So, I test drove a JKU today...

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
i like you came from the TJ world and had bought a 15' 6 sp 2 door JK and 3:73 gears and traded my 99' TJ 5 sp and 4:10 gears. i was so used to the 4l engines and where they give the power and ii commented the same thing as you in the feeling. it just felt soo lite that it was me that was stalling it frequently as i was not used to the feel. it was like when i went from my first jeep an 87' with the old 4.2 and manual to a 94' 4l manual. it felt like i had to wind the rubber band to get it to move.....(carb to fuel injection) once i got the 99 TJ 4l manual i was so used to the feel of the straight 6 that the V6 was way off. i've traded the 2 door manual for a 13' 4 door now, but stayed with the manual as i'm used to it now and it feels the power farther into the rpm then the 4l. the old 4l would tap out at 2500 rpm or it would feel like it was going to explode, but the new JK's power doesn't really come on till 2500 rpm, then you feel it. i've driven the automatic JK's and do like them, but i don't feel at this point that need one.....the wife has no desire to drive the jeep, so i might as well drive what i want.... :)

in saying all that, you will get used to the clutch (if you buy one) and will find the sweet spot that you like. it will allow to merge into traffic so much better once you train and learn the new power band.
I'm thinking I'll get used to the clutch. I'm going to try another dealer that has the Rubicon with a manual transmission to see how it feels.

Still, I feel like a fraud in some ways because I never built the TJ and really love the rawness and rough edges of it. But down the road, if I have a major lifestyle change and buy a second house upstate, or whatever, I can always go and hunt down another one, or an old CJ.

Thanks for the comment. I thought I was just being overly critical about how the clutch felt.

rockwell

I daily drove a samurai for 5-6 years, talk about crude. I loved driving it but would never go back to it after driving my rubicon. You'll quickly get used to the shifting and clutch, took a little adjustment but now it's fine

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
Thanks for all the comments. This is why the forum is an absolute great source of info and truly helps me to make decisions.

Basscat

The blonde in my life keeps offering a new Jeep JKUR for me, because she hates the TJ (I think the rough ride and loud noises build character... some women are weird, but she's awesome for even thinking about offering me a new Jeep!).

I test drove a JKU Sport S a couple of weeks ago. I liked (more than liked) everything about it except for a few things. One was the way the clutch felt like a feather when I'd put the Jeep into gear. The second was how the engine torque wouldn't move the Jeep forward like my 4.0L engine does without stepping on the accelerator. And third was the anti-roll back function.

So, a second test drive, and the clutch still feels to light and doesn't give the feed back or torque of the TJ. The anti-roll back thing I can probably overlook, but it isn't something I'd have wanted being somewhat a purist about my manual transmission.

Am I silly for not wanting the Jeep so much because of the clutch and seeming lack of torque in low end rpms? I was planning a build of the TJ that started going well into low five digits, which would make it an awesome rig without the $45k price tag of a JKUR. I know I've brought this quandary up before and backed off because of the money and me helping my daughters with college, but I'm pretty well able to take on the payments.

That little 4.0 TJ engine is like a tractor engine. It will develop 80% of it's torque from idle. The newer V6s just won't feel the same especially with "fly by wire' accelerator pedals. I had a manual TJ (4.88s and 37s). It's wheeling the way it use to be! Completely different feel. You might ask yourself "Are you really going to stay with the 32" tires?" Before you go changing gears. Would hate to see you do it twice. You might also consider an automatic with the new JK. Pretty nice overall. I don't know that I'd go deeper than 4.88 with the 32" tires though. So many people start out thinking exactly as you do only to go bigger with the tires and beef up the front (think PR44) in the end. Try and look really hard down the road. You might save yourself some money doing it right now. I say that from experience with my jeeps over the years.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

JK4Me

As gheller clearly pointed out, the gearing is significantly influencing the torque applied to the rear wheels. One thing I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned is the weight difference between a TJ and a JKU. It's a big difference. I love the 4.0, but the 3.6 is an excellent engine, and a 4.0 in the JKU would not do noticeably better. Go drive a Rubi with a manual and 4.10 and I think you will be surprised. I suggest keeping the TJ and getting the Rubi. You'll be glad you did.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I agree. I had an '01 TJ manual - when I went to the '07 JKU with 4.10 manual, it was a different drive - but that was with the 3.8 L which did seem a little underpowered for the weight of the vehicle.

When I went to my '12 JKU manual, the new engine made a lot of difference, even with the 3.73 ratio.

I've now got a '14 JK two door with the manual, and even with only the 3.21 ratio, the weight difference makes it feel much more responsive.

But whatever the case, I would always go manual - even when I have to drive in rush hour Toronto bumper to bumper. I just feel like I am the master, in control, and not a passenger along the for the ride. :)

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
That little 4.0 TJ engine is like a tractor engine. It will develop 80% of it's torque from idle. The newer V6s just won't feel the same especially with "fly by wire' accelerator pedals. I had a manual TJ (4.88s and 37s). It's wheeling the way it use to be! Completely different feel. You might ask yourself "Are you really going to stay with the 32" tires?" Before you go changing gears. Would hate to see you do it twice. You might also consider an automatic with the new JK. Pretty nice overall. I don't know that I'd go deeper than 4.88 with the 32" tires though. So many people start out thinking exactly as you do only to go bigger with the tires and beef up the front (think PR44) in the end. Try and look really hard down the road. You might save yourself some money doing it right now. I say that from experience with my jeeps over the years.

