The building of knuckles

MTG

Caught the Bug
Anybody have some photoshop skills that can help me out?

I'm trying to decide whether to powdercoat my rock rings black on the slabs. :thinking:

If you can photoshop them on the jeep for me that would be great.

Skid_Kid

Anybody have some photoshop skills that can help me out?

I'm trying to decide whether to powdercoat my rock rings black on the slabs. :thinking:

If you can photoshop them on the jeep for me that would be great.

text me a pic

MTG

Caught the Bug
Just caught up! Nice score on the compressor and accessories!

Did you just use white silicone to seal the skins? It is looking badass!:thumb:

Thanks! Yep, white silicone. I am curious to see how it holds up. :idontknow:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Thanks! Yep, white silicone. I am curious to see how it holds up. :idontknow:

I can tell you right now that it will need to be re-done every so often. Even the 100% silicone you get from Lowes etc will crack and dry up before too long. But it's honestly about the best a guy can do. As it starts to heat up just keep your eye on it.

We have used a ton of silicon on our work trucks and it's just a matter of time.

It looks like you did a good clean job with it. That stuff can be real hard to make look pretty. :yup:

MTG

Caught the Bug
I can tell you right now that it will need to be re-done every so often. Even the 100% silicone you get from Lowes etc will crack and dry up before too long. But it's honestly about the best a guy can do. As it starts to heat up just keep your eye on it.

We have used a ton of silicon on our work trucks and it's just a matter of time.

It looks like you did a good clean job with it. That stuff can be real hard to make look pretty. :yup:

I'm good with caulk. ;)

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. I need to find a better solution, but it'll get me through spring.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I'm good with caulk. ;)

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. I need to find a better solution, but it'll get me through spring.

:cheesy:

Well there's nothing worse than cracked caulk. Maybe you can find some rubberized industrial caulk. :idontknow:

GCM 2

Very nice, the rig is looking like an albino RubiCat. I dig it! By the way, if you decide to go black on the beadlock rings, you might just want to save the money on powder coating. The rings on Slabs seem to stick waaaayyy out there (not a bad thing by any means), they are going to get really scuffed up very quickly. I would just get some Satin Black spray paint (or maybe semi-gloss) and do them yourself, then you could make the decision if you ever want to attempt touching them up after a bit of rock rash. Look at pictures of Moby's or EVO1's, both powder coated, or what's left of the coating. Personally I like the rock rash look :rock:

Attachments

• image-3000643494.jpg
    image-3000643494.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 354

MTG

Caught the Bug
Looks real good Mike. I can tell you are a happy camper with the latest additions.:rock:

Yeah. I'm really happy with where she's at. Get the slabs on, c-pillars and some chromoly axle shafts and I think I'm good for a while...at least with the big stuff.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Very nice, the rig is looking like an albino RubiCat. I dig it! By the way, if you decide to go black on the beadlock rings, you might just want to save the money on powder coating. The rings on Slabs seem to stick waaaayyy out there (not a bad thing by any means), they are going to get really scuffed up very quickly. I would just get some Satin Black spray paint (or maybe semi-gloss) and do them yourself, then you could make the decision if you ever want to attempt touching them up after a bit of rock rash. Look at pictures of Moby's or EVO1's, both powder coated, or what's left of the coating. Personally I like the rock rash look :rock:

I was actually leaning towards the silver just for the ease of maintenance. They'll get trashed out here in the desert especially the runs I have planned in Vegas. I just wanted to see how they looked blacked out (or murdered out depending on your vernacular).

Skid kid was kind enough to do a quick photoshop for me and I'm convinced silver is the way to go. Besides I need a little chrome to help get me home. :cheesy:

BTW have you ever installed these? Any tips?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I was actually leaning towards the silver just for the ease of maintenance. They'll get trashed out here in the desert especially the runs I have planned in Vegas. I just wanted to see how they looked blacked out (or murdered out depending on your vernacular).

Skid kid was kind enough to do a quick photoshop for me and I'm convinced silver is the way to go. Besides I need a little chrome to help get me home. :cheesy:

From what I have heard use the bucket and step on the tire at the same time to push the rubber in far enough.

And don't tighten one bolt down all the way otherwise you won't be able to get the others. Do I like you tighten the lug nuts.

(We just had this conversation on the camping trip last weekend:thumb:)

Prime8

Take your time! Beadlocks initial install takes a while. Use a hand torque wrench and use a pencil to make off the north south east and west bolts that will serve as your 4 pointed "star". Then start tightening down in that star pattern. It will take many passes, an you'll get sore and impatient, but resist the urge to tighten circularly around the ring, even though its easier. It's not hard, just time consuming. You've survived the skins/carrier install, this will be cake.

Prime8

Yeah. I'm really happy with where she's at. Get the slabs on, c-pillars and some chromoly axle shafts and I think I'm good for a while...at least with the big stuff.

So have you been running stock axles (except for reinforcement) until now? Any issues with stock lockers and shafts?

MTG

Caught the Bug
So have you been running stock axles (except for reinforcement) until now? Any issues with stock lockers and shafts?

Hmmmm? How to answer without jinxing myself? :)

Stock axles, shafts and lockers. So far so good. 👍

Prime8

Hmmmm? How to answer without jinxing myself? :)

Stock axles, shafts and lockers. So far so good. 👍

And you run 37" Nittos, right? That gives me hope for my rig and allows me to put my money into other necessary mods. Thanks for the input! Thinking Protek, cb, and rockhard cage are next on the list...

Top Bottom