Show Off Your Guns!

Ddays

Hooked
Figure a 9 or a 45 is gonna mess up a human bad either way. Its the other critters you mentioned that would push me to the 45.

krappy krawler

Wow, strong showing for the 45. I had been leaning more towards the 9mm. More than enough power to take out a bad dude, more capacity, lighter recoil. Is the extra power of a 45 worth decreasing capacity by two rounds and having more recoil (so less accurate)?

Takes many rounds to become familiar with what you like. Keep in mind price and availability of the ammo, I say stick with the 9mm plenty big enough bullet and less worry about ammo price and needing to find it. One mans gun will not be another's.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

thombull

Retired now but my department didn't even allow 9 mm because they are too much of a liability risk. They don't stop, meaning they go through people and continue through a wall into the next apartment and hit someone else.

I personally, seen someone that had been shot nine times with a 9 mm, get up and walk out of a house as I arrived. You want a round that is going to have a hard impact at first, then you want it to slow down and become as big as possible, to create as much damage as possible.

Sent from my QMV7A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Retired now but my department didn't even allow 9 mm because they are too much of a liability risk. They don't stop, meaning they go through people and continue through a wall into the next apartment and hit someone else.

I personally, seen someone that had been shot nine times with a 9 mm, get up and walk out of a house as I arrived. You want a round that is going to have a hard impact at first, then you want it to slow down and become as big as possible, to create as much damage as possible.

I always thought this was a difference in the type of round you used (JHP vs FMJ etc...) not caliber. I could see caliber making some difference obviously, but not as much as a personal defense vs a target round. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

I have a 40 and like it, but my wife doesn't. She thinks it has too harsh of a kick. She'd probably prefer a .22 or pellet gun though lol

xman4602

Wow, strong showing for the 45. I had been leaning more towards the 9mm. More than enough power to take out a bad dude, more capacity, lighter recoil. Is the extra power of a 45 worth decreasing capacity by two rounds and having more recoil (so less accurate)?

I would never want to confront a grizzly with a 9mm.
Or a .45 for that matter. If it's in your budget get the Springfield in 9mm and buy a .357 revolver for the hunting trips. If it's a budget issue .45. However 9mm is much cheaper for practice sessions.
I heard no break down in the percentages for range time! You need to train and practice with everyone who will be firing this weapon regularly. Safety first.

JamesCo

They all will kill a human. European countries love the 9. Americans love the .45. I love German pistols in American .45. Like someone said, a 9 won't do anything on a bear. But a .45 isn't much better. I have a S&W .44 mag as a backup for my dream Alaska hunt. But they also say that that won't be enough. Buy what you like. Almost anything in your hand is better than empty hands!!

madstiles

I prefer .40 wife prefers 9mm both will piss off a bear lol I'd suggest you get out to a gun shop with a range and try all 3 calibers the xds is a light gun and with that short a barrel the. 40 and 45 are going to be snappy I had a xdm in .49 with a 3.8" barrel and it was pretty snappy shot a Sig Sauer p229 and fell in love

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Doesn't WJCO have a bazooka gun for moose in his Jeep?

500 magnum. I only carry it in moose country. Not a practical gun by any means. It costs about 2 dollars per round to even practice with. But it will stop any of the above threats. There's a pic of it somewhere in this thread.

GraniteCrystal

500 magnum. I only carry it in moose country. Not a practical gun by any means. It costs about 2 dollars per round to even practice with. But it will stop any of the above threats. There's a pic of it somewhere in this thread.
I just run like a bat out of hell when a moose charges

James_P

My g19 gen 4. Its my first handgun, first gun ever actually. Picked it up a year ago. Serves its purpose as a nightstand gun/range gun, since NJ is [emoji90] and you can't CC [emoji23] IMG_0263.JPG

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I carry .40 and that has been my caliber of choice for over 20 years. With the improvements in 9mm though, I am seriously considering switching to get the extra capacity while having something comfortable enough for my wife and kids to enjoy shooting. That said, I have never thought of any "normal" semi-auto pistol as effective for bears and cats. I have a friend who used a 9mm on a Rott...multiple rounds just skipped off of its skull. The tough SOB (the dog) got bored and walked away but never dropped.

el_chupo_

What are people's thoughts on caliber size for this scenario?

It'll be a Springfield XDs, 3.5" barrel. It'll be in my safe by my bed 60% of the time, in the Jeep 30% of the time, and on my person in the backcountry 10% of the time.

Main threat is human, with a little cougar and black bear mixed in. I do sometimes go back home to MT and hunt there where there are Grizzlies. That's about 3 days every other year.

Options: 9mm, 40S&W, or 45ACP.

Capacity decreases by one with each step up in caliber.

I'm primary shooter. Wife is secondary. I'm big; she's small.

If this is a nightstand/backcountry/vehicle gun, why on earth are you looking at small single stacks? This is where a full size service pistol comes in. Add a light, get compatible holsters, and go about your day. Full size have better track records for reliability, are heavier for better recoil management, provide a better sight picture, hold more rounds, and are generally easier to shoot. It will be a bit large in your wife's hands, but .45 is a pretty gentle caliber.

As far as caliber, I love me some .45. But I very rarely shoot .45, and when I do, its in a 1911. Assuming this is not your only gun, but needs to fill these roles, I would have a hard time passing up a G21, and then finding a 10mm barrel, a couple of mags, and a recoil spring assembly. Keep it in .45 for home and general use, swap over to 10mm (and buy real 10mm ammo, not "10mm" loaded down to basically .40 specs) for woods use.

You end up with a cartridge that is passable as a woods gun, but significantly better than anything offered in the 3 calibers you initially listed. Should probably be under $200 to add the caliber to a G21. Can also drop down to 9mm as well, about the same cost.

If you are set on an XDs in the calibers you listed, get the 9mm. Better to have 2 extra rounds than the marginally bigger hole of the .45 with ammo that is hasnt really been given proper attention to recent developments, and .40 is dying, even in LEO circles. There is almost zero practical advantages that anyone can argue against 9mm (with a good round like Fed HST) anymore.

Top Bottom