scull20's Build of "Equinso Ocha" (aka White Devil)

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
After several too many close calls with the rain, I decided to order a "rain-cover" for when I have the jeep stripped down. After reading some mixed reviews on the Bestop cover, I did some more searching and ordered a Rain Gear cover from jeepcovers.com. I ordered the top that is supposed to fit with the tops off totally as well as with a soft top folded down. I was concerned that the cover wouldn't work with the premium twill top folded down because it doesn't quite go AS flat as the standard vinyl top. I made a quick call to the jeep covers number to see what they thought about this issue, and was told that I should be ok even with the twill top.

The cover was delivered yesterday (sorry no pictures at the moment). The material is a very thick, "rubberized" style canvas that is very similar to a quality boat cover. I have no doubt that the cover can take a beating both from the sun, wind, rain, etc. The tie down cinch straps were great quality as well.

Unfortunately, the cover just did not fit well in the back over the folded down twill soft top (as I suspected). I couldn't get it to fit snug/flush against the body in the back, despite trying to adjust things multiple times. That being said, I will be calling to exchange the cover for the one that works with the top up. I never leave home without at least having the soft top folded down in the back...so I figure I'll just put the top up, then throw the cover over the top of it to cover up the door and rear window openings from the elements. The frame of the soft top itself should jeep water from pooling as well.

...more on this in a week or so when the new cover comes in.

Sorry to hear that ryan! I had the rain gear cover if you remember the first time we met and i had rubyann [emoji23] forever ago. I LOVED this cover and will be ordering another one soon for my twodoor. I had this cover on for a "super storm" a few years ago. Not a drop of water. I loved this cover so much. They had good customer service also!

scull20

That's awesome! Hope he gave you a good deal like we discussed last night!

Came down $100 to $3000...he was pretty adamant at not moving with the price. Still not bad for having 66k miles, power (working) everything, leather, etc...for a beater that's not really a beater lol.

Less beating on the jeep driving for work now...and cheaper insurance lol. Win-win.

Last edited:

scull20

Sorry to hear that ryan! I had the rain gear cover if you remember the first time we met and i had rubyann [emoji23] forever ago. I LOVED this cover and will be ordering another one soon for my twodoor. I had this cover on for a "super storm" a few years ago. Not a drop of water. I loved this cover so much. They had good customer service also!

That's awesome, I didn't get a chance to call them today, but I'm sure I'll be happier with the other version of the cover. If not...Steves videos of the bestop in a monsoon have me convinced to give that a whirl as well.

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
That's awesome, I didn't get a chance to call them today, but I'm sure I'll be happier with the other version of the cover. If not...Steves videos of the bestop in a monsoon have me convinced to give that a whirl as well.

Yes, i had the version with the top on. It fit like a glove. Literally. I was so amazed at how they matched every curve of the jk with this cover. This is the cover my dad added in a piece to cover my 50" i had up top on my 4 door. Ill have to see if i can find some old pictures.

On a side note, if i remember correctly, i liked this cover so much because the straps to hold the cover down, their location was perfect. Theres little holes in the JKs frame in the wheel wells that these straps hook too perfectly and hold the cover down really nice.

scull20

Yes, i had the version with the top on. It fit like a glove. Literally. I was so amazed at how they matched every curve of the jk with this cover. This is the cover my dad added in a piece to cover my 50" i had up top on my 4 door. Ill have to see if i can find some old pictures.

On a side note, if i remember correctly, i liked this cover so much because the straps to hold the cover down, their location was perfect. Theres little holes in the JKs frame in the wheel wells that these straps hook too perfectly and hold the cover down really nice.

Yes!!!' I do remember you having the piece added for the lightbar!...and I found the hooks it to be in perfect spots too.

scull20

After a two hour stint at the DMV...I finally got it all registered and whatnot. Here's the fleet as they sit in the driveway. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1469903725.183490.jpg

scull20

Called my insurance company today to inquire about additional coverage for modifications to the jeep. I may bump it up, but I was able to add $4000.00 worth of extra coverage for the modifications for an additional $30.00 for the year on my premium...pretty much a no brainier.

Last edited:

scull20

Thinking of ordering c gussets and rock stars soon for the jeep to be a bit more prepared for the Rausch run in sept.

