Snorkel? Or Snorkel!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I'll admit I haven't done much research on current snorkels and their designs. This is the 1st I've heard of people losing power, though? Is there restriction from the intake length or increased micron filters being used? It should be getting clean and cool air at all times. Cooler air is denser, thus making more power :thinking:

It's been quite some time since I read it, but I recall AEV or perhaps even Rugged Ridge running some dyno tests. If memory serves, the issue was with the choke of the airflow as the snorkel dives under the hood. Again, I could be wrong because it was some time ago, but I believe there was a clear loss of power on the dynos.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
It's been quite some time since I read it, but I recall AEV or perhaps even Rugged Ridge running some dyno tests. If memory serves, the issue was with the choke of the airflow as the snorkel dives under the hood. Again, I could be wrong because it was some time ago, but I believe there was a clear loss of power on the dynos.

I agree with you here Sharkey. When I was into street bikes years back and running carbureted air intakes, the big thing was "ram air" intakes. So on my Kawasaki ZX-7R I was getting additional airbox pressurization due to the incoming air, which then increase air intake into the engine. Result, instant horsepower. I was amazed at how that thing pulled when it hit 80mph plus, I could just feel the extra horsepower. It was significant.

So yeh, having more bends in the air intake will definitely reduce horsepower (i.e. fuel economy also).

LeighP

As long as the cross sectional area of the snorkel intake is larger than the inlet to the airbox, then there won't be a power loss.
One of my local club's members fitted a 1st generation AEV he bought 2nd hand (suits a 3.8) to his 3.6 and it apparently was restrictive. The 2nd gen AEV has a larger cross section.
When we cross deeper water, people here often use a poly tarp stretched across the front of the 4WD, or one of the commercially made tailored water "bra" covers...these cover the whole front of the 4WD and create a trapped air bubble in the engine bay and as long as you keep moving, it stops the engine bay flooding or water pressure causing problems with the radiator or fan.
Many years ago, I was crossing a river and mistakenly took a slightly different line to the Toyota I'd watched cross before. I ended up with water over the hood and a 3" bow wave off the windscreen. Would not like to repeat that, but I didn't kill the little 4WD I had at the time.....did impress the people watching, though.... lol. :doh: (didn't impress me all that much.... :eek: )

msa_waterbra.jpg

Commandojk13

Dammit ok I go through deep water often. So I should get fluid changes now on everything because it might be messed up and I don't know it? I don't get it, I thought jeeps were designed to do this? How is the water getting in the diff, I thought that was all sealed? The auto Trans too?

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Dammit ok I go through deep water often. So I should get fluid changes now on everything because it might be messed up and I don't know it? I don't get it, I thought jeeps were designed to do this? How is the water getting in the diff, I thought that was all sealed? The auto Trans too?

Jeeps are capable of doing this but to a limit. They aren't boats. The diff breather (stock) goes up to the bottom of your body. If you have been in water deep enough, some will have gotten into the diffs. The auto trans isn't subject to the pressure loss (by pressing in the clutch) that the manual trans is so you should be fine.

WJCO

Meme King

I relocated my front diff breather and used flex seal around where the breather tube meets the diff. I still get water in my diff. I got a good buddy who runs a 4x4 shop who told me once, if you run through water that comes up to your bumper, change your diff fluids anyway just to be safe. Just one of those things, your fluid may be fine, may not, not worth the risk. Water finds it's way in. I'm not saying you're going to have a ton of problems, just something to keep in mind. You can pull the fill plugs on all 3 gearboxes and see if there are any signs of fluid. I need to change my front diff fluid and my tcase, but for some reason, the rear diff didn't get any water in it. Who knows? I'm planning on changing gears in a couple months and will just do it then.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
No, not everyone does but some of us do. That being said, what's more fool proof than a snorkel is knowledge. As I have said before, I have yet to see or hear about a trail here in America where a snorkel is "needed". This is not to say that I haven't personally seen and assisted rigs that had hydro-locked their motors but all those instances were the result of driver error or just plain stupidity. Speed is your enemy when it comes to water crossings, you can ruin an engine in just a puddle if you hit it too fast. I know a guy who ruined his brand new JK with less than 500 miles on it doing just that. If you take your time and slowly push through the water, you'd be surprised at how deep your Jeep can go without a snorkel.

Of course, if you like to play in water or mud like a moron, a snorkel might be useful to have. :crazyeyes:

I agree, knowledge is power. If you know how to use something as simple as a tarp, you can actually ford some seriously deep water without a snorkel.

