The perfect tire.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Not meaning to derail, but apparently you didn't hit the right trails in Colorado. I'd love to hear what you consider "real" rock crawling.

Don't get your underwear in a knot. I love Colorado. There wasn't anything around Ouray that a stock JK can't run

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

TANK

Thanks for clarifying, makes perfect sense to me. Beautiful scenery in that area by that's about it.

Basscat

I have heard great things about the Duratrac's traction, but bad things about their weak sidewalls.

Big BFG fan, just can't decide between the MT and the AT. Leaning towards the KM2 only because my CJ5 is not a daily driver. I have no problems living with a mud terrain for on pavement driving, because they works so well once you get to the trail. It's only snow traction I worry about. I've ran the old BFG ATs in the past and the original KOs (but not the KO2s) with great results, except in mud. I've also ran Toyo Open Country MTs before with great traction and long life, even under a 9,000 lb Ford Super Duty. We only get like 3 or 4 real good snows a year these days, but I like snow driving, and I love pulling people out of ditches. Great feeling to be the guy that comes to the rescue.

I hate mud. I avoid it every chance I get, but if I need to go through it, kinda need the mud tire.

I love snow driving, but we don't get snow as much as we did in years past.

Need to hit the lotto and get a set of each...

Really tough to beat the BFG AT KO2 for all around everything.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

atrollip

The Cooper ST Max are awesome. I'm running them and they are really good on rocks, sand and pavement. Truelly cannot say enough good things about this tire. Not so certain about mud, don't have alot of mud around usually. Iv only done 19000 miles on them but they wearing even and great.

Sent from my SM-N920C using WAYALIFE mobile app

toxicwaste29

I must say though. I have ko2 and have for two years. We got a little bit of snow here in Ohio. These things suck even in light dustings they easily spin. I have them on my JK and f250 and I won't run them again on either

Sent from my XT1254 using WAYALIFE mobile app

RjSkippy

I run 295/65/18 Duratracs and they have been a great tire. They've been through rocks, mud (which I try to avoid), and over 2' of snow. I have been very happy with performance and they wear well (over 25K on them and still a lot of meat on the tires). A bit of pain in the ass to keep balanced but I got them because they seemed to fit most of the boxes i wanted for a DD and weekend off-road adventures.

daddyusmaximus

The big reason I made this thread is because I live in Indiana. We have mud on the trails in the summer, and snow (it's snowing now) on the roads in the winter. There is no tire that will do well in both conditions. Though the Duratracs come close, the weak sidewalls are too much of a liability for me. They are a no-go at this station. I try to avoid mud when I can, but many times the mud hole blocks the entire trail. You have to go through. I'm trying to decide if I want my buddies to keep pulling me out of mud holes in the summer, so I can keep pulling people out of ditches in the winter. The snow that we get can be a mess, but it comes less frequent than the rain, so I'm leaning towards the KM2. I suppose I could sipe the center tread blocks.

SilverBack

Seriously look at the Ridge Grappler. I have driven them in snow, slush, ice and now mud as well as the normal dry and wet road driving and they are by far the best tire I've ever had on a Jeep. They are smooth and quiet on road and hook up very well in slippery shit both on and off the pavement. They clean out well in the mud, snow, slush also!

Last edited:

HoosierWolf

What part of Hoosier Land are you in? In Central IN we have snow like twice a year. Which is what is making me consider rethinking ATs and going with a true MT. If you are the lake effect area though.. giving up ATs might really suck. Summer and winter tires? I know that's a lot of money sitting in the garage half the year.

What about the Cooper MTs? I hear for an MT they are pretty good in the snow (no personal experience.)

daddyusmaximus

What part of Hoosier Land are you in? In Central IN we have snow like twice a year. Which is what is making me consider rethinking ATs and going with a true MT. If you are the lake effect area though.. giving up ATs might really suck. Summer and winter tires? I know that's a lot of money sitting in the garage half the year.

What about the Cooper MTs? I hear for an MT they are pretty good in the snow (no personal experience.)
I'm in Remington. That's half an hr north of Lafayette. We do get lake effect snow sometimes. Not often, but enough to make it a tough decision. Still leaning towards the MTs so far. Another problem is I want an old size that a lot of makers don't offer these days. I want a 35/12.50/15. These days it's all about 17" wheels and up.

BigBoy

The snow that we get can be a mess, but it comes less frequent than the rain, so I'm leaning towards the KM2. I suppose I could sipe the center tread blocks.

You will not like the KM2 in those conditions. They get very slippery in the snow. I didn't sipe mine but not sure that would be enough to help vs another option.

HoosierWolf

I'm in Remington. That's half an hr north of Lafayette. We do get lake effect snow sometimes. Not often, but enough to make it a tough decision. Still leaning towards the MTs so far. Another problem is I want an old size that a lot of makers don't offer these days. I want a 35/12.50/15. These days it's all about 17" wheels and up.

Yeah, you guys have actual winter. We have cold rain season.

Top Bottom