The perfect tire.

daddyusmaximus

Designing the perfect tire has eluded tire makers for decades, because no one tire can truly do everything well. I want an all terrain tire because like most people, most of the miles I drive are on paved roads. I need good snow traction as well.

However, I also want a mud terrain, because slick mud is one of the quickest ways to get stuck, and here in the Midwest, there never seems to be a shortage of mud around.

My idea is simple, combine the two. I took my inspiration off the BF Goodrich line using the KO2 tread in the center, and the KM2 tread blocks on the outer edges. Don't see why they never offer a tire like this.

WiscoHR

Look at the Cooper ST Max. I've ran them on 2 vehicles in the past and the are are great mix. I've used them in many different terrains from Wisconsin mud to Moab. They have worked well everywhere. IMG_0160.JPG

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I run Duratracs on my daily driver, my Tacoma, because I find myself in the same situation. Mostly highway miles, but occasionally find myself on a dirt road or two that can quickly turn to mud. They are also great in that occasional snow/ice storm we see in NE :)

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
No. It is good on pavement, and in the snow (so I hear). It does well in rain, on pavement. It did fine in Colorado, but that isn't real rock crawling. I couldn't say about mud. I avoid mud, as much as possible [emoji12].

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
For what your describing I would say the BFG AT would fit your needs. I've ran several sets on different vehicles and they worked great. Even in mud, as long as you can spin the tires and keep them cleaned out. Now the mud I had them in was just dirt road type mud. Someplace you would take a daily driver that wasn't a jeep. So deep thick mud you would probably get stuck very easily with them. But it's an AT don't forget. I would definitely run them on a 4x4 that sees a lot of pavement but still needs a slightly aggressive tire for snow to make it to work, or some slight mud if I were in a pasture trying to go fishing.

Another one I would look at is the Nitto Ridge Grapplers like somebody else mentioned. I like the looks of them and so far what I've seen they do great for their intended purpose.

daddyusmaximus

I have heard great things about the Duratrac's traction, but bad things about their weak sidewalls.

Big BFG fan, just can't decide between the MT and the AT. Leaning towards the KM2 only because my CJ5 is not a daily driver. I have no problems living with a mud terrain for on pavement driving, because they works so well once you get to the trail. It's only snow traction I worry about. I've ran the old BFG ATs in the past and the original KOs (but not the KO2s) with great results, except in mud. I've also ran Toyo Open Country MTs before with great traction and long life, even under a 9,000 lb Ford Super Duty. We only get like 3 or 4 real good snows a year these days, but I like snow driving, and I love pulling people out of ditches. Great feeling to be the guy that comes to the rescue.

I hate mud. I avoid it every chance I get, but if I need to go through it, kinda need the mud tire.

I love snow driving, but we don't get snow as much as we did in years past.

Need to hit the lotto and get a set of each...

Lil Nasty

No. It is good on pavement, and in the snow (so I hear). It does well in rain, on pavement. It did fine in Colorado, but that isn't real rock crawling. I couldn't say about mud. I avoid mud, as much as possible [emoji12].

Does alright in mud. Not as good as dedicated MT but better than 90% of other all-terrain tires. It's a jack of all trades and master of none.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Top Bottom