Having said that, I think and AEV hood and a snorkel looks absolutely badass, and the AEV snorkel actually does function like true CAI, so if I was to buy it, it would be for those reasons, with a bonus of a little water safety, but that's basically it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Again, I have absolutely no issues with people who want to buy stuff for the Jeep just because they like the way it looks or because they choose to believe it'll help improve performance or because they like to do stupid things and need a bit more protection. My only issue is when I hear people say something is "needed". If that really is true, I'd like proof of it.

LeighP

After mopping muddy water out of the bottom of my airbox, I had to put my AEV on the list of mods.....maybe it was "want" over "need', but it seemed way to easy to slosh water up the inside of the front corner of the engine bay for my liking....and water crossings are not unusual here......sometimes I wish we had some high desert handy, lol.

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
Chill out. A point was being made and you are missing it. Especially on JKs, water deep enough to actually require a snorkel is going to cause significant other problems. In addition, if you misjudge the flow of water at that depth, you could end up in seriously more trouble than just a hydrolocked motor.

Not quite sure why I need to chill out. I don't recall saying anything inflammatory.

Just found it amusing that someone was asking for first hand experience with the snorkels available and many individuals were telling him they were not needed but no one chiming in resided in FL where the OP is.

But hey, it's moronic to blast through mud puddles because no one buys a jeep to have fun out in nature:)

Galo

Hey Commando JK13,
Part of the issue is seal design. Axle seals are meant, primarily, to keep oil in, not so much to keep water out. You may be surprised at the amount of intrusion after only " a little" water crossing.
I always check drivetrain fluids after playing in water or mud, sometimes after hard or prolonged rain. I know fluids are not cheap, but maintenance like this is cheap insurance for long component life.
Also, there are external axle tube 'seals' available on the market, however, I have no knowledge of how well they work, maybe someone else here at Wayalife does
I realize I can be 'anal' about this kind of thing, I usually am.
Good Day and God Bless.
Galo.

Last edited:

Commandojk13

Well thank you for all the replies and the back and fourth to come to the conclusion that snorkels are not needed.
I would like to look into extending breather tubes and what not though, just incase. I probably have to change my fluids since I have gone through salt water that touched the base of my body. I went through a carwash after but there is most likely water in places it shouldn't be now. worse yet its salt water..

anyone have some pics of finshed look of extended breather tubes or what you did to accomplish this?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well thank you for all the replies and the back and fourth to come to the conclusion that snorkels are not needed.
I would like to look into extending breather tubes and what not though, just incase. I probably have to change my fluids since I have gone through salt water that touched the base of my body. I went through a carwash after but there is most likely water in places it shouldn't be now. worse yet its salt water..

anyone have some pics of finshed look of extended breather tubes or what you did to accomplish this?

I have a write-up on how to extend an axle breather hose here.
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?5197-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Axle-Breather-Hose-Extension

The same can be done with all your breather hoses.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
Not quite sure why I need to chill out. I don't recall saying anything inflammatory.

Just found it amusing that someone was asking for first hand experience with the snorkels available and many individuals were telling him they were not needed but no one chiming in resided in FL where the OP is.

But hey, it's moronic to blast through mud puddles because no one buys a jeep to have fun out in nature:)

Your original comment is what is moronic. Yes a thread asking for comments on snorkels actually involved opinions stating that they maybe aren't necessary, can you believe that.

You were then the one who made the smart ass comment about some people wheeling every trail which no one ever said.

Sure I think snorkels can look cool, not sure I would spend the money on one though before the infinite list of other upgrades. My point was that if you are taking water over the factory intake, you've got a shit load of other problems.

But sure, go have your fun.

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
Your original comment is what is moronic. Yes a thread asking for comments on snorkels actually involved opinions stating that they maybe aren't necessary, can you believe that.

You were then the one who made the smart ass comment about some people wheeling every trail which no one ever said.

Sure I think snorkels can look cool, not sure I would spend the money on one though before the infinite list of other upgrades. My point was that if you are taking water over the factory intake, you've got a shit load of other problems.

But sure, go have your fun.

My original comment in this thread covered my experience with the snorkel I personally installed. Not sure what's moronic about providing first hand experience?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My original comment in this thread covered my experience with the snorkel I personally installed. Not sure what's moronic about providing first hand experience?

:cheesy: For the love of god, it was just an opinion posted up on the internet. No need to get so butthurt over someone thinking you're a moron for feeling the "need" to have a snorkel just so that you "have fun in nature" blowing through mud and water like an idiot. :crazyeyes:

Top Bottom