Texas Barnwell Run & Campout(May 21st-22nd)

Napalm

Texas Barnwell Run & Campout(May 21st-22nd)

Hello all!

After the sucess of the Texas Hidden Falls run last year, it's about time for another large Texas group run. I am announcing this run two months in advance so that everyone has time to plan accordingly and make it out. This run will be open to all and any Wayalife members, but will also include a newbie run.

This will be a great time to get as many Texas/Oklahoma, Louisiana members together to meet up, hang out, check out each others rigs, and run some great trails in the beautiful East Texas forests. This run will also be a camp out run, some of us will be camping and would love to have you join us. :) There are also several hotels in the area for those of you that want to come but choose to stay in a hotel. They are all about 5-10 minutes from the park.

We will have three different groups in this event. Please read below for a description of the groups and sign up for the one you feel most comfortable with and that you meet the minimum requirements for. If you have any questions about the groups, feel free to message me.

This run will be at Barnwell Mountain OHV area, it is about 5 miles northwest of Gilmer TX and about 2 hours east of Dallas. Also it's only a few hours from some of you guys in Oklahoma an Louisiana as well. This park contains over 1,850 acres of trails, sight seeing, and campsites. None of us will be here to prove anything, just to have fun. No one should be ashamed to take a bypass or say no to an obstacle, and we are all here to help each other have fun and get home safe.

Barnwell Mountain Recreation Area
6284 N. SH 155
Gilmer, TX 75645

Lodging for this area:

Gilmer Inn
1018 US HWY 271
Gilmer, TX, 75644

Executive Inn and Suites
920 US HWY 271
Gilmer, TX, 75644

Lodging in Longview(20-30mins away):

North Longview Lodging
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Longview - North
300 Tuttle Cir, Longview, TX 75605
(903) 663-6464

La Quinta Inn & Suites Longview North
908 E Hawkins Pkwy, Longview, TX 75605
(903) 663-6611
Pet Friendly

Comfort Suites
3307 N Fourth St, Longview, TX 75605
(903) 663-4991

Hampton Inn & Suites Longview North
3044 North Eastman Road, Longview, TX 75605
(903) 663-8670

Fairfield Inn & Suites Longview
3305 N Fourth St, Longview, TX 75605
(903) 663-1995

Candlewood Suites Longview
2904 Tuttle Blvd, Longview, TX 75605
(903) 663-9751
Pet Friendly

If you are interested in staying in Tyler which is about 45 minutes away, let me know.

ITINERARY

Both Newbie/Beginner group members and medium/hard group members will be meeting at the Pavilion towards the entrance of the park. We will then split into our respective groups.

The Drivers meeting for the newbie run will begin at 0830 and i ask for everyone to be there. We will be headed for the first trail by 9am. We will be starting off with the first trail getting everyone's feet(or tires) wet and then we will be continuing throughout the day testing and learning our rigs and having a great time.

The drivers meeting will fill everyone in on what to expect for the actual "newbie run" and will allow time for Kyle, Nick, and myself to help air down and disconnect sway bars.

Wayalife Pot Luck Dinner/Party to begin between 5-6PM

This will be a pot luck dinner Saturday night for everyone to break bread and fellowship. This will be at bunkhouses two and three. I ask that everyone please try to bring some type of food or dish to share so that there will be plenty of food for everyone. We are estimating about 40 people. This will be a good way for everyone to get to know each other and for us to party and have a great time! There will be a grill at bunkhouse two if anyone has anything they'd like to bring to grill. Also, we will have at least one fire started. I will be starting a list here so that everyone can see what everyone is bringing. Bring what you want to drink, especially beverages of the adult type. Sharing is not just allowed, it's encouraged. :)

Pot Luck Food List(please let me know what you'd like to add to this list)

1)Packers937 - Spinach Dip and chips
2)Napalm - Hot dogs and buns
3) Carlos - burgers and buns
4) Kyle- homemade salsa
5) Don - burgers, bacon wrapped things
6) Kris - 5 bags of chips, cookies, plates and napkins for 40.
7) Bobby - Chips, potato salad, possible macaroni salad
8) Mark - cupcakes
9) Dave - charcoal and lighter fluid

We will do our best to shoot for between 5PM and 6PM for the party, but the important thing is having fun on the trails and making sure everyone gets off the trail safe, so we will do our best to start it at this time.

