The Kraken thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who got a Dana 60 ford kingpin?!, That's right this kid did!!!

Attachments

• image-1135993657.jpg
    image-1135993657.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 414
  • image-1472591073.jpg
    image-1472591073.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 424

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Sooooo hows the build coming? you going to give us a write up or anything on how you transformed the 14 bolt to work?

Coming along slowly. I'm not great on write ups. But I will do a segment on here to get the 14 bolt together.

Everything pulled apart and shaved. Just waiting on a couple things then back to work.

Attachments

• image-904717237.jpg
    image-904717237.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 328
  • image-3932206680.jpg
    image-3932206680.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 345

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Coming along slowly. I'm not great on write ups. But I will do a segment on here to get the 14 bolt together.

Everything pulled apart and shaved. Just waiting on a couple things then back to work.

looking good! yea keep us posted with pics and please do the best you can on a write up. im sure there are some people here (or out there peeking in) who would want to build a buggy or something and want to use a 14 bolt or d60 to get the job done :yup:

looking good! yea keep us posted with pics and please do the best you can on a write up. im sure there are some people here (or out there peeking in) who would want to build a buggy or something and want to use a 14 bolt or d60 to get the job done :yup:

The corporate 14 is the easy one to swap into the jk. artecindustries.com makes a kit with all the brackets to wield on. You can get a set of tone rings from VKS fab and press them onto the hubs. There are several companys that sell a rear brake kit to turn the drum into a disc brake with E-brake set up for around 500.00.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
The corporate 14 is the easy one to swap into the jk. artecindustries.com makes a kit with all the brackets to wield on. You can get a set of tone rings from VKS fab and press them onto the hubs. There are several companys that sell a rear brake kit to turn the drum into a disc brake with E-brake set up for around 500.00.

ahh very cool! good to know! well like i said keep us updated on the build on these!

Found time to shave the 14. :)
Now just need to get the brackets and wield it up!!!

Attachments

• image-3658113407.jpg
    image-3658113407.jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 263
  • image-2052960614.jpg
    image-2052960614.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 264
  • image-640025398.jpg
    image-640025398.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 249
Looks good! Question, was it necessary to shave the 14 bolt or was it just so you could use that diff cover?

ballistic fab sells the standard diff cover. It is not necessary to shave the 14. I did it for ground clearance. With it shaved i'm only (roughly) 1/8-1/4 inch difference than a Dana 44 on ground clearance. So the 14 is way stronger than the 60 and now has the ground clearance of the 44. :icon_crazy:

it is not cheap to shave a 14 though. the kit is 240.00 (if I remember right) the ring gear has to be ground down now, that's 100.00 and the rod to wield it up is a special rod. due to it being cast iron.

Last edited:

Dune Crawler

ballistic fab sells the standard diff cover. It is not necessary to shave the 14. I did it for ground clearance. With it shaved i'm only (roughly) 1/8-1/4 inch difference than a Dana 44 on ground clearance. So the 14 is way stronger than the 60 and now has the ground clearance of the 44. :icon_crazy:

it is not cheap to shave a 14 though. the kit is 240.00 (if I remember right) the ring gear has to be ground down now, that's 100.00 and the rod to wield it up is a special rod. due to it being cast iron.

But for ground clearance and less likely to catch seems worth the money

-Nicco

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Interesting. Learned something new. Thanks!

The only downside to the 14 is that it is not a high pinion. It is considered the same as a Dana 80.

I should have this under the jeep geared for 2,500.00 with LSD. Or 3700 with arb. That's a lot less than a Dana 80.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I thought 80's were generally considered a lot stronger than 14's, and that there are a lot more gear choices. :thinking:

(Obviously I know the price difference is significant)

pvanweelden

I bet you are glad you choose the 80 for your jeep Sharkey :D
Technically the 14b is considered a 70, but what do I know since I spent almost that much building a 44 for my tj :D

Good job on your buggy Ricky! :D
Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

I thought 80's were generally considered a lot stronger than 14's, and that there are a lot more gear choices. :thinking: (Obviously I know the price difference is significant)

I have heard it two ways. One the ring gear is larger on the Dana 80, thus people say it's stronger. One argument is that the 3rd pinion bearing on the end keeps the pinion against the ring gear under heavy stress (which is the major cause of ring gear failures in the Dana's.) that makes it stronger.
Like I said. The downside is the low pinion. I could have flipped the axle over, drilled out the oil channels, bought reverse cut gears, and shaved it down. I decided against it...... For now. ;)

I bet you are glad you choose the 80 for your jeep Sharkey :D Technically the 14b is considered a 70, but what do I know since I spent almost that much building a 44 for my tj :D Good job on your buggy Ricky! :D Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

You are right about the gearing choices. :(
But arb does now make a locker for it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom