The build/re-build of Gruff

Ddays

Hooked
Plan B

So at 2:00 Thursday afternoon I'm looking for LCA's online that I can still get shipped out the same day so I could have on Friday to do the install this weekend. Looked at EVO, Synergy, Clayton, Currie & a RK end joint so that maybe I could repair what I had. The only thing I could get out that day was a set of Currie LCA's and a RK joint. Both came in Friday. When I opened up the Currie arms & compared them to the RK's I had, well, you tell me what you'd put on your Jeep based on these pics:

Arms 6.jpg

Arms 7.jpg

Just for the hell of it I pulled out my RK arms and lined my RK's, RE's & new Curries up end to end.

Arms 5.jpg

Arms 4.jpg

These arms are impressive. I priced up a replacement set after I got these and they're not cheap. I'm not going to replace any more now but if any of my RK arms wear out I'm replacing them with arms from a manufacturer that uses Johnny Joints. There'e no comparison IMHO.

scull20

You may have to call them directly to get just the arms, but evo's arms use johnny joints. The enforcer kit comes with new lower arms/johnny joints. I remember them being quite stout when installing them

WJCO

Meme King
I assume those are the 2.5 inch joints? That's what I have on all 4 lowers. They're pretty damn big.

WJCO

Meme King
Can someone give me an education on the types of joints? And do these only apply to adjustable arms?

Here's a Johnny Joint. They either come as a fixed Weld on style like an upper axle mount or the type with the threaded section for use with an adjustable arm. Basically, the order of parts that goes in the metal housing is washer, bushing, ball assembly, bushing, washer, snapring. You can see that the housing has a snap ring groove and a hole for a grease zerk. The Johnny joint is a very tight joint, but the ball assembly allows a lot of flex and less binding as the axle moves. They bind less than a polyurethane bushing are are affordable to rebuild.

IMG_20170106_153637_268.jpg

IMG_20170106_153701_614.jpg

IMG_20170106_153723_515.jpg

IMG_20170106_153738_055.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
You may have to call them directly to get just the arms, but evo's arms use johnny joints. The enforcer kit comes with new lower arms/johnny joints. I remember them being quite stout when installing them

I could have had them shipped but then I would have had to get them Next Day Air'd so I would have gotten them on Friday. This happened Thursday at 2:00 :crazyeyes:

Those things are frickin huge!

Wow, that side by side comparison is pretty eye opening. I can't wait to get johnny joints under all my arms.

I assume those are the 2.5 inch joints? That's what I have on all 4 lowers. They're pretty damn big.

Man what a difference, I'm really glad I switched to evo/ Currie arms,a lot more beef, sucks yours got torched but hopefully a blessing in disguise

Its really eye-opening when you see them side by side. So when people ask whats the best lift this is one of the reasons the guys that use Johnny Joints get mentioned so often. And I didnt realize that these joints are the same size used on the EVO carrier. Now I understand what Eddie was talking about when he basically said you're carrying around 4 spare control arm ends....

Ddays

Hooked
Here's a Johnny Joint. They either come as a fixed Weld on style like an upper axle mount or the type with the threaded section for use with an adjustable arm. Basically, the order of parts that goes in the metal housing is washer, bushing, ball assembly, bushing, washer, snapring. You can see that the housing has a snap ring groove and a hole for a grease zerk. The Johnny joint is a very tight joint, but the ball assembly allows a lot of flex and less binding as the axle moves. They bind less than a polyurethane bushing are are affordable to rebuild.

Cool exploded view - thanks for posting that. I'd take apart one of the RK ends but they're basically the same style as the JJ ends but half the size.

It'd be cool to see the different brands all lined up together to compare but that'd be tough to get all of them in the same place. Surprised someone or some shop hasn't done that yet. Be an easy way to upsell a quality lift to a potential customer...

benatc1

Hooked
I could have had them shipped but then I would have had to get them Next Day Air'd so I would have gotten them on Friday. This happened Thursday at 2:00 :crazyeyes:

Its really eye-opening when you see them side by side. So when people ask whats the best lift this is one of the reasons the guys that use Johnny Joints get mentioned so often. And I didnt realize that these joints are the same size used on the EVO carrier. Now I understand what Eddie was talking about when he basically said you're carrying around 4 spare control arm ends....

That is one of the reasons that pushed me over the edge to get the EVO carrier, I was upgrading my arms at the time anyway but it's a nice back up to have on the trail

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So at 2:00 Thursday afternoon I'm looking for LCA's online that I can still get shipped out the same day so I could have on Friday to do the install this weekend. Looked at EVO, Synergy, Clayton, Currie & a RK end joint so that maybe I could repair what I had. The only thing I could get out that day was a set of Currie LCA's and a RK joint. Both came in Friday. When I opened up the Currie arms & compared them to the RK's I had, well, you tell me what you'd put on your Jeep based on these pics:

Pictures are worth a 1000 words and that right there says a lot.

Ddays

Hooked
Got some 2" dia. aluminum bar stock in to make seat risers for my passenger side seat. Wifey is vertically challenged and bitches she can't see out of the front window. Since I installed my RH cage its even worse.
I ordered this so I can cut some 2" or 3" pieces & drill out. More weekend fun in the cold garage.

rods.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Got some 2" dia. aluminum bar stock in to make seat risers for my passenger side seat. Wifey is vertically challenged and bitches she can't see out of the front window. Since I installed my RH cage its even worse.
I ordered this so I can cut some 2" or 3" pieces & drill out. More weekend fun in the cold garage.

View attachment 247614

Based on the pic in the background, it looks like you're stalking someone, lol.

Sheaffadelic

Caught the Bug

View attachment 247614

Shoulda just bought her a booster seat or memory foam pillow.... and man i wish my jeep looked like the one on ur screen

sipafz

Caught the Bug

View attachment 247614

For a joke, put them in at that length. That way the windshield won't be an issue. [emoji38]

Top Bottom