So, I test drove a JKU today...

Stotch

Caught the Bug
The whole thing about not being able to shift a manual during deeper water crossings concerns me.

News to me, though I don't think I've tried to speed up that much through water crossings either....

I did not know you can't shift during water crossings; is this common knowledge?

All of my Wranglers have been manuals and this is the first I'm hearing.

I didn't know it either. I've been axle deep in mud and water and never did damage to other manual transmissions. But, perhaps I was lucky.

X2 Maybe we've all been getting lucky :idontknow:

Stotch

Caught the Bug
News to me, though I don't think I've tried to speed up that much through water crossings either....

All of my Wranglers have been manuals and this is the first I'm hearing.

X2 Maybe we've all been getting lucky :idontknow:

Been reading a little and it looks like it's only an issue if the breather tube is underwater when you depress the clutch. Then you risk sucking water into the transmission. This would have to be a REALLY deep crossing. The crossings I have done I don't usually take water into the tub (only once ;)) and I keep a steady pace and don't really need to shift.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
When was the hill start assist introduced into the manuals? I have an 08 and (to my knowledge) it doesn't have it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Introduced in 2009, ya just missed it.

Edit: Just saw I was beaten to it... a lot... a while ago lol! I didn't realize this thread was that old.

Last edited:

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Been reading a little and it looks like it's only an issue if the breather tube is underwater when you depress the clutch. Then you risk sucking water into the transmission. This would have to be a REALLY deep crossing. The crossings I have done I don't usually take water into the tub (only once ;)) and I keep a steady pace and don't really need to shift.

Not the breather but rather any open path into the bellhousing. Really 99% of the time you don't need to shift so it's not a problem but if you get stuck and have to try and rock it then you could have a problem. The water/mud gets between the clutch plate and the flywheel and causes slipping

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Ok, that is good to know.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
Not the breather but rather any open path into the bellhousing. Really 99% of the time you don't need to shift so it's not a problem but if you get stuck and have to try and rock it then you could have a problem. The water/mud gets between the clutch plate and the flywheel and causes slipping

I read where one can start the jeep in 4Low and move forward without having to use the clutch. But does that work in reverse, too? I'm going to get a manual transmission anyhow, but I'll have to remember to not depress the clutch if I'm in deep water or mud, I guess.

And how would one clean out the water, mud or debris from between the clutch and the flywheel if it were to get in?

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
Since I'm looking at going with tires much larger than what would be reliable for even a built D44 axle, I wouldn't spend the extra cash for a Recon. Plus, air lockers are a better choice.

I'm backing away from this statement, somewhat. For just a little more than a Rubicon with all of the goodies I want in options, I could get a Recon that is ready for 35" tires and the winch ready front bumper and the stronger front axle. I could beat the snot out of the front axle and still upgrade once it breaks.

One thing that keeps happening is that the costs keep going up on the Jeep. My wife said "I thought we were looking at just over $40,000", now that the cost of a Recon is just under $48k for all the goodies I want. LOL

I'm so damn busy with work that I keep on putting off the trip to the dealership. Plus Pennsylvania still has some stupid blue laws that prevent sales of cars on Sunday's. Oldsters and their stupid laws! ��

Last edited:

Zstairlessone

I never had an issue with my 07 JK Sahara. 3.21 gears and every time I let out the clutch without touching the gas, no problems. The same with my 15 JKUR. The clutch is way softer than the 07, but no problems at all with feeling like it will stall before it moves. Sent from my Nexus 10 using WAYALIFE mobile app

They must have changed something because my '10 is has a super (way too) easy clutch and the '08 has a very stiff clutch. Both are like that from new, they don't feel like they are even close to the same vehicle.

desertrunner

just my 2 cents on it out of the 5 vehicles i have owned 4 of them have been manuals, only one that wasnt was my full size silverado, and both my JKs have been manuals. The 2 vehicles i currently drive is my DD manual Tacoma and my 12 JK 2dr 6 speed. the clutches in both my jeeps have always been light and seem springy (best way i describe it) especially compared to my tacoma which has more of a hydraulic torquey feel. I guess im one of those rare millennials that can drive a manual and while searching for my Tacoma and JK it took me over 4 months each because i specifically wanted the manual, i even turned down a price match with over $2500 options extra on a tacoma because it was an auto and the guy at the dealer thought i was crazy but hey i like what i like and didnt want to settle. So if you want the manual Go for it! :rock:

since you are looking at a rubicon with the 4-1 tcase, i also had an 08 Rubi and i swapped in a rubi tcase into my 12 sport, in 1st gear and 4lo even though the clutch is springy it still has plenty on the low end torque. Biggest thing i have going against me right now is the 3.21 gears in my sport so if you re gear to match your tire size better or go with the 4.10 option in the rubicon i really dont think you are going to be disappointed with the low end in 1st lo even though the clutch doesnt feel as good as the TJ.

