The building of knuckles

ttfhell

Bought a new rear axle yesterday. Going to have it regeared and installed on Knuckles along with a new 1350 rear DS from Bayshore (cool little story about them in this month's Crawl magazine) and some Currie rear upper control arms. :rock:

I know, I know...I "need" to get a PR60 with 37s, but I somehow managed to eek out 43,000 miles on the factory rear axle so I'm hoping to get something similar out of this one. That or until I convince myself I need 60s. :yup:

Nothing too exciting…next up is working on the rear cargo deck.

Oh and the windjammer showed up, but it's been too cold to try it out.

You don't "need to get a PR60 with 37's" you need time to wheel more with 37's until you HAVE to get a PR60 lol.
Are you making it to the Hammers or Homers this year?

jeffj

Caught the Bug
What kind of issues did you have with your stock axel? You probably post it but your thread is so long I thought it would be easier to ask.

MTG

Caught the Bug
You don't "need to get a PR60 with 37's" you need time to wheel more with 37's until you HAVE to get a PR60 lol.
Are you making it to the Hammers or Homers this year?

True. I "need" more time off. But then I couldn't afford a PR60.

Most likely the homers. If I go it will be a spur of the moment trip and just head down. Hopefully it's not too cold and I can sleep in the jeep. I'll bring the double bag though just in case. ;)

ttfhell

True. I "need" more time off. But then I couldn't afford a PR60.

Most likely the homers. If I go it will be a spur of the moment trip and just head down. Hopefully it's not too cold and I can sleep in the jeep. I'll bring the double bag though just in case. ;)

Always double bag it in the high desert.

MTG

Caught the Bug
What kind of issues did you have with your stock axel? You probably post it but your thread is so long I thought it would be easier to ask.

I've had a "rubbing" noise going on for a while. Thought it was the parking brake for the longest time. Eddie and I (mostly Eddie) worked on that a while ago, but the noise was still there. We thought it might be a DS bearing going out, so I swapped the DS and it was still there. The rear pinion was leaking so I figured I'd have the shop fix the seal and check/replace the pinion bearing at the same time. Well, they got the jeep on the rack and they discovered the rear axle bearing/races could be spun by hand in the tubes. :eek:

They band aided it back together but, needless to say I needed a new axle housing. Now I was originally planning to buy 60s this year, but had recently decided that I was going to try to make it through the year and buy them next year if I needed them (and by recently I mean 3 days before this happened). I debated back and forth whether to bite the bullet and get PR60s, a PR44 and Trail60 or some other configuration. But in the end I stuck to the decision to not spend the money. So I'll be out less than $2K for the new housing (with 6000 miles on it) regeared to 5:13 and installed. We'll see if it ends up being the right decision or not. :idontknow:

jeffj

Caught the Bug
I've had a "rubbing" noise going on for a while. Thought it was the parking brake for the longest time. Eddie and I (mostly Eddie) worked on that a while ago, but the noise was still there. We thought it might be a DS bearing going out, so I swapped the DS and it was still there. The rear pinion was leaking so I figured I'd have the shop fix the seal and check/replace the pinion bearing at the same time. Well, they got the jeep on the rack and they discovered the rear axle bearing/races could be spun by hand in the tubes. :eek:

They band aided it back together but, needless to say I needed a new axle housing. Now I was originally planning to buy 60s this year, but had recently decided that I was going to try to make it through the year and buy them next year if I needed them (and by recently I mean 3 days before this happened). I debated back and forth whether to bite the bullet and get PR60s, a PR44 and Trail60 or some other configuration. But in the end I stuck to the decision to not spend the money. So I'll be out less than $2K for the new housing (with 6000 miles on it) regeared to 5:13 and installed. We'll see if it ends up being the right decision or not. :idontknow:

I bet it will be the right decision. The rear stock seams to work pretty well with 37's. Mines doing pretty well (nock on wood) I did bend a flang though. I commend you on not just pulling the trigger on a 60.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Can you explain how they found the bearing/races could be spun by hand. I just looked and I have a leak where my drive shaft connects. I have about 45000 on mine and you have thinking. Maybe I need a 60. Lol

MTG

Caught the Bug
I bet it will be the right decision. The rear stock seams to work pretty well with 37's. Mines doing pretty well (nock on wood) I did bend a flang though. I commend you on not just pulling the trigger on a 60.

Thanks. Unfortunately my jeep plans generally conflict with my financial plans. :cheesy:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Can you explain how they found the bearing/races could be spun by hand. I just looked and I have a leak where my drive shaft connects. I have about 45000 on mine and you have thinking. Maybe I need a 60. Lol

You know I wasn't there, but this was the axle shaft bearing races. What you are describing is probably a leaking pinion seal. Mine was doing it too. I'll take a pic in a minute. Mine has 43,000. Check your fluid level. :yup:

Yes, you do "need" a 60. :cheesy:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

You know I wasn't there, but this was the axle shaft bearing races. What you are describing is probably a leaking pinion seal. Mine was doing it too. I'll take a pic in a minute. Mine has 43,000. Check your fluid level. :yup:

Yes, you do "need" a 60. :cheesy:

Ttfhell has a 60 for sale. PR80 or bust.

MTG

Caught the Bug

Pinion leak. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420829690.913856.jpg

JAGS

Hooked
MTG, was just reading through some of the earlier pages and couldn't find it. What was the approx mileage of knuckles when you first installed the lift (Enforcer). You had duratracs before that... and another lift? So a lift and larger tires from day one? Thx.

MTG

Caught the Bug
MTG, was just reading through some of the earlier pages and couldn't find it. What was the approx mileage of knuckles when you first installed the lift (Enforcer). You had duratracs before that... and another lift? So a lift and larger tires from day one? Thx.

I have it all written down but from memory...

~3,000 miles lift (enforcer) and 315s duratracs. ~11,000 miles 37" Nittos.

JAGS

Hooked

Thanks. Yeah, a boat ton of miles and a JKX under it's belt. You've done well with the stock axles! :yup:

Sharkey

Word Ninja

That sounds about right. You hadn't had Knuckles that long and then we decided to make the trek to Moab for EJS 2012. There was a frantic several weeks of you buying stuff and installing it to get ready for Moab. I have to say though, we didn't do too bad for a couple of dumb f----. Honestly, I don't even remember if anyone else really had the enforcer lift at that point. Maybe a few people here and there...but Knuckles was really a test subject to some degree. Moab and JKX (plus the driving to and from) in the same calendar year is a pretty good test!

Top Bottom