Shark "Tank"

Sharkey

Word Ninja
My second Pelican 1500 showed up today. Time to start building my "kitchen". More often than not, I just use my Jetboil to cook. It's fast and easy.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1451506324.598709.jpg

Here are both boxes under my deck. I still have plenty of room.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1451506362.270278.jpg

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I've used this for a couple years. Holds other stuff good (channel locks, crescent etc?as well as has adjustable straps to hold stuff tight. Will sit on the wheel well carpet perfect for quick access. View attachment 158980

I just got one of these and loaded it up with some new tools. I'm actually surprised how nice it is considering the price. Thanks for the recommendation!

ttfhell

I just got one of these and loaded it up with some new tools. I'm actually surprised how nice it is considering the price. Thanks for the recommendation!

I was pretty impressed. You can stuff more stuff than you think with the straps. I always have about 25 zip ties in there too.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I was pretty impressed. You can stuff more stuff than you think with the straps. I always have about 25 zip ties in there too.

Yeah. I need to get another one to make an electrical kit, complete with zip ties, connectors, shrink wrap, etc.

Sharkey check out Sea To Summits X-Pot. I am slowly converting over and more often using my backpacking gear car camping. It's way more compact and easier to haul around.

I'm a big fan of the jet boil and is my go to stove that never leaves my pack. With the wife and kid now it's a little to small and I don't like feeding my kid the freeze dried salt packs (mountain house and the like). And I make a strong effort never to cook in the Jet Boil itself cause they are a pain to clean.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I have been looking at the sea to summit stuff and plan to go that route. I've heard that the silicone has a tendency to stain and hold smells but I don't really care. The size and packability is great.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I have been looking at the sea to summit stuff and plan to go that route. I've heard that the silicone has a tendency to stain and hold smells but I don't really care. The size and packability is great.

I thought all your toys were silicone? :idontknow: ;)

WJCO

Meme King
Sharkey check out Sea To Summits X-Pot. I am slowly converting over and more often using my backpacking gear car camping. It's way more compact and easier to haul around.

Same here. Almost all my car camping gear is backpacking stuff now. Even with a family of 5, my wife is very understanding. Camping with more compact gear is much more enjoyable for us.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Just picked up some Milwaukee 6 in 1 wire strippers. Damn they are stout. I'm kind of mad I didn't get these a long time ago.

Hot94Z28

Just picked up some Milwaukee 6 in 1 wire strippers. Damn they are stout. I'm kind of mad I didn't get these a long time ago.

I have been using Milwaukee cordless tools for awhile and have always been impressed with their quality.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I have been slowly building a set, starting with the M18 impact and driver. I just spent about $100 on a bunch of hand tools and they are soooo much nicer than the crap I have been carrying around and using for several decades.

I'm officially a Milwaukee fanboy now. That, and Tekton.

Hot94Z28

I have been slowly building a set, starting with the M18 impact and driver. I just spent about $100 on a bunch of hand tools and they are soooo much nicer than the crap I have been carrying around and using for several decades.

I'm officially a Milwaukee fanboy now. That, and Tekton.

Agreed I have two M12 drills and a M18 along with a M12 skill saw and sawzall. With refinishing my basement been putting all that stuff through their paces and have been impressed.

I will have to give those wire strippers a look I have been using a craftsman set that has been getting me by.

Hot94Z28

Another thing you might check out is their impact bits, when I was doing the drywall I was impressed how long those bits lasted.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Fridge is cold (too cold at 25 degrees) but I thought I'd see what kind of draw/recharge I would get. Cold winter day but the sun is decent enough to get 7 watts in with one panel and not too much fuss aiming the solar. Fridge is only drawing 9. With a second panel I would be charging and not drawing. Very cool.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1451689104.376855.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1451689131.028904.jpg

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Cut and carpeted an extra divider for under the deck. It will give additional support for heavy loads but I can easily pop it out if necessary.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1451690786.150044.jpg

So awesome you are posting all this up.

My mind is already set on getting Goal Zero stuff now all based off this thread. Hopefully I get geared up for a three week road trip the wife and I have planed in March.

Durability wise are you happy with everything so far? Anything you would do differently or not buy?

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Shark "Tank"

Time will tell when I get out into the woods and inclement weather, but so far I like the set up. I considered going with one large, 60 watt fold up panel but I decided I would have more versatility with separate panels. The nomad 20's aren't cheap though at about $200 each. My plan is to have four.

Also, I'm finding that some sort of a frame for the panels will help with aiming. I am going to make a lightweight, breakdown frame made out of aluminum rods. I've seen a slick setup using carbon rods (that's what I'm going to copy) but I'm not sure I can source them locally so I may use aluminum.

Last edited:

JeepDrum

Also, I'm finding that some sort of a frame for the panels will help with aiming. I am going to make a lightweight, breakdown frame made out of aluminum rods. I've seen a slick setup using carbon rods (that's what I'm going to copy) but I'm not sure I can source them locally so I may use aluminum.

Could you use carbon arrows for the rods? One can find cheap arrows on amazon for around $25 for a six-pack. The longer ones are usually around 32".

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Could you use carbon arrows for the rods? One can find cheap arrows on amazon for around $25 for a six-pack. The longer ones are usually around 32".

Interesting. Never thought of that. Maybe I'll check out our local Sportsman Warehouse. I need two at 22" and two at 12". This is what it looks like.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1451718437.749440.jpg

I know the local SW custom cuts arrows.

Top Bottom