"Stumps" - The JK

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
One of the cool kids now!

1462901379121.jpg

1462901393383.jpg

A 2015 premium soft top I found on CL.

I hope it is as quiet as the internet says. That means I'll be able to sell the hardtop and either put the money towards the Jeep payment or get some parts. :yup:

scull20

View attachment 202767

View attachment 202768

I hope it is as quiet as the internet says. That means I'll be able to sell the hardtop and either put the money towards the Jeep payment or get some parts. :yup:

Looks great! I got a premium soft top after the fact too.

I'd say you can hear higher frequency sounds (birds chirping, people talking, etc.) a bit more through the premium top...lower frequency noises are about the same as with the hard top. Otherwise it's pretty quiet...don't forget to put a jumper in the plug for the hard top in the back so your radio volume doesn't drop down.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Turns out that the Jeep doesn't like the top and has thrown a P0520 check engine code. Doing some checking around online it looks like it is a fairly common problem and I'll be without the Jeep for a week or so.

Looks great! I got a premium soft top after the fact too.

I'd say you can hear higher frequency sounds (birds chirping, people talking, etc.) a bit more through the premium top...lower frequency noises are about the same as with the hard top. Otherwise it's pretty quiet...don't forget to put a jumper in the plug for the hard top in the back so your radio volume doesn't drop down.

Thanks you for the compliment and info. I had forgotten about the jumper problem so I'll get that addressed.

WJCO

Meme King
Turns out that the Jeep doesn't like the top and has thrown a P0520 check engine code. Doing some checking around online it looks like it is a fairly common problem and I'll be without the Jeep for a week or so.

Soft tops and oil pressure senders are in direct relation to each other. They should have told you that when they sold you the top.

TennJK

View attachment 202767

View attachment 202768

I was thinking the same thing about selling my hard top. But i swapped it out for the trektop. Rig is looking great. The money always seems to go to parts somehow. Maybe someone will trade some slabs for the top lol

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Soft tops and oil pressure senders are in direct relation to each other. They should have told you that when they sold you the top.

Could have sworn he said that I'd be fine. What a dick! :crazy eyes: :cheesy:

I was thinking the same thing about selling my hard top. But i swapped it out for the trektop. Rig is looking great. The money always seems to go to parts somehow. Maybe someone will trade some slabs for the top lol

Lol wouldn't that be nice. Sadly it's more likely that someone in my area will want to trade me some 20" rock stars instead of slabs. :(

Napalm

Thanks you for the compliment and info. I had forgotten about the jumper problem so I'll get that addressed.

What exactly is the Jumper problem? I've never heard of this!

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
What exactly is the Jumper problem? I've never heard of this!

The radio is more quiet when you disconnect the plug from the rear windshield wiper on a hard top. Not sure why Jeep designed it that way but by adding the jumper it returns to a normal level. There was a thread on it about a year ago and I'll have to find it again.

Napalm

The radio is more quiet when you disconnect the plug from the rear windshield wiper on a hard top. Not sure why Jeep designed it that way but by adding the jumper it returns to a normal level. There was a thread on it about a year ago and I'll have to find it again.

This may be a stupid question, but what exactly is a "jumper"?

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug

It's a DIY hack to close the loop in the wiring harness for the hard top that's normally closed when you have the harness plugged in (for the rear wiper and defroster). When the loop is "open", it sees your top being off and thus lowers the volume settings so as to annoy you rather than your neighbors.

It'll make sense when Ty posts the link, but you essentially take a piece of wire a few inches long. Plug one side into one spot of the harness and the other side into another spot of the harness. This tricks your Jeep to thinking the top is on and thus won't interfere with your volume settings.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

Jk_Dave already explained most of it but here is the thread I was referring to.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=26655

It's a DIY hack to close the loop in the wiring harness for the hard top that's normally closed when you have the harness plugged in (for the rear wiper and defroster). When the loop is "open", it sees your top being off and thus lowers the volume settings so as to annoy you rather than your neighbors.

It'll make sense when Ty posts the link, but you essentially take a piece of wire a few inches long. Plug one side into one spot of the harness and the other side into another spot of the harness. This tricks your Jeep to thinking the top is on and thus won't interfere with your volume settings.

Napalm

Jk_Dave already explained most of it but here is the thread I was referring to.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=26655

Thanks guys! I'll look into this today!!

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
My first electrical gremlin reared it's ugly head this morning on the way to work. My ARB compressor randomly starts when I hit any bumps in the road regardless of what position the power switch is in. Also there and no lights on the switch. My first guess is the relay but I'll have to wait until I get home to T/S. For now I disconnected it from the battery.

WJCO

Meme King
My first electrical gremlin reared it's ugly head this morning on the way to work. My ARB compressor randomly starts when I hit any bumps in the road regardless of what position the power switch is in. Also there and no lights on the switch. My first guess is the relay but I'll have to wait until I get home to T/S. For now I disconnected it from the battery.

Sounds like a short to power. Check all your obvious visual wiring for rubbing together, etc.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Sounds like a short to power. Check all your obvious visual wiring for rubbing together, etc.

Just finished look it and it appears to be the switch. Tapping on just the switch with my finger recreated the problem when the switch was in the off position.

To be sure I did check all the wires and they all appear to be intact.

Just finished look it and it appears to be the switch. Tapping on just the switch with my finger recreated the problem when the switch was in the off position.

To be sure I did check all the wires and they all appear to be intact.
Hopefully youve found it and its an easy fix buddy

Top Bottom