The build/re-build of Gruff

scull20

I was going to do the two stage but ended up going with the regular paint. If it was an exterior piece I would have definitely tried that out. Figured with the cage it'll be covered up most of the time. Have you used it before? Whats the process? Just spray normally?

Surface prep is important regardless of single or two-stage. Your best best will be to take a grinder with one of the cupped wire wheels to knock off any surface rust/grit, etc. from manufacturing/shipping. Then get a green scotch-brite pad and some acetone to remove the fine crap leftover from using the wire-wheel. After that hit it you choice and # of coats of primer. Then you can start painting. Being that you have single stage only, you may want to lay down an extra coat or two. The single stages are basecoat only, so if you get a scuff in the finish, its actually in the paint. An extra coat or two will help with durability...and you're like you said, being that it will be in the interior will help too with the abuse on the paint. I sanded in-between coats with 600 grit when I fixed some exterior stuff. 2-3 light coats initially and then 1-2 coats to finish it off should get you a nice product in the end. You wont notice much difference between the single/two-stage paints being that you have pure red. The durability is one difference to note though. If you had a metallic color, then clearcoat gives a lot of the 'pop' to the finish in the end.

EDIT: Forgot you already painted...ignore my ignorance.

Ddays

Hooked
Surface prep is important regardless of single or two-stage. Your best best will be to take a grinder with one of the cupped wire wheels to knock off any surface rust/grit, etc. from manufacturing/shipping. Then get a green scotch-brite pad and some acetone to remove the fine crap leftover from using the wire-wheel. After that hit it you choice and # of coats of primer. Then you can start painting. Being that you have single stage only, you may want to lay down an extra coat or two. The single stages are basecoat only, so if you get a scuff in the finish, its actually in the paint. An extra coat or two will help with durability...and you're like you said, being that it will be in the interior will help too with the abuse on the paint. I sanded in-between coats with 600 grit when I fixed some exterior stuff. 2-3 light coats initially and then 1-2 coats to finish it off should get you a nice product in the end. You wont notice much difference between the single/two-stage paints being that you have pure red. The durability is one difference to note though. If you had a metallic color, then clearcoat gives a lot of the 'pop' to the finish in the end.

EDIT: Forgot you already painted...ignore my ignorance.

Hahaha, no worries. So the two stage goes on in one coat? Does the clearcoat somehow 'rise' to the top layer after application or something?

Ddays

Hooked
Looking good! I use to sell the SEM products years ago when I was in the automotive industry. Good stuff.

Thanks Pete! Yeah, I love that SEM trim paint. Its not a really thick paint but it goes on nice and when you touch it up it blends right in. I just put several coats on the initial application.

scull20

Hahaha, no worries. So the two stage goes on in one coat? Does the clearcoat somehow 'rise' to the top layer after application or something?

WHOOPS!...let me unlodge my head from ass here on this one. I got them mixed up. The SINGLE STAGE has the clear mixed in. TWO-STAGE has BASE ONLY and REQUIRES CLEAR ON TOP.

I believe the single stage is just a harder, more durable paint right out of the can. Where as without the clear, the two-stage you're asking for trouble.

Sorry for the confusion! I'll go back to my hole now.

Ddays

Hooked
WHOOPS!...let me unlodge my head from ass here on this one. I got them mixed up. The SINGLE STAGE has the clear mixed in. TWO-STAGE has BASE ONLY and REQUIRES CLEAR ON TOP.

I believe the single stage is just a harder, more durable paint right out of the can. Where as without the clear, the two-stage you're asking for trouble.

Sorry for the confusion! I'll go back to my hole now.

10-4, now I got it. Kinda what I originally thought but there's so many new products out there you never know....

If I had a metallic paint finish I would have absolutely gone with the two stage. I'm pretty happy with the finish, especially being that it was so cold yesterday & I had to use my torpedo heater to preheat everything & then again after I sprayed to help it dry.

Ddays

Hooked
Cage finished

All done! Second time around is much easier. Mostly because you know how to horse it into place & you've already scratched up your dash :D
Eh, not really a big deal once its in place. It just the initial "holy shit" when you go to put the passenger side in for the first time.

0227172050.jpg

0227172156.jpg

0227172156b.jpg

0227172157a.jpg

Man I am sooooo ready for Winter to be over. I'm gonna hate like hell putting the top back on...:grayno:

0227172205.jpg

catahoula

Caught the Bug
All done! Second time around is much easier. Mostly because you know how to horse it into place & you've already scratched up your dash :D
Eh, not really a big deal once its in place. It just the initial "holy shit" when you go to put the passenger side in for the first time.

View attachment 246146

View attachment 246147

View attachment 246148

View attachment 246149

Man I am sooooo ready for Winter to be over. I'm gonna hate like hell putting the top back on...:grayno:

View attachment 246150

Turned out awesome Jerry! :thumb:

Coop

Caught the Bug
Looks great Jerry! At least this is now behind you! Just need Spring!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Turned out awesome Jerry! :thumb:

Looks great Jerry! At least this is now behind you! Just need Spring!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks Pete - Thanks Gary!

Pretty much the last big thing I really needed to do. HA! Can't believe I actually typed that... But really, other than a soft top the rest is gonna be small tweaks here and there.
Kinda sad. I think the installations are half the fun...

Top Bottom