Sunday seems like it's going to be more of a free day, I encourage everyone to stay and run trails Sunday as well. Barnwell is a beautiful place to explore and there is plenty of opportunity to do so on easy, medium, and difficult trails. I know i'll be sending out some texts Sunday morning trying to find some peeps to join me on some more trails!
Keep in mind that we are representing Wayalife and will do so in a respectful manner

REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL GROUPS(Each group has specific requirements)
- Must be a registered member of Wayalife
- You must have a valid Texas OHV sticker to be able to enter the park. These Stickers can be purchased in multiple areas and BMRA has a small supply of them at there front office for $17. You WILL NOT be able to enter the park and run these trails without it.
- A good attitude and willingness to learn and be patient with others

Helpers/Trail Leaders TRAIL LEADERS NEEDED FOR ALL GROUPS
1)Napalm
2)Texas Nick
3)Dwiggles
4)Daverawr
5)Kyle7R
6)

Newbie/Beginner/Easy
Requirements:Front and rear tow points, full size spare
The Newbie/beginner group will be great for anyone who's new or close to new to offroading or driving a stock JK wrangler. We will be doing level 1 and 2 trails, and a level 3 at the end of the day if time permitting. :) This a great group to learn and get more comfortable with smaller obstacles. It's also a great opportunity for scenic areas and photos!

1)Napalm(Group leader/Tail Gunner/Photographer)

2)Texas Nick (Group Leader/Tail gunner)

3)Kyle7R (Group leader/tail gunner)

4)Bunz-o-fun

5)Lukasd

6)Packers937

7) cjmenma

8)

9)

10)

Medium/IntermediateNeeding group leaders
Requirements: 33inch tires, front and rear tow points, working CB radio, rocker protection, recovery gear
The medium/intermediate group will run level 3s and level 4s which are trails that vary from everything to water crossings to loose rock. This group will require some experience but will be a fun and exciting ride. Trail leaders are still needed! No experience leading required :)

1)Dwiggles(Group leader/tail gunner)

2)Daverawr(Group Leader/Tail Gunner)

3)BobbyGTX

4)Jamies72

5) Jeep jk Ruby

6)Stick

7) Honor2afault

8) JJK

9)

10)

Maybe List

1) Angry Aussie

2)

3) Jackal01

4) hobolobo +1

5)

There will be NO cap for this run

Still working on plenty of details, more information to come the closer we get to the actual event day.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to see you soon out on the trail. :) Any questions, comments, concerns, please contact me via this thread or PM.

map_property.jpg headerMain.jpg

*Any information in this post including dates can be subject to change at any time

Last edited:

Napalm

My rig is a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport with Rubicon Rock sliders and a whole batch of recovery gear. This will be her maiden voyage!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1456706731.483886.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1457619312.327896.jpg

Kyle7R

Hello all!

After the success of the Texas Newbie Run last year at Hidden Falls, I am excited to announce the second Texas Wayalife Newbie Run. I'm announcing this two months in advance so everyone has time to plan accordingly. The dates for this run will be May 21st-22nd. I encourage all of our Texas and surrounding area members to sign up and come out for a great time.

Inspired by the Wayalife Newbie Last Chance canyon run that Eddie and Cindy graciously do every year in Southern California, this will be a great time for new Jeep owners, stock Jeeps, or people that have never been off pavement to learn the basics about four wheeling and do some very simple trails. It'll also be a great time to meet up with fellow members and have a great time. We will be running level one and two trails and will finish it off with a three to have a little fun :) we will be camping out that night and heading home the next day.

I do ask that if you are experienced off road, please allow some of the others that don't have that experience sign up so that they have the opportunity to learn. If you have experience and would like to assist and lead part of the group, please contact me. I am looking for more people to assist teaching and helping out. Either way, you are welcome to come :)

This run will be at Barnwell Mountain OHV area, it is about 5 miles northwest of Gilmer TX and about 2 hours west of Dallas. Also it's only a few hours from some of you guys in Oklahoma an Louisiana as well. This park contains over 1,850 acres of trails, sight seeing, and campsites. Like I mentioned before we will be running level one and two trails. I will be in a completely stock Jeep and this will be it's maiden voyage. None of us will be here to prove anything, just to have fun. No one should be ashamed to take a bypass or say no to an obstacle, and we are all here to help each other have fun and get home safe.

Barnwell Mountain Recreation Area
6284 N. SH 155
Gilmer, TX 75645

Lodging for this area:

Gilmer Inn
1018 US HWY 271
Gilmer, TX, 75644

Executive Inn and Suites
920 US HWY 271
Gilmer, TX, 75644

REQUIREMENTS
- Must be a registered member of Wayalife
- You must have a valid Texas OHV sticker to be able to enter the park. These Stickers can be purchased in multiple areas and BMRA has a small supply of them at there front office for $17. You WILL NOT be able to enter the park and run these trails without it.
- A good attitude and willingness to learn and be patient with others

RECOMMENDATIONS
- CB Radio (this will make the trip a lot more fun)
- Rocker protection
- spare tire (you never know)

ITINERARY

We have two options to meet up with the group
1)I will be at the Brookshire's parking lot in Gilmer between 7-7:30am. You are welcome to meet me here and convoy to the park entry with us.
2) Meet us in the park entry at 8am.

WE HAVE A MANDATORY DRIVERS MEETING AT 8:15AM This meeting we will discuss the trails and what is to be expected, as well as talk about spotting and getting our Jeeps ready for the day.

