scull20's Build of "Equinso Ocha" (aka White Devil)

scull20

Here goes nothing on jinxing myself...but everything seems to be smooth as butter thus far with the lift. Steering feels just like stock thanks to the drag link flip....not major rattles, or vibrations around town on on the highway. The ride is nice...not too stiff, but not too soft. I've still been driving around with a set of "trail tools" in the back incase I find myself on the side of the road somewhere...if anything then I wont need to pack them Friday night before Rausch this weekend.

30 psi seems to be a nice sweet spot for the Mud Grapplers when they're cold. Pressure jumps a few ticks once they warm up and the ride is still decent.

I also think I've figured out a way to get in and jump out of the jeep without smacking my knee on the rock rails or stumbling and looking like an idiot.

Going to mess with my spare tire, evap skid and crossmember skid if it ever stops raining.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I for some reason can use my rails and get in so gracefully on the passenger side....not so much on the driver side so I kinda hop in every time. I did it right at first when it was stock forgetting, yeah hit my head lol.

scull20

I for some reason can use my rails and get in so gracefully on the passenger side....not so much on the driver side so I kinda hop in every time. I did it right at first when it was stock forgetting, yeah hit my head lol.

I have a piece of 80/20 stock running across the roll bar overhead that I mount my CB to...seems to be working well to grab onto, when I don't smack my head into the CB of course. #JeepProblems.

scull20

Cut the third brake light and rigged it back on with a big ass zip tie for now. Legal?...probably not, but better than nothing.

Oh and the spare is back on the tailgate, no spacer required. Thinking of throwing the bumper back on too.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462306714.408700.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462306729.980766.jpg

scull20

Took my crossmember/exhaust skid and placed it over a dip in my driveway and then parked a back tire on top of it. So now it's bent back into shape and while it was there I slid a big adjustable wrench over the angled portion and tweaked it back so it won't contact the exhaust anymore. Just need to bolt it up...rain rain go away.

scull20

More effing rain today...and I have a networking event after work tomorrow. So Friday it is...skids and axle breathers, rain or shine.

scull20

scull20's Build of "Equinso Ocha" (aka White Devil)

Crossmember skid and transfer case skid bolted up, evap skid relocated, axle breathers extended...just as it started to pour again!

scull20

Stretching out the new suspension! The 3" Enforcer Kit truly exceeded every expectation I had yesterday at Rausch.

IMG_0991.jpg

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
You did great yesterday Ryan! You have come a long way since that newbie run! I see more blue/black trips in your future

scull20

You did great yesterday Ryan! You have come a long way since that newbie run! I see more blue/black trips in your future

Thank you Sir, your spotting certainly helps a ton as well. I'm definitely getting way more comfortable around the more difficult obstacles now.

...I should have given that damn hill a shot where we stopped for lunch. There's always next time.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Thank you Sir, your spotting certainly helps a ton as well. I'm definitely getting way more comfortable around the more difficult obstacles now.

...I should have given that damn hill a shot where we stopped for lunch. There's always next time.

Lol! Yes always next trip.

scull20

Gave everything a good once-over underneath. Short of some love for the skid plates, the only 'damage' from yesterday was from loosing one of the metal clips on my rear driveshaft boot. The zip tie seems to be holding tight.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462733181.868894.jpg

scull20

Definitely knocked off a weight or two on my rear driveshaft...don't know how I didn't notice it driving home on Saturday, but driving on the highway today I felt some pretty noticeable vibration around 70mph.

In addition, I've been noticing a vibration at idle when stopped, gets worse when the AC compressor kicks on...is also worse in drive when stopped vs. when in park or neutral. I thought it may have been transmission related, but the vibration is definitely originating from the motor after crawling underneath and feeling around when its running. I can feel the vibration in my seat when stopped, only been noticeable the past 3 weeks or so. I'm pretty positive that this is totally unrelated to the rear DS. Water pump, head problem, harmonic balancer, motor mounts...?

Got an early morning appt at the dealer on Wednesday to address the idle vibration...I'll mention the rear driveshaft to them and see how they "diagnose" it, if they want to charge me an arm and a leg for an OEM shaft, then I'll just order a new one from Trail Jeeps. However, I'm pretty certain that there's a TSB out there for rear DS vibrations on the later year JKs.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
In addition, I've been noticing a vibration at idle when stopped, gets worse when the AC compressor kicks on...is also worse in drive when stopped vs. when in park or neutral. I thought it may have been transmission related, but the vibration is definitely originating from the motor after crawling underneath and feeling around when its running. I can feel the vibration in my seat when stopped, only been noticeable the past 3 weeks or so. I'm pretty positive that this is totally unrelated to the rear DS.

That symptom is pretty typical of worn motor mounts. If it ends up being that, replacing both motor mounts and trans mount at the same time is really a good idea.

scull20

That symptom is pretty typical of worn motor mounts. If it ends up being that, replacing both motor mounts and trans mount at the same time is really a good idea.

Seems like they are pretty accessible, so hopefully I don't get bent over. Surprised they're shot after 40k miles.

WJCO

Meme King
Seems like they are pretty accessible, so hopefully I don't get bent over. Surprised they're shot after 40k miles.

That's pretty low mileage. It could be something else, but what you described is typical of mounts. You could have a torque converter or flex plate issue too, hard to say.

Top Bottom