The Winch Thread

caveman8fb

1. What kind of winch do u own? Engo E9000S
2. Pros/Cons?
Pros: Cheap with Synthetic line.
Cons: Made in China, loud
3. What kinda line do u use? Steel or Synthetic? Synthetic
4. Ever had to use it? Not yet, only tested.

The worst part is that I mounted my Chinese winch on a Warn bumper. :)

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
1. What kind of winch do u own? Quadratec Q9000
2. Pros/Cons?
Pros: cheap and fits in budget. Nice warrenty thru quadratec, quick line pull
Cons: steel line, havent found any others
3. What kinda line do u use? Steel or Synthetic? steel
4. Ever had to use it? pulled a 4 door out of the mud. pulled it out quick.

I purchased the PSC Brawler Lite front bumper with brawler bar. :D I will be purchasing a Warn winch. I need an air compressor too. Someone push me over the edge and help me decide and convince me that purchasing the Warn Powerplant HD or HP is the route to go. :thinking: I need to be guided by the almighty experience on this forum. thanks :thankyou:

Rob

how easy is it to swap a steel line for a synthetic? want to save some weight and it seems like everyone uses synthetic and loves it

Its was really easy on my winch. Put the winch in neutral and pull all the steel cable out until you have access to the allen screw that holds it in place. Remove the screw and the cable. Check for rough spots on the drum and sand if needed. At this point I did replace my roller fairlead for an aluminum one because the old one was pretty trashed. Attach the new cable and slide the nylon heat shield into place. I attached my floor jack to it and dragged it accross my lawn so it would have tension when I spooled it in.

and for the original question:
1. What kind of winch do u own? Warn XD9000i
2. Pros/Cons?
Pros: Its on its second Jeep, almost 15 years old.
Cons: Will zap a battery (I think this is most any winch though)
3. What kinda line do u use? Shittybilt 10k synthetic. I was in a jam and needed it right away otherwise I probably would have went with a better brand. It has held up so far and Ive done a couple nasty recoveries with it.
4. Ever had to use it? Yip, a few times for myself and many times for others.

WOKNROX

I'm still using my ol 1980 Warn M8274 ...
It is loaded with 130ft of synthetic 3/8 rope from Trail Gear...
Mounted on a Dave's Custom Fab bumper...
It pulls Fast and will pull well above its rated weight...

Sithwindu

I'm debating between the warn powerplant and the warn cti 9.5 with synth cable, very similar in price, not sure which to get tho >.<

beans

I'm debating between the warn powerplant and the warn cti 9.5 with synth cable, very similar in price, not sure which to get tho >.<

We were debating on the Warn (non VR series which are made in China) with a synthetic and decided recently after talking to some Wayalifers to go with Ramsey (made in the USA). They are about the same price and we wanted a company that is dedicated to making quality products in the states.

We went down to the Butler Offroad shop and saw the difference in quality between the VR Warn and the Warn USA stuff (the ones you are looking at like the cti 9.5) and there is a world of difference imho :twocents: The USA brand are simply more solid, sleeker and just are better made. So if your going Warn I'd say your probably making a good choice.

On a side note, if you are looking for Recovery straps et al to go with your Winch and recovery equipment we just purchased one via Master Pull (made in USA) and we are seriously impressed with the quality of their stuff. Reminded my husband of some of the stuff he used in the Marine Corp. They also sell some kick b*tt snatch blocks--powder coated and is just worth the cash :twocents: :D

Ramsey Winch: http://www.ramsey.com/

Master Pull: http://www.masterpull.com/7-8-super-yanker-kinetic-recovery-rope-28-500-lbs/

Jersey_Devil

I bought a "robo winch off eBay for my Sahara while the winch was in transit I rolled the jeep. Winch came in the mail but I had no jeep :( a week later I bought my Rubi and she had a few things on her already, one thing I really liked was it had a Warn xd9000i on it. Wow do I love this winch, I made this thread a year ago and have used the winch MANY times since my op and this winch is like an energizer bunny! U got the wallet for a warn then I say get it!

