The TRUE Face of the all NEW 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks pretty much like a retooled JK to me.

I won't lie, that kind of disappoints me too. I'll still get one because I love Jeeps but I was really hoping for something different kind of like how the JK was so different from the TJ and the TJ was from the YJ before.

JAGS

Hooked
I talked to guy who's brother worked for jeep in Detroit. What I was told is that a good majority of the updates will be on the engine and the internal creature comforts. The engine to meet compliance and the internals to help keep sales high. This was about 12-18 months ago now. And seeing all the changes become less and less, I'm beginning to think this guy was legit.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Selfishly, I hoped and or am glad it looks the same. That way my jk will still remain newer looking for a longer period of time. Being that I bought a jk later in the game. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just stumbled across this

View attachment 227692

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Jeep/comments/5839kv/i_was_also_at_the_chrysler_technical_center_over/

Could this be a to scale model of the JL?

Note the hood change and the hood latches look recessed.

Also, if you go over to the reddit link, his picture is significantly larger in size. I had to scale it down to meet forum settings.

I think this is an accurate version of what the JL will look like. Notice how the hard top is in panels and how there is a C-Pillar. While you will be able to remove the top, it will structurally always be more like a full body. This follows what we've been hearing for a while now. What I want to see is what will it look like with a soft top - or, what we've been hearing about soft top "panels".

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I think this is an accurate version of what the JL will look like. Notice how the hard top is in panels and how there is a C-Pillar. While you will be able to remove the top, it will structurally always be more like a full body. This follows what we've been hearing for a while now. What I want to see is what will it look like with a soft top - or, what we've been hearing about soft top "panels".

I think you are right about the soft top panels. The grab handles/mounts seem to be a mount point for roof items, such as a bike rack or something. There is no way those go on a removable panel. I suspect that the roof will change a bit if this model is accurate.

Ddays

Hooked
Are you meaning grand Cherokee here when you say grand? Just wanting to clarify for my own knowledge. Wife has been looking at grand Cherokees.

Yep. I really like the Grand Cherokees but I would suggest her take a look at the Durango as well. The extra room is considerable plus it has the 3rd row seat if you'd ever want to use it. The ride is smoother and with the V6 they get decent mileage.
Like I said, I've had both but I personally prefer the Durango. I gotta be honest, this is probably the best all-around vehicle (next to Gruff of course) that I've ever had.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Looks like the back windows pop out.
IMG_1476824688.945390.jpg
Anyone hear if the doors still lift off? I would say no if this model is accurate.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What does this mean for the doorless roofless look ....

With the doors and top panels off, it should still look similar to what we're used to only with more structure around. Assuming this is what it will be like and it most likely will, this was done to help strengthen the body without adding more weight and if anything, lighten things up. Weight and the cutting of it down has been a real concern for the future Wrangler.

Odd. This front view doesn't jive at all with the one a the beginning of the thread. :thinking:

View attachment 227706

Again, I think this is just a "version" of it. If I could guess, this is what they were pushing for but ended up with what we're seeing in the poster - something more JK like.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like the back windows pop out.
View attachment 227708
Anyone hear if the doors still lift off? I would say no if this model is accurate.

Word is, the top will be in panels and they should all come off. What I want to know is what will the soft top version look like.

The doors are supposed to still come off or at least, that's what I last heard.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Yep. I really like the Grand Cherokees but I would suggest her take a look at the Durango as well. The extra room is considerable plus it has the 3rd row seat if you'd ever want to use it. The ride is smoother and with the V6 they get decent mileage.
Like I said, I've had both but I personally prefer the Durango. I gotta be honest, this is probably the best all-around vehicle (next to Gruff of course) that I've ever had.
Lol you've got me confused now. When you replied to my comment were you refering to the Grand Cherokee or Grand Wagoneer?

Sent from my LG-D851 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Lol you've got me confused now. When you replied to my comment were you refering to the Grand Cherokee or Grand Wagoneer?

I was referring to your comment about you hoping the new Grand Wagoneer wasn't just a re-badged Durango and I was stating that the Durango is basically already that but with somewhat different running gear. I think :thinking:
Haha, fuck, now I'm cornfused....

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I was referring to your comment about you hoping the new Grand Wagoneer wasn't just a re-badged Durango and I was stating that the Durango is basically already that but with somewhat different running gear. I think :thinking:
Haha, fuck, now I'm cornfused....
Lol I understand you now.

Top Bottom