Roof Rack + Snorkel = Overland?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
:shock: Look at what the WAYALIFE Spycam-3000 spotted while Mel and Greg waited for the green flag on raceday at the 2013 King of the Hammers Everyman Challenge...

IMG_3591[1].jpg

:crazyeyes: :cheesy: :thumb:

MTG

Caught the Bug
So awesome!

I wouldn't laugh too hard Adam. As you know I snagged this pic of you checking out the snorkels on these overlanders. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1360462371.939211.jpg

:cheesy:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Oh man those two rigs just just had me feeling all warm and fuzzy inside. Snorkels, roof racks and roof top tents. I'm willing to bet those two rigs could have made it up back door or chocolate thunder.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is that Gregor the Overlander sitting next to Mel? Hmmmm. :thinking:

WAYALIFE APP 

Indeed it is. Here's another shot...

main.php

GCM 2

Indeed it is. Here's another shot...

Dang it! Now the whole world knows that Mel and I are overlanding racers. Now the thread title is going to have to be changed to "Roof Rack + Snorkel + Window Nets = Overlander" :cheesy: I believe that photo captured the end of our mandatory pre-race "shake and bake" fist bump!

Last edited:

Tackerdown

Banned
Hahahaaa that's too funny! Mel is a closet overlander.

Was a closet OL its public record now. I would like to take this moment to also step out of the closet ,thank you Mel for the inspiration to free myself from this false life I've been living . I can now go on without the need to lie to myself and my friend ,for this small gesture I thank you.

jhires

Up here in the Pacific Northwest, even light off road driving can involve a river crossing and the occasional hood deep mud puddle. My EB with a 6" lift and 35s took a drink in a puddle and cost me an engine. Wish I had a snorkel then. :doh: That certainly wasn't "overland" :D

While I agree that a Jeep built out like Moby or EVO1 would certainly be capable of doing the type of outdoor exploring my wife and I are planning, building out a rig like those would largely be a waste of money for us. And I bet you'd get bored. You can drive from north to south here in Washington almost entirely on logging roads, forest service roads, and fire trails. You will encounter sun, rain, snow, mud, sand, and water crossings so being reasonably equipped makes sense. Lift, lockers, good tires, and winch; yes. Pro-rock 60's and coilovers? probably not.

Would like to go places like Moab and Rubicon, but don't have an interest in trying The Hammers. So it really boils down to what you plan to do.

GCM 2

Up here in the Pacific Northwest, even light off road driving can involve a river crossing and the occasional hood deep mud puddle. My EB with a 6" lift and 35s took a drink in a puddle and cost me an engine. Wish I had a snorkel then. :doh: That certainly wasn't "overland" :D

While I agree that a Jeep built out like Moby or EVO1 would certainly be capable of doing the type of outdoor exploring my wife and I are planning, building out a rig like those would largely be a waste of money for us. And I bet you'd get bored. You can drive from north to south here in Washington almost entirely on logging roads, forest service roads, and fire trails. You will encounter sun, rain, snow, mud, sand, and water crossings so being reasonably equipped makes sense. Lift, lockers, good tires, and winch; yes. Pro-rock 60's and coilovers? probably not.

Would like to go places like Moab and Rubicon, but don't have an interest in trying The Hammers. So it really boils down to what you plan to do.

This makes complete sense, well stated! Maybe the serious "Overlanding" guys who jump into this thread will at least read your post :doh:

jhires

This makes complete sense, well stated! Maybe the serious "Overlanding" guys who jump into this thread will at least read your post :doh:

Ya, hopefully. I'm sure there are quite a few of them who get it. But there's too much intolerance of what others like to do and how the outdoors get used in general. And it's usually the most vocal who are the least understanding.

I personally love a good technically challenging trail, including rock crawling, but mostly I just enjoy exploring, hearing others stories, and watching others do challenges I'd never dream of.

2012jkfng702

Holy crap... I'm not on the site daily anymore due to my new kid and own site to deal with but I do remeber when this thread was started... Has anyone timed how long it would take to read the whole thread or if it is even possible in one day?? Got to be a record on the longest going thread??? P.S sorry if this was covered somewhere else as I definitely don't have time to read the whole thing :D:beer:.

Chiromancer

Holy crap... I'm not on the site daily anymore due to my new kid and own site to deal with but I do remeber when this thread was started... Has anyone timed how long it would take to read the whole thread or if it is even possible in one day?? Got to be a record on the longest going thread??? P.S sorry if this was covered somewhere else as I definitely don't have time to read the whole thing :D:beer:.

Not sure how long it took, but I've read the whole thing and kept up with it since my join date... It is worth it. Read it out loud to the baby, it will be a good bed time story AND will educate the little one on proper terminology :-D

GCM 2

It' nice to see faces put to names, it makes it a bit more personal. I also like those half doors, are they available to the public to buy.:cool:

Hey there Gibbo! Those half doors are just the factory doors a TJ comes with :thumb:

Top Bottom