I'll go larger on the tires and redo gearing with new axles down the road with at least a long arm lift. Going with a new Unlimited Rubicon will give me some options my stock TJ wouldn't have, but put the build off a little with the payments eating up build money. One thing that will be a plus is stuff like larger ProGrip brakes for the Jk, with the bells and whistles of ABS that the TJ wouldn't be able to get. But, I'd be able to jump right in a vehicle with lockers instead of having to shell out $11k in axles (Dana 30s and 35s arent worth putting lockers into).

I just can't see buying a brand new Jeep and going automatic. I've had off road vehicles both auto and manual, and prefer working the gears. I know it can occasionally make it more difficult to get through some trails. But I'll make the most of it.

Last edited:

bigcale

Caught the Bug
I'm thinking I'll get used to the clutch. I'm going to try another dealer that has the Rubicon with a manual transmission to see how it feels.

Still, I feel like a fraud in some ways because I never built the TJ and really love the rawness and rough edges of it. But down the road, if I have a major lifestyle change and buy a second house upstate, or whatever, I can always go and hunt down another one, or an old CJ.

Thanks for the comment. I thought I was just being overly critical about how the clutch felt.

While I have never owned a TJ, or a manual 4.0, you will get used to the clutch on the 3.6. My first Jeep was a manual CJ7 with the 4.2 with a 4.0 head, the one I had before I bought my 2012 2 door was an auto XJ. Loved the torque of the straight 6's but the top end in the JK is nice. I am still on the 3.73 with 35s and I can get out of most peoples way still.

As to the manual vs auto, I have only ever owned 3 autos in my life. Two of them were Jeeps, 2000 WJ with a v8 and the XJ. Wheeling with an auto is just too easy for me.

Basscat

I'll go larger on the tires and redo gearing with new axles down the road with at least a long arm lift. Going with a new Unlimited Rubicon will give me some options my stock TJ wouldn't have, but put the build off a little with the payments eating up build money. One thing that will be a plus is stuff like larger ProGrip brakes for the Jk, with the bells and whistles of ABS that the TJ wouldn't be able to get. But, I'd be able to jump right in a vehicle with lockers instead of having to shell out $11k in axles (Dana 30s and 35s arent worth putting lockers into).

I just can't see buying a brand new Jeep and going automatic. I've had off road vehicles both auto and manual, and prefer working the gears. I know it can occasionally make it more difficult to get through some trails. But I'll make the most of it.

Well, a brand new JKUR with a manual transmission will be pretty darn capable right off the lot.

RUBINOT

Caught the Bug
All my Jeeps have been manuals until the last two. Now, I'm not sure I'd ever go back to manual, especially for off roading.

I'm still learnng the ins and outs of using a automatic off road, lol

Sent from my SM-G920P using WAYALIFE mobile app

wanderer

recon

'd be looking at the 2017 rubicon recon, I have heard a rumor that these are new 2018 axles which are beefier than those on the regular 2017 rubicon. I'd go auto and 410s then you could throw some 315 on there with minimal lift. and it would be way nicer than a tj but go unlimited, you' like the space. imho

bouche03

Gearing would play a roll in the engine and response you felt with it's torque, no? And the hill assist or whatever it is called, can be turned off. It is one of the first things I did with my manual Rubicon. I would get the 4.10 gears if I was you

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
'd be looking at the 2017 rubicon recon, I have heard a rumor that these are new 2018 axles which are beefier than those on the regular 2017 rubicon. I'd go auto and 410s then you could throw some 315 on there with minimal lift. and it would be way nicer than a tj but go unlimited, you' like the space. imho

Since I'm looking at going with tires much larger than what would be reliable for even a built D44 axle, I wouldn't spend the extra cash for a Recon. Plus, air lockers are a better choice.

Last edited:

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
I drove a JKUR manual on Saturday with 4:10 axles and the ride felt totally different than the Sport. I still don't like how the clutch feels flighty, but the Rubicon is a sweet ride, otherwise. The whole thing about not being able to shift a manual during deeper water crossings concerns me. Now I'm thinking that with the way I've spent time in deep mud, I may want to get an automatic. Or just keep the TJ and build the hell out of it.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
I drove a JKUR manual on Saturday with 4:10 axles and the ride felt totally different than the Sport. I still don't like how the clutch feels flighty, but the Rubicon is a sweet ride, otherwise. The whole thing about not being able to shift a manual during deeper water crossings concerns me. Now I'm thinking that with the way I've spent time in deep mud, I may want to get an automatic. Or just keep the TJ and build the hell out of it.
I did not know you can't shift during water crossings; is this common knowledge?

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom