Running 40s

Basscat

Speaking of 40s here's my question...... in Colorado high pinion rears are popular due to rocky terrain. Some folks place more emphasis on getting the drive shaft up than ring and pinion gear strength (coast side weakness). Full float rears are also nice for obvious reasons when running 40s. That said what are your opinions regarding an XD60 full float rear vs a Pro Rock 80? One gives up ring and pinion strength to keep from getting "barber poled". The other gives up height to get strength (better gear mesh on drive side). What would you go with running 40s if you had a choice?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Speaking of 40s here's my question...... in Colorado high pinion rears are popular due to rocky terrain. Some folks place more emphasis on getting the drive shaft up than ring and pinion gear strength (coast side weakness). Full float rears are also nice for obvious reasons when running 40s. That said what are your opinions regarding an XD60 full float rear vs a Pro Rock 80? One gives up ring and pinion strength to keep from getting "barber poled". The other gives up height to get strength (better gear mesh on drive side). What would you go with running 40s if you had a choice?

I don't run 40s, but I would go with the 80 myself if I was. Dynatrac also now has a standard-cut (low pinion) full-float 60 if you weren't aware. http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...S-NEW-Dynatrac-ProRock-XD60-Standard-Cut-Axle

Basscat

Thanks WJCO. No. I did not know that. The plot thickens. I'll have to call Dan at Dynatrac and ask what the weight, cost and ground clearance comparisons are between the standard cut XD60 and the Pro Rock 80? I'll bet the pro rock has a better price point especially as part of the Elite Pkg. thanks again!

ttfhell

PR80 all day with 40's and if you are doing the harder trails in CO. That inch of clearance isn't going to do shit when you break a ring and pinion.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Draconianwinter

sorry to thread high jack, but with a leveling kit and 35's would i also need to trim the rock rails?
I was looking at a jkur while my jkr was getting its oil change as i am about to go to 35s. Can't say for certain but if they don't need trimmed it will be very close. The reason i was looking is i was thinking about putting mine back on.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
sorry to thread high jack, but with a leveling kit and 35's would i also need to trim the rock rails?

Yes. You would need to trim both the pinch seam and the rocker guard but just by a bit. Reinstall the plug and you won't even be able to tell anything got chopped.

Basscat

Understood and appreciate that but I guess what I'm wanting to know is what do you guys think about the increased strength in XD60 high pinion pinion bearing, carrier bearings, 10.1" ring gear (5.38s - realize 5.13 would drop to 9.75") even though it's not meshing quite as well on the coast side? I know housing, axle shaft and tube strength aren't really the issue here. So I take it you guys don't think those added strengths make the XD high pinion/full float a viable option?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Understood and appreciate that but I guess what I'm wanting to know is what do you guys think about the increased strength in XD60 high pinion pinion bearing, carrier bearings, 10.1" ring gear (5.38s - realize 5.13 would drop to 9.75") even though it's not meshing quite as well on the coast side? I know housing, axle shaft and tube strength aren't really the issue here. So I take it you guys don't think those added strengths make the XD high pinion/full float a viable option?

Really, it all depends on how hard you really play and how often. I've run a full float ProRock 60 rear for a long time and without too much trouble and an XD60 should hold up better. More than anything, I moved up to a ProRock 80 because I also got an LS under the hood and wanted to make sure the rear end could hold up to the abuse.

Basscat

Yeah. That's my main concern is torque load. I too have a 6.2 LS3 (450hp). Was just curious what you guys thought. Have no experience with that XD60 nor do I know anyone who's run it. Thanks.

Basscat

Still applies to "running 40s" so I'll ask. Does Mel have the King Coil overs valued to where the road ride is tight enough to actually drive mountain roads and rail corners and curves pretty well or does he have the valves more for off road prowess and a bit "soft" on the road? Realize it's all subjective but did he dial in roll center pretty well with those? Also what are your experiences with his bolt on coil over kit and long arms as it relates to on road manners with 1 ton axles and 40s? Don't doubt the off road performance at all. Thanks again.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Still applies to "running 40s" so I'll ask. Does Mel have the King Coil overs valued to where the road ride is tight enough to actually drive mountain roads and rail corners and curves pretty well or does he have the valves more for off road prowess and a bit "soft" on the road? Realize it's all subjective but did he dial in roll center pretty well with those? Also what are your experiences with his bolt on coil over kit and long arms as it relates to on road manners with 1 ton axles and 40s? Don't doubt the off road performance at all. Thanks again.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but you seem to want to throw a lot of money at your Jeep but don't seem to have a clue as to why other than the fact that Mel has it on his Jeep so it must be cool.

Not like I know Mel personally or anything or have run any of his products over the last 10 years but what I can tell you is this. EVO 1 runs DTD's and this is NOT something you can do without a rear cross member. He also has them step up to ride like shit on anything other than bombing across big whoops at 60 MPH or higher. I should also note that running bolt on coil overs SUCK by comparison to DTD's and it's why I ended up upgraded my other JK to them. With big heavy axles, tires and wheels, the bolt on coil overs just can't keep up with all the weight. Me personally, I wouldn't recommend it but Mel is running them on his show Jeep so it must work and work well.

SergJKURhino

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I too am interested in going to 40's and was hoping to get some advice from experienced folks running 40's for a plan of attack in obtaining them. Being that I have bills to pay, I gotta modify in phases and want to do it right the first time around. Please let me know your opinions on my high-level path for my build...

PHASE 1
-axles & gearing
-driveshafts
-steering
-brakes

PHASE 2
-suspension
-body mods incl. bumpers, fenders, tire carrier

PHASE 3
-40x13.5R17 tires
-17x9 beadlock wheels

PHASE 4
-supercharger

Thanks in advance for any insight you can share.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Basscat

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but you seem to want to throw a lot of money at your Jeep but don't seem to have a clue as to why other than the fact that Mel has it on his Jeep so it must be cool.

Not like I know Mel personally or anything or have run any of his products over the last 10 years but what I can tell you is this. EVO 1 runs DTD's and this is NOT something you can do without a rear cross member. He also has them step up to ride like shit on anything other than bombing across big whoops at 60 MPH or higher. I should also note that running bolt on coil overs SUCK by comparison to DTD's and it's why I ended up upgraded my other JK to them. With big heavy axles, tires and wheels, the bolt on coil overs just can't keep up with all the weight. Me personally, I wouldn't recommend it but Mel is running them on his show Jeep so it must work and work well.

No worries. Not taking it wrong at all. Don't know Mel at all. Just curious about a coilover set up but don't need the "bombing across the desert" type set up. More interested in a good coil over / long arm set up that works fairly well on the road even though I'm not talking about a daily driver. Something like maybe the Double D Pro set up or something similar from another provider. I'm really interested in "strong but light" on the axle assemblies which is why I was asking about the XD60 high pinion full float rear. To me the XD60 front is a no brainer for 40s. The XD60 low pinion rear just shown at SEMA won't be produced for a while (at least six months I'm told) so was looking for input on the high pinion rear version with super 60 ring and pinion set. Don't necessarily "need" Pro Rock 80 but it's beginning to look like the better deal as part of the Elite Pkg. other option being a Pro60 full float rear. I've never run a coil over set up so was curious about it. Do have a clue about a few things. Coil over set up not one of them but it's not rocket science. Any input RE: coil over set up great.y appreciated.

Basscat

So now that I read your reply a second time I think I know where we crossed signals. When I say "Mel's valving" I'm not talking about EVO 1 or King Of the Hammers stuff. I'm asking about the settings on ORE's Double D set up (coil over kit / long arm kit). I've never run coil overs and need to know how that specific set up (Double D Pro) will behave with a XD60 front assembly and XD60/Pro Rock 80 rear assembly. If I hear you right the assemblies over power the kit in your opinion? If so, what's your opinion on an alternative? I hear you saying Double Throwdown. What about any standard coil spring / king shock type set up? Don't do much desert running except a bit of New Mexico stuff around Farmington. Most is more crawling around home (Durango, CO) such as Moab, Farmington, the San Juans and front range (Chinaman's, Carnage, Independence). Current set up won't hang with big axles and 40s.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
EVO's bolt on coilovers were not intended for 40" tires and 1 ton axles. Sure, you can do anything you want, but if you want to do it right you need a suspension system that is designed with 40's in mind.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I too am interested in going to 40's and was hoping to get some advice from experienced folks running 40's for a plan of attack in obtaining them. Being that I have bills to pay, I gotta modify in phases and want to do it right the first time around. Please let me know your opinions on my high-level path for my build...

PHASE 1
-axles & gearing
-driveshafts
-steering
-brakes

PHASE 2
-suspension
-body mods incl. bumpers, fenders, tire carrier

PHASE 3
-40x13.5R17 tires
-17x9 beadlock wheels

PHASE 4
-supercharger

Thanks in advance for any insight you can share.

#1 Suspension, bumpers, tire carrier and wheels with an intermediate size tire like a 37. No point lifting your Jeep if you're not going to run bigger tires. Save your money on fenders and trim your factory set.
#2 Forget the supercharger and just save up for axles, drive shafts and ram assist. Brakes and gears will come with your axles.
#3 Sell your 37's and use the money you get from them to help buy 40's

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So now that I read your reply a second time I think I know where we crossed signals. When I say "Mel's valving" I'm not talking about EVO 1 or King Of the Hammers stuff. I'm asking about the settings on ORE's Double D set up (coil over kit / long arm kit). I've never run coil overs and need to know how that specific set up (Double D Pro) will behave with a XD60 front assembly and XD60/Pro Rock 80 rear assembly. If I hear you right the assemblies over power the kit in your opinion? If so, what's your opinion on an alternative? I hear you saying Double Throwdown. What about any standard coil spring / king shock type set up? Don't do much desert running except a bit of New Mexico stuff around Farmington. Most is more crawling around home (Durango, CO) such as Moab, Farmington, the San Juans and front range (Chinaman's, Carnage, Independence). Current set up won't hang with big axles and 40s.

EVO's bolt on coilovers were not intended for 40" tires and 1 ton axles. Sure, you can do anything you want, but if you want to do it right you need a suspension system that is designed with 40's in mind.

What TrainWreck said ^^^^

Top Bottom