Roof Rack + Snorkel = Overland?

JAGS

Hooked
Grow up with? You didn't even join the site until after this thread had probably close to 40 pages.:crazyeyes:

Oh not the case "old timer." I had been lurking here and JK since March/April, when I was trying to figure out my factory Rubi order details. I didn't know Jack about Jack about JKs or Jeeps or offroading. Now I just don't know jack, so there is some improvement. :thinking:

My rubi delivered in June. And I lurked even more so before I signed up in August. There were 30 pages then, not 40. :bleh: :cheesy::cheesy: But I actually went back and read them to know what was up. :crazyeyes:

We adopted him nonetheless ;) he is now one of us.

Thanks Greg, :thumb: spoken like a true overlander and not one that simply hides behind a user name! :cheesy::cheesy:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
:cheesy: A guy goes to Moab for a week and totally misses out on all the fun :sigh:

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life :crazyeyes: :clap2:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, I would like to add to the expense aspect of this discussion and point out that when it comes to things like ARB roof top tents, Snowpeak kitchen setups, cool khaki shirts and matching hats, most self-proclaimed overlanders spare no expense. :cool:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Oh, I would like to add to the expense aspect of this discussion and point out that when it comes to things like ARB roof top tents, Snowpeak kitchen setups, cool khaki shirts and matching hats, most self-proclaimed overlanders spare no expense. :cool:

Well those people build damn near an RV. Might as well tow their house along. I small trailer I get, easier to pack passengers in rig, but towing behind motorhome is a bit much and misses the point. I know ARB tents are expensive, and I don't own one (I have a regular coleman tent myself) but I can see the appeal of a rooftop tent. Off the ground which might be uneven and wet, away from the creepy crawlies and possibly other animals.

The one MAJOR downside to rooftop tents, and the reason why I never bought one, is simply due to the fact that anytime you want to take a drive, you need to pack the tent up. Seems like a MAJOR PITA to me. Also, Im not an overlander...I wear jeans everywhere :D

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Glad I can be of service! Glad you guys had a good time and made it back safely!

Oh yeah, always a good time and thanks :cool:

Well those people build damn near an RV. Might as well tow their house along. I small trailer I get, easier to pack passengers in rig, but towing behind motorhome is a bit much and misses the point.

I think you kinda missed my point. A lot of self-proclaimed overlander will spare no expense when it comes to "brand name" gear that they feel they need. Please note, this is not a criticism but rather, an observation of what I have seen over the years and really, it's all good by me. People should spend their money however they want and on whatever they want. But, to suggest that self-proclaimed overlanders are just trying to save money, I don't buy it.

I know ARB tents are expensive, and I don't own one (I have a regular coleman tent myself) but I can see the appeal of a rooftop tent. Off the ground which might be uneven and wet, away from the creepy crawlies and possibly other animals. The one MAJOR downside to rooftop tents, and the reason why I never bought one, is simply due to the fact that anytime you want to take a drive, you need to pack the tent up. Seems like a MAJOR PITA to me. Also, Im not an overlander...I wear jeans everywhere :D

Oh, I see more downsides than just having to pack it up. The significant weight of one placed on top of your Jeep will dramatically move your center of gravity up as well and that can be a big liability on the trail. As far as sleeping on the ground goes, all I can say is that it's what we've done for years and technology has only made it faster, easier and cheaper. Keep it zipped up and you keep the critters out. As far as bears or lions go, I can assure you that they can get you just as easily up on your roof as they can on the ground. :yup:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
As far as bears or lions go, I can assure you that they can get you just as easily up on your roof as they can on the ground. :yup:

Please note that in the OP we are talking about here in America. We do not have wild lions in America, only in zoos.

:cheesy::cheesy:;)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's pretty clear the bigger concern while overlanding, at least out west, is the Chupacabra.

At least that is what I fear. :cheesy:

:doh: You got me there - Chupacabras cannot climb ladders :crazyeyes:

Top Bottom