Wilson has been occupying most of my time with his incessant need to eat, shit, pee and play.

Otherwise, the sable needs brakes and tie rod ends for sure judging by the fact that my seat seems to have a message function on the highway from the constant vibration

scull20

Had to take to pup to emergency clinic this morning...he's been consistently vomiting the past 48 hours. X-Rays came back fine, and he got anti nausea and fluid injections...fingers crossed he holds his food down.

Wilson resting after his long morning.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471125146.257196.jpg

...wallet considerably lighter, I decided to order one the drake fire extinguisher mounts and one of the halgaurd fire extinguishers.

Last edited:

swampdog

Had to take to pup to emergency clinic this morning...he's been consistently vomiting the past 48 hours. X-Rays came back fine, and he got anti nausea and fluid injections...fingers crossed he holds his food down.

Wilson resting after his long morning.
View attachment 217276

...wallet considerably lighter, I decided to order one the drake fire extinguisher mounts and one of the halgaurd fire extinguishers.

Man, I spent $2,000 in vet bills the first few months we had my puppy, so if feel your pain. Stick with it, those little guys are resilient and he will bounce back.

scull20

Man, I spent $2,000 in vet bills the first few months we had my puppy, so if feel your pain. Stick with it, those little guys are resilient and he will bounce back.

We went through a similar rodeo with our golden retriever when we first got him. The corgi is otherwise acting fine, just can't keep his food down. However he seems better now that he's got some fluids in him.

scull20

Exchange rain cover came in today. Much happier with this one, though I wish the back came down an inch or so more by the gate...but I'm just splitting hairs at this point. Also for anyone curious, the doors are removed under the cover and I'm using the dietech off road mirror brackets which locate the mirrors exactly where they would be of the doors were on. That being said, the cutouts for the doors in the cover work perfect.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471473307.788597.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471473320.483441.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471473332.062924.jpg

scull20

Installed the drake fire extinguisher mount at the passenger side footwell as well. I may need to add a shim/spacer if the mount rattles during driving (yet to be seen) but otherwise it's easily reachable and useable from the drivers seat. I'll probably end up removing the fire extinguisher when my fiancé is riding shotgun if we're going around town, for more foot room.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471473550.433376.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471473562.322861.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471473572.376838.jpg

scull20

Somewhat tracked down a VERY annoying rear end squeak today. Hit the sway bar mounts, end links and all hardware with some WD-40. I also tightened the u-bolts on the track at relo bracket. All of that seems to have done the trick.

...squeak free is the way to be

scull20

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473620548.184047.jpg

I had some fire extinguisher and first aid kit decals made up and also bought some American flag decals for the cowl. I'm happy with how they all turned out.

scull20

Got caught about 10 min from home in a torrential downpour and nasty thunderstorm while doorless and topless the other day. I pulled off the highway to a rest-stop under a gas station awning. I popped the hood and told the attendant that I was overheating so he would leave me alone while I waited out the rain lol.

Floor mats were full of water and I was soaked by the time I got home. The Tuffy deck in the back kept everything from getting soaked, but water started to leak in on the bottom near the sides.

Overall, a pretty moist afternoon.

scull20

Couple highlights from Rausch this past weekend. An overall awesome run and fantastic time with friends. Front bumper and skids got some lovin', but otherwise no issues to note. Definitely getting more comfortable on the difficult trails, under Steve's tutelage. However, I still refuse to do the trails that appear to have the Zika Virus, Swine Flu, and/or Ebola at the end of them....the fact that those trails happen to have very large rocks throughout them is purely a coincidence.

7D_18556.jpg
CL1A0064.jpg
CL1A0175.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474840543.714359.jpg

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
Couple highlights from Rausch this past weekend. An overall awesome run and fantastic time with friends. Front bumper and skids got some lovin', but otherwise no issues to note. Definitely getting more comfortable on the difficult trails, under Steve's tutelage. However, I still refuse to do the trails that appear to have the Zika Virus, Swine Flu, and/or Ebola at the end of them....the fact that those trails happen to have very large rocks throughout them is purely a coincidence.

I think we drove through plague water several times this past weekend! I can see where the legend of Rausch Water comes from - there was some nasty looking shit there :icon_crazy:

Top Bottom