as far as the hill start assist goes since i have had the 08 without it and the 12 with it, personally i could take it or leave it. Its more of a novelty and is kinda nice to have for every day driving on the road, i leave mine turned on and really i didnt notice it much on the trails just because im used to not wheeling with it im fast on the clutch and in 4lo with the 4-1 the torque kicks in so fast that maybe it helps but i really couldnt tell ya. I havent gotten into the big rocks yet with my 12 like i did with the 08 so maybe at some point it will help out but you can also just use the E brake trick.

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
just my 2 cents on it out of the 5 vehicles i have owned 4 of them have been manuals, only one that wasnt was my full size silverado, and both my JKs have been manuals. The 2 vehicles i currently drive is my DD manual Tacoma and my 12 JK 2dr 6 speed. the clutches in both my jeeps have always been light and seem springy (best way i describe it) especially compared to my tacoma which has more of a hydraulic torquey feel. I guess im one of those rare millennials that can drive a manual and while searching for my Tacoma and JK it took me over 4 months each because i specifically wanted the manual, i even turned down a price match with over $2500 options extra on a tacoma because it was an auto and the guy at the dealer thought i was crazy but hey i like what i like and didnt want to settle. So if you want the manual Go for it! :rock:

since you are looking at a rubicon with the 4-1 tcase, i also had an 08 Rubi and i swapped in a rubi tcase into my 12 sport, in 1st gear and 4lo even though the clutch is springy it still has plenty on the low end torque. Biggest thing i have going against me right now is the 3.21 gears in my sport so if you re gear to match your tire size better or go with the 4.10 option in the rubicon i really dont think you are going to be disappointed with the low end in 1st lo even though the clutch doesnt feel as good as the TJ.

as far as the hill start assist goes since i have had the 08 without it and the 12 with it, personally i could take it or leave it. Its more of a novelty and is kinda nice to have for every day driving on the road, i leave mine turned on and really i didnt notice it much on the trails just because im used to not wheeling with it im fast on the clutch and in 4lo with the 4-1 the torque kicks in so fast that maybe it helps but i really couldnt tell ya. I havent gotten into the big rocks yet with my 12 like i did with the 08 so maybe at some point it will help out but you can also just use the E brake trick.
I'm quick with a clutch, too. I can see where it could help if you're rock crawling, but I'm not afraid to take a second try at moving forward.

rockwell

In 4-low you can start the engine without pushing in the clutch. So if you are in a hairy situation just turn the key and feather in the accelerator and off you go.

bear996

I went with the Hard Rock edition because it's 35 capable from the floor, even though I'm still rolling the 33's the dealer had on them. That Recon model looks sweet. We also chose the manual, personal preference, always enjoyed driving manuals off road and even in traffic never had an issue.

Last edited:

Draconianwinter

Personally the fact the kids would not even ask to drive it is enough to go with the manual. As for the hill assist... lots of people hate it, personally I don't know why, I love it, and it's probably one of the nicest things to come out in the manual jeep in a very long time. It helps to save the clutch when crawling. That light feeling clutch is also nice in traffic. Owned one automatic in my life, even the truck I have is a manual, and personally I wish my truck had the same type of feel in the clutch my jeep has. That's my opinion take it for what is worth.

sent from your basement

Last edited:

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
I went with the Hard Rock edition because it's 35 capable from the floor, even though I'm still rolling the 33's the dealer had on them. That Recon model looks sweet. We also chose the manual, personal preference, always enjoyed driving manuals off road and even in traffic never had an issue.
The decision making on all of this is excruciating, sometimes. But realistically, I have to be honest with myself and just go with the Recon because it offers a strengthened D44, which makes me a little more off-road capable than the Rubicon or Hard Rock without doing anything. My inner kid tells me I have the time to work on a Jeep that my rational self knows is bullshit.

Still, it's not a bad place to be in life.

Top Bottom