Rubicon Winter Rescue

Sharkey

Word Ninja
For the love of god, there is a massive winter storm going on this week up in the Sierra's. Warnings have been posted up and talked about on all the news channels and on NOAA since last week. Clearly, these guys are prime candidates for the Darwin award. :naw:

^This. Was this a "Wheeling for the Stolpas event"? We are getting as much as 12" of snow every 24 hours this week. These guys must be real brain trusts.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
^This. Was this a "Wheeling for the Stolpas event"? We are getting as much as 12" of snow every 24 hours this week. These guys must be real brain trusts.

You have think that who ever these guys are, they're from the general area or relatively so anyway. How do you live in CA, NV or even OR and NOT know what's going up there or at least know enough to check to see how bad it might be? I mean, it IS the Sierra Nevada Mountains, a place where people have build SKI resorts and it IS winter time. Last I checked, they are expecting as much as 5 feet of snow in places today. Of course, I'm far from being a badass so what would I know.

BTW, here's a clip coming up the backside of the Rubicon on 4th of July weekend - as in, the MIDDLE OF SUMMER.

Trail JK

You have think that who ever these guys are, they're from the general area or relatively so anyway. How do you live in CA, NV or even OR and NOT know what's going up there or at least know enough to check to see how bad it might be? I mean, it IS the Sierra Nevada Mountains, a place where people have build SKI resorts and it IS winter time. Last I checked, they are expecting as much as 5 feet of snow in places today. Of course, I'm far from being a badass so what would I know.

BTW, here's a clip coming up the backside of the Rubicon on 4th of July weekend - as in, the MIDDLE OF SUMMER.

Wow! Cool clip! Nice amount of snow still for July.

I can't imagine running the Rubicon in the winter. Hope everyone made it out. Such a bad idea, I wonder how long they were in before they realized it was a mistake. I'm not a huge fan of wheeling in weather it just elevates your chances of breaking something or getting yourself in a jam.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I know from previous backpack trips that we have taken too early in our mountains how much snow there can be. And that area gets just as much or more.
It looks like they have two rigs " on tons and 42's, a four wheeler with treads, and looking for one more rig". Hell, even in a snow cat they are crazy. Everyone is out! Let them stay until spring

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
From what I read, everyone got out last night/early this morning. I agree, let them stand! It's not worth someone's life!

EXACTLY!

Many times Search and Rescue would try to go back and find a body. The reason behind this is simple: The surviving family was closure to the loss of a loved one. But this whole "rescue" operation (really it is a recovery at this point) is really ill considered and not worth it. The two stuck rig owners need to chill a while and realize their mistake. Risking life for simple property is very very stupid. Even looking further outward, there are still bodies littered all over Everest. It is just too dangerous to go and recover them.

Maybe this could be like the vehicles found on Hunter Lake Trail that are rusting. A lesson to others they would be.

longarmwj

We have a local trail out here called "Little Mountain", and when it rains even a little it turns into an impassible mud fest (georgia red clay at that). Well about a year ago we had rain for about two weeks straight, and some people decided to try to go through there. Needless to say they got stuck. And not a little stuck, I'm talking a JK on 40s and a TJ on 37s stuck to the frame stuck. I was able to get the TJ out, but it took me two hours to get to him (about a mile into the trail) and two hours to get out. You couldn't tell what color my WJ was after that :grayno:

Ddays

Hooked
Maybe I am a West Coaster cause all I need is a pile of rocks to get stuck.

LOL - That response was for Mr Ty's amusement - His standard response regarding dumbasses here on the East coast is "Fucking East Coasters".
I thoroughly enjoyed poking at a couple dumbass West Coasters for a change and knew he'd gat a chuckle out of my response. :D

ChiliDawg

LOL - That response was for Mr Ty's amusement - His standard response regarding dumbasses here on the East coast is "Fucking East Coasters".
I thoroughly enjoyed poking at a couple dumbass West Coasters for a change and knew he'd gat a chuckle out of my response. :D

The two stuck rigs have Alabama plates...

TRLJNKY

Dont let Fires mess with you. A lil insight... There are no rocks on the west coast. Being close to Hollywood its all movie props 😆

sent from my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Top Bottom