On a side note, I put the Ebay robo winch on my dad's truck and for a $200 10k winch, it performs flawlessly. Line speed is t fast but it's a good winch

Sent from my obama monitoring device

RamP

Winch -Warn Powerplant HD
Pros- Have yet to use the winch , other than spooling the cable, but have used the compressor to fill tires, and as a blower. Performs great and fills a 35" tire surprisingly fast.
Cons- I have it mounted to the stock bumper using Warn mounting plate ##88140. It is very tall and takes up most of the grill as stated before. If your thinking of a Powerplant consider investing at the same time for a front bumper that will accept the PP and lower it mounting position.
Line- Cable

Armydog

Anyone running a classic upright warn. WARN M8274-50
Fastest line speed, longest wire rope, legendary performance...

I like the old school upright design and the foot forward sheer strength over vertical hardened bolts which could fail under shearing forces, cooler drum temps for synthetic rope use and larger capacity of the open spool design..... It all sounds and looks good, anyone actually using them? How do they work out? How hard and how often do you pull with it? Any input is appreciated. Tango Yankee

CCTX50

I have an opportunity to purchase a lightly used Warn Zeon 10 with steel cable for $650.00. Is in almost new shape. Good deal for used? What is everyone's thoughts on the Zeon line? I prefer synthetic line due to weight. I suppose that I can change line down the road once the steel is damaged beyond repair. Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

David1tontj

Anyone running a classic upright warn. WARN M8274-50
Fastest line speed, longest wire rope, legendary performance...

I like the old school upright design and the foot forward sheer strength over vertical hardened bolts which could fail under shearing forces, cooler drum temps for synthetic rope use and larger capacity of the open spool design..... It all sounds and looks good, anyone actually using them? How do they work out? How hard and how often do you pull with it? Any input is appreciated. Tango Yankee

I have a friend with one and it seems to work great.. It makes me jealous every time I see how fast it is. It's like 65 ish fpm!! I actually am trading into one even though I don't need it. I like the winch I have and it has never let me down, but I can't pass up getting an 8274 on trade for fabrication work!

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

JoseRubicon

Guys. My fair lead looks like this. Is this normal? Started happening after all the salt on the roads. I was after almost every snow storm. You can see the bumper is clean. But this thing turned all ugly. Should I contact Warn about it?

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1392229551.497910.jpg

espi

Guys. My fair lead looks like this. Is this normal? Started happening after all the salt on the roads. I was after almost every snow storm. You can see the bumper is clean. But this thing turned all ugly. Should I contact Warn about it?

View attachment 68916

Mine looks identical it was on less than a week and the aluminum started to oxidize from the road salt.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using WAYALIFE mobile app

robx251

Caught the Bug
1. What kind of winch do u own?
Quadratec 9000

2. Pros/Cons? Pro: price was hard to beat, quality has been decent. Con: its a quadratec, doesn't have the name recognition and probably won't last as long as others

3. What kinda line do u use? Steel or Synthetic? Steel

4. Ever had to use it? A few times for myself and once for a 2500hd Chevy. It has worked fine every time i have needed it. It was pretty slow on the Chevy however. Great budget winch for the light wheeler and I recommend use of a snatch block on heavier loads

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

MNTN JK

I used my 9000 once worked great pulled me right out I think it's a great winch for the money and pulled my JKUR without a problem....

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 1392338880829.jpg
    1392338880829.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 458

Armydog

I have a friend with one and it seems to work great.. It makes me jealous every time I see how fast it is. It's like 65 ish fpm!! I actually am trading into one even though I don't need it. I like the winch I have and it has never let me down, but I can't pass up getting an 8274 on trade for fabrication work!

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Let me know if you get one and how it works out... my SHITTYBUILT XRC10 works fine, but I am gonna try to break it so I NEED a new one.....

Holeshot

Banned

View attachment 68916

yep it's normal. There is no protection over it, so salt attacks it directly. Mine does the same, will have to polish it once the weather gets nicer.

Top Bottom