The build/re-build of Gruff

uberc4

Nice build. Loved the ingenuity with the install of the Sliders and Rear Carrier. Pretty crafty! :thumb:

Ddays

Hooked
Carrier looks great, didnt know you were installing one or I would have given you some advice I learned doing my 2nd one. Wish I would have either waited or made a jig like that to hold it when I was installing mine solo.

Thanks Jim. Yeah, I was going to wait until Spring but the weather was nice enough and I got impatient. If I hadn't come across MTG's build showing that jig I wouldn't have tried this alone I don't think. Even with the jig & straps, this was a major PITA to install. You did two! Damn, I don't want to do another one!

Ddays

Hooked
Nice build. Loved the ingenuity with the install of the Sliders and Rear Carrier. Pretty crafty! :thumb:

Thanks buddy!
As far as the carrier, I stood on the shoulders of a giant! MTG's build thread is where I got the idea of the jig. I don't know how you'd install one of these without some kind of jig like this.
Maybe you could hang it from something, but this thing made it way easier doing it solo. The strap helped hold it tight to the body so I could nudge it a little at a time getting it level.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Thanks Jim. Yeah, I was going to wait until Spring but the weather was nice enough and I got impatient. If I hadn't come across MTG's build showing that jig I wouldn't have tried this alone I don't think. Even with the jig & straps, this was a major PITA to install. You did two! Damn, I don't want to do another one!

I had help on my 2 door, but this one I did solo using an engine hoist which kind of worked. After I got it done and had to really adjust the lower driver side latch mount, I figured out a good trick to making it open and close perfectly lol.

Ddays

Hooked
Well now you gotta fess up and tell me how you did it! I had to quit around 11 that night I was so friggin' frustrated!
It still took me a couple hours fiddling around with it the next day to get it perfect....

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Well now you gotta fess up and tell me how you did it! I had to quit around 11 that night I was so friggin' frustrated!
It still took me a couple hours fiddling around with it the next day to get it perfect....

Dont think its right, but what I found out for me personally, was to get the drivers side upper started which is easy, then get the passenger sides both lined up and mounted. Make it open and close well, then latch the driver side upper, and slide in the lower mount into place then mark it. I had a problem with both of my installs where after it was drilled and all, the lower drivers side mount was a little high or low making it very hard to open and close.

While my carrier is still a little bit of a pain to get the pins in and open, I would rather have it be very tight which is fine with me. Maybe the next jeep I will get it perfect :rolleyes2:

Ddays

Hooked
Dont think its right, but what I found out for me personally, was to get the drivers side upper started which is easy, then get the passenger sides both lined up and mounted. Make it open and close well, then latch the driver side upper, and slide in the lower mount into place then mark it. I had a problem with both of my installs where after it was drilled and all, the lower drivers side mount was a little high or low making it very hard to open and close.

While my carrier is still a little bit of a pain to get the pins in and open, I would rather have it be very tight which is fine with me. Maybe the next jeep I will get it perfect :rolleyes2:

:doh:
That makes perfect sense - wish I would have thought of that!

Ddays

Hooked
Been following along I like the new carrier bud looks really good in red

Thanks Buddy! I got the idea from Grubbicon. Noticed his was red on his avatar. I like the black ones, I just wanted something different I guess. The red really stands out. Bet it would do the same in all the other colors too.

Yvan06

Really really really nice Jeep you have there Sir ! :2thumbsup: I was a little afraid when I arrived at the accident part, but I'm glad that everything went good for you !

Ddays

Hooked
Really really really nice Jeep you have there Sir ! :2thumbsup: I was a little afraid when I arrived at the accident part, but I'm glad that everything went good for you !

Thanks buddy! Believe it or not, but I still have a few nagging issues that I am dealing with since the accident. 4WD low wont engage now so I may have some transfer case issues. Also, I found a busted rear tone ring on the REAR axle. Strange because the accident occurred on the right front corner. Going back to the shop once again.

This is very annoying and I haven't been able to wheel this thing since September.

Just read the whole thread. Awesome build and nice progress pics. I tend to get to preoccupied and forget to take any lol.

JeepJeep75

Your rebuild of Gruff is top-notch. I'm not really to keen on the skins under the doors because of the whole nutsert part. That tool you have for them seems pretty stout. I want to put the EVO sliders on my rig too. One thing that's been holding me up is the unfinished look when the Rubi sliders are removed. I never thought about painting below the skins to hide the ragged looking sheet metal. With your sliders installed it looks really nice and "finished".

Ddays

Hooked
Just read the whole thread. Awesome build and nice progress pics. I tend to get to preoccupied and forget to take any lol.

Thanks bud, and I know what you mean. The first time around I didn't take any! There are several things I wish I should have taken photos of this time but got caught up in the what I was doing. Especially the tire carrier. I can't tell you how happy I was to get that thing on. Most of the things I've done I have enjoyed the whole process of installing the part. Not this. I was stressing big time on the install. Mostly because It's a pretty complicated piece.
That and the instructions make it plain that this isn't an easy install....

Your rebuild of Gruff is top-notch. I'm not really to keen on the skins under the doors because of the whole nutsert part. That tool you have for them seems pretty stout. I want to put the EVO sliders on my rig too. One thing that's been holding me up is the unfinished look when the Rubi sliders are removed. I never thought about painting below the skins to hide the ragged looking sheet metal. With your sliders installed it looks really nice and "finished".

Thanks buddy! Yeah, I had the skins for a month before I finally put them on. That first hole you drill gives you pause, man. My wife came out after I had them all drilled and said, "are you nuts!?" Can't remember who's build thread I saw that had the pinch seams painted, but yeah, I really like it better painted.

Yvan06

Thanks buddy! Believe it or not, but I still have a few nagging issues that I am dealing with since the accident. 4WD low wont engage now so I may have some transfer case issues. Also, I found a busted rear tone ring on the REAR axle. Strange because the accident occurred on the right front corner. Going back to the shop once again.

This is very annoying and I haven't been able to wheel this thing since September.

That's not a good news... I'm not sure of the translation for tone ring but depending on where it is, maybe it is a human issue. Since your frame has been changed, maybe be the person who did it, missed one thing or two. Like for the 4WD low, something might have been not tighten enough or something else...

I'm usually not bad at mechanic (not a PRO though...) but it's a lot harder in English ! :icon_crazy:

Dude, I sincerely hope that everything will be OK and that you'll be able to wheel that badass car you have there ! :rock:

Cheers,
Yvan

Ddays

Hooked
LOL...no worries! A tone ring is a toothed ring found on each wheel with a sensor reading them. These are read by the vehicles computer and the vehicles anti-lock brakes or stability controls are activated accordingly.

In my case when I am making a left hand turn and accelerate hard, the stability controls activate and cut the throttle off and I have no power. Not too thrilling when you just pulled out and there is traffic coming at you...

This is what the front one looks like

download.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom