The build/re-build of Gruff

Andy5160

Hooked
DON'T use black oxide coated screws to hold your skins on unless you like this look: :icon_crazy:

View attachment 239115

I took 'em out & re-installed the stainless steel ones that came with them. Lesson learned and I should have known better.
Black oxide does not withstand road salt.

View attachment 239116

On another note, I ordered a Bestop black twill softtop (not the NX version, I like the full top) and a Rock Hard bolt-in cage last week. C'mon Spring!

No shit ! Nice order and PLEASE enjoy it
Also Thanks for the screws advise!

buckweil

Ddays

Hooked
Haha, no but the salt is hard on em. I have them coated with sharkhide but it did let some through this year. I should have recoated before winter...

Sent from my VS985 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Some TLC goin down

Decided to take advantage of the crazy 65 degree weather here today and gave Gruff a good scrubbing. Figured I'd rotate the tires too instead of waiting until it was colder out & making it less likely Id do it before Spring...

0121172007.jpg

0121172009.jpg

Man, the backs of these wheels are really really shitty. Decided to go ahead & polish these up while I had all 5 on the ground. :icon_crazy:

0121172008a.jpg

I put this neoprene cover on my winch around Thanksgiving & haven't taken it off since. If anyone is wondering whether or not that they work, the answer is yes.
The winch and line stayed clean as a whistle with this on. Dry too!

0121172009a.jpg 0121172010a.jpg

Recurve

Decided to take advantage of the crazy 65 degree weather here today and gave Gruff a good scrubbing. Figured I'd rotate the tires too instead of waiting until it was colder out & making it less likely Id do it before Spring...

View attachment 240047

View attachment 240048

Man, the backs of these wheels are really really shitty. Decided to go ahead & polish these up while I had all 5 on the ground. :icon_crazy:

View attachment 240049

I put this neoprene cover on my winch around Thanksgiving & haven't taken it off since. If anyone is wondering whether or not that they work, the answer is yes.
The winch and line stayed clean as a whistle with this on. Dry too!

View attachment 240055 View attachment 240056

Nice !!! Yeah when I get a new line I will get a neoprene cover.

Also I notice you run spacers , how wide are your tires? 13.5?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Recurve

Yep. I didn't like the fact that the Chamber pros weren't hub centric plus with these I have no rubbing anywhere, front or back.

Gotcha , can you get hub centric rings for those wheels?
13.5 looks great on your rig. I think my next set of 37s will be 13.5. Just not sure if I want to go STT pros or Toyo mt

Ddays

Hooked
Gotcha , can you get hub centric rings for those wheels?
13.5 looks great on your rig. I think my next set of 37s will be 13.5. Just not sure if I want to go STT pros or Toyo mt

Yup - Motorsport Tech. Ordered them online & they can in a little over a week. Nice quality. Someone here turned me on to them, can't remember who it was. Cost a little more but the chambers have a weird hub dia. & the Spidertrax didn't have an option for them. Hinrichs has run them on his sports cars too. Good stuff!

I never ran the Toyos but these Coopers are great tires. And I would do the 13.5's. ECn;t go wrong with either one of those tires

Recurve

Yup - Motorsport Tech. Ordered them online & they can in a little over a week. Nice quality. Someone here turned me on to them, can't remember who it was. Cost a little more but the chambers have a weird hub dia. & the Spidertrax didn't have an option for them. Hinrichs has run them on his sports cars too. Good stuff!

I never ran the Toyos but these Coopers are great tires. And I would do the 13.5's. ECn;t go wrong with either one of those tires

Yeah I ran hub centric rings on my s2000.

With my atx slabs I don't think I will rub much with 13.5.

Ddays

Hooked
Ayfkm?!?

So haven't even had the chance to drive my Jeep for the past 3 weeks. Get home tonight, drive it 5 miles to the store & back and this:
:mad:

Leak.jpg

Hey Ryan, did you put all your tools away already?

scull20

You rang!? Hahah.

Radiator: OSC Cooling Products 2957 New Radiator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KRD48W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_FhmsvlRNUUlwk

Xmas Tree Remover: Performance Tool W86556 Clip Removal Plier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003WZRLZ2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_Ex9mYeom5LsfA

Get the coolant from the dealer, 2 gallons to be safe. Give them the last 8 of your vin and they'll give you the proper stuff, $22ish per gallon by me, premixed.

How to: https://youtu.be/TNHugT2DtGU
There's no bottom shroud to remove on the 3.6, also the intake plumbing is different, but still a matter of 2 clamps and 2 bolts to remove. Some white lithium grease helps tremendously in getting the airbox back into the rubber grommets. Drain as much as you can from the bottom rad drain, there will still be about half a gallon in there once it stops trickling.

Good luck getting to the bolts to release the A/C condensate lines and coolers. I couldn't get the bottom clip back on, but there's barely any movement in the lines anyway.

P.S. Now would be a good time to do the t-stat housing too if you didn't do it already. I remember yours may have had a small crack back in October?

Last edited:

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
You rang!? Hahah.

Radiator: OSC Cooling Products 2957 New Radiator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KRD48W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_FhmsvlRNUUlwk

Xmas Tree Remover: Performance Tool W86556 Clip Removal Plier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003WZRLZ2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_Ex9mYeom5LsfA

Get the coolant from the dealer, 2 gallons to be safe. Give them the last 8 of your vin and they'll give you the proper stuff, $22ish per gallon by me, premixed.

How to: https://youtu.be/TNHugT2DtGU

Good luck getting to the bolts to release the A/C condensate lines and coolers. I couldn't get the bottom clip back on, but there's barely any movement in the lines anyway.

My man! Lol thats about as thorough as it gets!

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Man, I feel for you. I just replaced mine. I'm too far to help but I can give you a link on how to replace if need be. Pretty easy.

Got my radiator from Quadretec. Tool from Auto Zone...under $9. Mopar fluid at Auto Zone. Motorcity Mechanic vid.

Last edited:
Top Bottom