After the drivers meeting we will be spending the day running CM Drive, Omega, Linda's gail, Green Lane, We show, or Angry Jeep. We will run several of these trails and (we will be having lunch on the trail, so pack a lunch or pick up Subway)

We will finish up and find a place to camp, Camping and park usage will be about $40 dollars. We will have dinner, drinks, and celebrate a nice day on the trail. :) Make sure you bring all the supplies you need to get through one night of camping.

Also, please keep in mind that we are representing Wayalife and will do so in a respectful manner

Sunday is a tentative trail day for those of you coming from further out, we will keep it open for the time being. Barnwell has plenty of great trails to keep us busy. :) There is also the option of a breakfast that morning in Gilmer before everyone heads out.

Also, for anyone who is interested and if the weather is good, I am opening up my home/garage for top and door storage. I live about 45 minutes from the park, and want to offer those coming from a distance to have an option for top/door storage. I please ask that you arrive at my house at or before 6AM So that we can get you stripped down and head out in time. If you are interested in doing this, please let me know and i'll get you my address by PM.

There will be a cap on this run depending on the number of helpers we have, so sign up quick!

Helpers/Trail Leaders
1)Napalm
2)
3)
4)

Attending
1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

Maybe List

1)Stick

2)

To sign up, post up on this thread with a picture of your rig. I don't mean to be difficult, I only ask that you do this so that we know what to look for on the day of the event.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to see you soon out on the trail. :) Any questions, comments, concerns, please contact me via this thread or PM.

View attachment 193608 View attachment 193607

*Any information in this post can be subject to change at any time

I'm no navigator, but google maps shows Barnwell to be East of Dallas. :bleh:

I should know by early next week if I can make this run, I absolutely want to come. If I'm able to make it, it might be time for me to invest in a CB, at least a decent handheld one

Just took a look at their website, and their 3 cabins are all booked for that weekend, just FYI for anybody who might be interested.

Napalm

I'm no navigator, but google maps shows Barnwell to be East of Dallas. :bleh:

I should know by early next week if I can make this run, I absolutely want to come. If I'm able to make it, it might be time for me to invest in a CB, at least a decent handheld one

Just took a look at their website, and their 3 cabins are all booked for that weekend, just FYI for anybody who might be interested.

Didn't you know that west was the new east? LoL. I'll get that changed. Thanks for pointing it out :)

And I'd definitely invest in one. It'll make the trip much more enjoyable. They have quite a few really nice tent camping areas luckily.

tdougherty81

Not that experienced, only been to Hidden Falls once but would like to go. Just need to regear my rear and I will be set.

Attachments

• 1458337028020.jpg
    1458337028020.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 308

Napalm

Texas Newbie Run & Camp out (Barnwell MTN OHV Area May 21st-22nd)

Not that experienced, only been to Hidden Falls once but would like to go. Just need to regear my rear and I will be set.

I'll put you down, look forward to wheeling with you. :)

By the way, the Jeep is looking great :)
Maybe for us: 2 humans and 1 dog.

Will put you guys on the maybe list. If you need anything, let me know!

Angry Aussie

It's great your putting together another run for everyone. Props and well done. But when are we gonna do a non newbie run? Maybe after this one we can do another run that isn't a newbie run?

Napalm

Texas Newbie Run & Camp out (Barnwell MTN OHV Area May 21st-22nd)

It's great your putting together another run for everyone. Props and well done. But when are we gonna do a non newbie run? Maybe after this one we can do another run that isn't a newbie run?

My new rig can't handle much more than the ones and twos, LoL. ;)

Granite Head mentioned something about doing a summer Hidden Falls run! I'd be down for that!

Angry Aussie

My new rig can't handle much more than the ones and twos, LoL. ;)

Granite Head mentioned something about doing a summer Hidden Falls run! I'd be down for that!

We could do a combined newbie and experienced run, newbies can go do the easier trials and others can go do the tougher stuff then we can all meet up at camp or parking area and hangout.

Napalm

We could do a combined newbie and experienced run, newbies can go do the easier trials and others can go do the tougher stuff then we can all meet up at camp or parking area and hangout.

Yeah that's true too. I wish I could get my rig built up faster but it just isn't in the cards right now!

thardy

Banned

So far, this has worked out well on the pre-run events at Windrock. You guys need to make it out in August!

Angry Aussie

Hmmm, a group of Texas Wayalifers run to the east this August? Something to think about.

I'd be down for this!! So many golf courses between here and wherever we end up east that I wanna play so I'd be down for a run out east. I'm gonna be racking up the miles on my rig this year. Doing a Colorado trip this summer and if we go east there's lots of places I wanna see.

Exodus 4x4

Yeah man! I know Jegar has already signed up. Would be great to get a few more of you. You all will LOVE Windrock.

I'd be down for this!! So many golf courses between here and wherever we end up east that I wanna play so I'd be down for a run out east. I'm gonna be racking up the miles on my rig this year. Doing a Colorado trip this summer and if we go east there's lots of places I wanna see.

I'll seriously consider this. It all depends on how the new baby situation goes starting in May. Hell, the convoy out there alone would be pretty fun.

Top Bottom