Show Off Your Guns!

GraniteCrystal

If this is a nightstand/backcountry/vehicle gun, why on earth are you looking at small single stacks? This is where a full size service pistol comes in. Add a light, get compatible holsters, and go about your day. Full size have better track records for reliability, are heavier for better recoil management, provide a better sight picture, hold more rounds, and are generally easier to shoot. It will be a bit large in your wife's hands, but .45 is a pretty gentle caliber.

As far as caliber, I love me some .45. But I very rarely shoot .45, and when I do, its in a 1911. Assuming this is not your only gun, but needs to fill these roles, I would have a hard time passing up a G21, and then finding a 10mm barrel, a couple of mags, and a recoil spring assembly. Keep it in .45 for home and general use, swap over to 10mm (and buy real 10mm ammo, not "10mm" loaded down to basically .40 specs) for woods use.

You end up with a cartridge that is passable as a woods gun, but significantly better than anything offered in the 3 calibers you initially listed. Should probably be under $200 to add the caliber to a G21. Can also drop down to 9mm as well, about the same cost.

If you are set on an XDs in the calibers you listed, get the 9mm. Better to have 2 extra rounds than the marginally bigger hole of the .45 with ammo that is hasnt really been given proper attention to recent developments, and .40 is dying, even in LEO circles. There is almost zero practical advantages that anyone can argue against 9mm (with a good round like Fed HST) anymore.
It's got to do double duty. Yes, next to bed. But also need to easily pack on 3-8 mile hikes in the backcountry when I already have 30-100lbs on my back. Thus, small, polymer, lightweight is key.

el_chupo_

It's got to do double duty. Yes, next to bed. But also need to easily pack on 3-8 mile hikes in the backcountry when I already have 30-100lbs on my back. Thus, small, polymer, lightweight is key.

I certainly understand, ounces = pounds, and all.
But
An XDs 9mm is 23oz unloaded, A G19 is 23.6 oz unloaded, and a G21 is about 30oz, unloaded. Heck, a G26 loaded up is the same weight as a loaded XDs, and you even get extra rounds, and can use a full size mag too.

Assuming an XDS with the 8 rd mag + 1 you are talking about a 3.5oz difference in 9mm going to a G19 with 15+1. or if you were talking full size G21/G20 10mm, loaded up, roughly 39oz.

That is 13oz difference to go with a vastly superior backwoods gun in 10mm vs the other mentioned calibers.( and 1-1.75lbs lighter than WJCO's SW500, unloaded!).

If not that, I would still say that a G19 is a much better option than the XDs at the same weight (except ammo weight, but same number of rounds without the spare mag) with much of the same advantages in capacity and ease of use for mentioned purposes, and at least then you can get some +P+ rounds for those backpacking adventures, and still have a reasonable chance of a followup shot...

Im not poo-pooing the XDs, its a fine pistol for what it is - but it does not shine (or even really place decently) on any of your 3 stated needs for the weapon. Guns like the XDs, Shield, G43, PM9/CM9, P938, LC9 - they are all basically one trick pony's for concealed carry, and relatively poor general use guns outside of that role.

With all that said, if you are getting it because you want an XDs, then drive on - I would still rock 9mm.

GraniteCrystal

But
An XDs 9mm is 23oz unloaded, A G19 is 23.6 oz unloaded, and a G21 is about 30oz, unloaded. Heck, a G26 loaded up is the same weight as a loaded XDs, and you even get extra rounds, and can use a full size mag too.

Assuming an XDS with the 8 rd mag + 1 you are talking about a 3.5oz difference in 9mm going to a G19 with 15+1. or if you were talking full size G21/G20 10mm, loaded up, roughly 39oz.

That is 13oz difference to go with a vastly superior backwoods gun in 10mm vs the other mentioned calibers.( and 1-1.75lbs lighter than WJCO's SW500, unloaded!).

If not that, I would still say that a G19 is a much better option than the XDs at the same weight (except ammo weight, but same number of rounds without the spare mag) with much of the same advantages in capacity and ease of use for mentioned purposes, and at least then you can get some +P+ rounds for those backpacking adventures, and still have a reasonable chance of a followup shot...

Im not poo-pooing the XDs, its a fine pistol for what it is - but it does not shine (or even really place decently) on any of your 3 stated needs for the weapon. Guns like the XDs, Shield, G43, PM9/CM9, P938, LC9 - they are all basically one trick pony's for concealed carry, and relatively poor general use guns outside of that role.

