lift and 35" tyres. Are they legal but a JK is not.

Last edited:

Prime8

:cheesy: I just love how this thread keeps coming back to life :crazyeyes:

Since it seems to have been lost yet again, I think I need to reitterate that my first post specifically asked the question of what exactly is "overland" wheeling "here in America" - NOT some distant 3rd world country. Also, other than calling something an "overland" built Jeep, what exactly makes it an overlander?

You know what, I've got a better idea. Here's a shot of my Jeep and you can see it's specs by clicking on my profile.

As of today, I'm declairing it to be an overland built Jeep. If you don't think it is, I'd like for you to tell me why. :cool:

Eddie,
There are several things that make your rig NOT "overland" caliber:

1. You have a quality suspension. Get some AEV relocation brackets, then we will talk.
2. You don't have full width bumpers.
3. Your tires are 35" or above.
4. There is no tent mounted to your roof.
5. You don't have either lights or gas cans strapped to every inch of the jeeps exterior.
6. No snorkel.
7. No shovel, ax, pick, etc constantly strapped to your roof, even if your rig hasn't seen dirt in months.
8. No huge, obnoxious brush guard on your front bumper.

I hope this clears up the debate once and for all...

Atch

Eddie,

1. You have a quality suspension. Get some AEV relocation brackets, then we will talk.
5. You don't have either lights or gas cans strapped to every inch of the jeeps exterior.
6. No snorkel.
7. No shovel, ax, pick, etc constantly strapped to your roof, even if your rig hasn't seen dirt in months.

Awesome, made my morning!!

Gibbo

Eddie,

6. No snorkel.

That about sums it up. Are we all in agreement now. Lets move on. I know I am. Upward and onward.

MTG

Caught the Bug
OverlanderJK said:
Its not an overland rig for many reasons. One there are no doors, two I see no north face jacket in the jeep, three there is no roof rack and four there is no snorkel. You even said you need those in the title.

:cheesy::cheesy: Just playing!

5) no khaki
6) no pith helmet

/thread

LoPo

Caught the Bug
Its not an overland rig for many reasons. One there are no doors, two I see no north face jacket in the jeep, three there is no roof rack and four there is no snorkel. You even said you need those in the title.

:cheesy::cheesy: Just playing!

Hey don't hate on NorthFace jackets. Mine rule. :sigh:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
It really is. It goes off topic with people making fun of some things and then comes back to serious. Always good for a laugh.

I still need to read the whole thing though. I just read little bits here and there of the old posts.:cheesy:

GCM 2

I think the best part for me is that every now and again someone will post a more serious entry explaining what they believe is the "secret sauce" to the original question......and they still describe exactly what my "rock crawler build" has done for four years and can still do on any given day. Even when I'm overseas in one of the 2nd and 3rd world countries driving a Hilux, a Defender 100/110 or who knows what I will lease, I still would prefer my JK :rock:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Anyone want to buy my roof rack? :cheesy:

Sorry I don't have the snorkel and north face jacket to go with it.. :doh: :cheesy:

GCM 2

Anyone want to buy my roof rack? :cheesy:

Sorry I don't have the snorkel and north face jacket to go with it.. :doh: :cheesy:

Haha! Don't sell that roof rack if you really use it. I think many of us here have had a rack on a vehicle at one point. I thought they looked cool on my Land Rovers, but I never used them for anything, even on really long trips. Here's my rovers again:

Attachments

• image-2134578713.jpg
    image-2134578713.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 88
  • image-1940855871.jpg
    image-1940855871.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 83

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
...every now and again someone will post a more serious entry explaining what they believe is the "secret sauce" to the original question

Wait.... are you saying there isn't a secret sauce? :shock: :cheesy:

Doknocker said:
Anyone want to buy my roof rack?

LOL!! Nothing wrong with roof rack. As GCM 2 said, most of us have had one in the past including me on my old TJ and I used it all the time. Don't know how I would have been able to go camping - er... I mean, "overlanding" without one - seriously.

Please know that I only started this thread because I get self-proclaimed overlander types telling me all the time that my Jeep is only built to be a "rock crawler" and because of it, not something they would want. They say it wouldn't be suited for true overlanding and at least here in American, I haven't a clue as to what that would even mean. As GCM 2 once said, "This I know as a fact; my JK can go everywhere an "overland rig" can go, but an "overland rig" cannot go everywhere my rig can go." :cool:

Jersey_Devil

Haha! Don't sell that roof rack if you really use it. I think many of us here have had a rack on a vehicle at one point. I thought they looked cool on my Land Rovers, but I never used them for anything, even on really long trips. Here's my rovers again:

Now that's the way a land Rover should look! Not like u see with 28" rims :-(

10frank9

Web Wheeler
If this had a roof rack and snorkel it would be one kick ass overlanding rig.

image-1228124262.jpg

Another one of ChrisB(ieber's) weekend rigs ;)

Top Bottom