With all that said, if you are getting it because you want an XDs, then drive on - I would still rock 9mm.
Great food for thought El Chupo. Let me do some researching and pondering and get back. Much thanks.

nds501

granite...you really need one of each. i recommend a 9mm for the range. a 40 for concealed carry. and a sweet 1911 45 just because it is a badass gun.

i have a 40 xd sub compact that i planned for concealed carry but most of the time i carry my baby desert eagle 40. i like the weight of a heavier gun. the xd stays on the nightstand
20170314_195618.jpg

GraniteCrystal

granite...you really need one of each. i recommend a 9mm for the range. a 40 for concealed carry. and a sweet 1911 45 just because it is a badass gun.

i have a 40 xd sub compact that i planned for concealed carry but most of the time i carry my baby desert eagle 40. i like the weight of a heavier gun. the xd stays on the nightstand
View attachment 248201
I love the use of the world "need" in your first sentence :)

As much as I'd love to, funds are limited and I'd rather the money go into the Jeep than a 2nd and 3rd gun.

robx251

Caught the Bug
If you need a double duty gun the 10mm is the way to go. It's about the same power as a 41mag and in the Glock 20 frame it has 15+1 capacity. If you use some real full 10mm loads like those from underwood and buffalo bore they have some serious wallop. It is a bit more expensive to shoot than even 45 but the performance is undeniable. It was my side arm carry load for hunting until I got my 44mag. you can also get a lone wolf barrel and convert it to 40 for target practice. But this too well be more expensive than 9mm. Another great Option is the Eaa witness in polymer tag is available in 10mm and can convert the slide and everything to a 9mm if memory serves. It is based on the venerable cz75 platform.

Sent from my D6708 using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

But

The weight thing is quite interesting. Same weight unloaded but the G19 is a larger overall package. Wider, taller, longer.

How do people feel about the Glock trigger. Agreed that 1) you are your own best safety and 2) when I hold the gun and squeeze the trigger it should fire but why not put a grip safety like the XDs? I like that I don't have to worry about dropping it in the woods and something hitting the trigger causing the gun to go off.

el_chupo_

I dont want to be the only one giving opinions, but if you are comparing any semi-cocked striker fire trigger to a good single action, 1911, or rifle trigger, they suck.

If you are comparing Glock triggers to others, they are middle of the road, a bit mushy, but consistent, good reset, and simple. They can be changed - lighter, heavier, stronger springs with same feel, full drop in triggers, lots of options.

They have a drop, firing pin, and trigger safety, so the odds of one going off on the forest floor are pretty dang slim.

If that is a concern, M&P's are available with a thumb safety, and I think at least one company makes an aftermarket safety for a glock. I wouldnt ever put it on one, but it is around.

As to the grip safety - dont get me wrong, I love some 1911 - but get all that extraneous crap that can restrict handling, cause potential malfunction, prevent slide manipulation, or requires a specific grip to work away from mine. I want the simplest, most reliable, nothing to go wrong, easy to fix, always go bang I can get my hands on that meets my needs. Thumb safety, sure. Grip safety - OK, but I dont believe it offers any real benefits, and I like Glocks, so I dont lean toward XDs. Im not saying its a bad platform, but it is a $250 Croation pistol that Springfield tested, imported, and did a hell of a job with marketing. Not a slight against it, but be aware. It is a Croation military and police side arm, so it does have some vetting on that front (you wont find much in use in LEO or .MIL roles in the US, if that is something you look for), along with almost 20 years of history behind it.

JamesCo

Haha. Right! Spikes tactical and BCM upper.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yea, I kinda figured the BCM. We've had a few DD's. Still have one but we are going to build some more Armalites to make it a full Armalite house. I use Armalite upper and lowers with JP Rifles barrel, hand guard and gas block. Our AR10's are 9 1/2 lbs and are unbelievable to shoot. Smooth and accurate. Probably give the DD to my brother.

JamesCo

JamesCo

Yea, I kinda figured the BCM. We've had a few DD's. Still have one but we are going to build some more Armalites to make it a full Armalite house. I use Armalite upper and lowers with JP Rifles barrel, hand guard and gas block. Our AR10's are 9 1/2 lbs and are unbelievable to shoot. Smooth and accurate. Probably give the DD to my brother.

JamesCo

IMG_0148.jpg

DD AR15 on top and Armalite AR10's middle and bottom.

JamesCo

Top Bottom