The Winch Thread

Siebermd

Warn 8274

Pros: line speed, pulls much more than the rated 8k, external brake so no heat issues with synthetic line, will hold around 130 ft of 3/8" line, and durable. Mine is 36 yrs old.

Cons: weight and size. Foot forward mounting limits mounting options

Synthetic or steel: synthetic. It offsets some of the weight of the winch and is safer.

Have you used it: more times than I could count

Plus its the only winch that looks at home on a cj.

That is "THE" winch! If it weren't so danged $$$ I would have one. Maybe someday

Shadow's_Jeep

Caught the Bug
1. Type - Warn M-8000
2. Pros - It's a Warn . paid 650.00 new in 09.
2. Con's - none yet.
3. Type line - Steel.
4. Have u used it - officially not yet.

KingCopperhead

Engo e9000 with synthetic line.
Pros: inexpensive. Easy to use. Simple hand controller.
Cons: battery wires are a little on the short side. Some of the screws on the housing were loose.
Type of line, I use is synthetic. Holding up very well so far.

Have I used it? Yes, about ten times since I bought it. Worked flawlessly, even in sub zero temperatures. Several 50 ft pulls (friends rig got stuck in mud/snow several times within a span of a few hours, winch never even got hot.)

At the end of the day it's still a budget winch. I bought it because I'm a weekend warrior at best and I don't wheel more than once a month . I'd also never owned one when I bought it and wasn't sure how often I'd use it on the trail.

Would I recommend it? Yes, absolutely to a casual user. That being said: If and when it ever craps out I'll likely move to a warn zeon or power plant since I now know how vital a piece of equipment a winch is on the trail.

SnailTrail

Smittybilt X20 10s

Pros: Waterproof, cheaper than Warn, synthetic line

Cons: Not a Warn, Made in China

I used it once a month after buying it. Failed miserably. Had 4 seperate issues with it. Returned for refund. Unless this was a total lemon, I would not recommend it.

CastleRockJeep

Warn M8000s
Pros: Warn, made in USA
Cons: None yet

I have used it once with a light load, helping a ZJ up a steep grade that was covered in ice. Worked like a charm

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Warn XD9000i I bought on sale new in 2000, was on my TJ now it's on my JK.
Pro: got a deal on it, it's a Warn, even have a service shop about 20 miles from the house.

Con: can't think of any.

Just got new paint and new synthetic line.

Been used many times and never missed a beat. Worth every penny..

ttfhell

Engo 10000 never failed but was concerned with longevity. Bought a new Warn 9.5 Cti used only to spool the rope on and the clutch lever won't turn to free spool lol. Doesn't matter what I do I have to spool out under power. Made in USA though...

MTG

Caught the Bug
Engo 10000 never failed but was concerned with longevity. Bought a new Warn 9.5 Cti used only to spool the rope on and the clutch lever won't turn to free spool lol. Doesn't matter what I do I have to spool out under power. Made in USA though...

Install error.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Warn Powerplant HD 12K
Pros - 12K pulling power, Air Compressor Warn quality
Cons - covers most of the grill
Used - twice for self recovery, a bunch of times recovering other$$

2015-04-04 06.22.42.jpg

Richard

Just installed a warn powerplant 9.5k on a 1/4 pounder w/ stinger. I have to say the quality of the materials and workmanship is outstanding. I'm a fan of buy it once and do it right the first time. My money was well spent!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432104857.884109.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1432104857.884109.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 517
Last edited:

big dr

DAMIT!!! 12 pages and I'm the only guy with a crappy Harbor Freight Badlands 12k.:grayno:

PROS: #1) Cheap,, a buddy had a coupon for buy 1, get 1 free,, I paid him $200 for it, brand new in box.
#2) It has worked every time I'v used it, except one.

CON: #1) I dont trust it! I only overheated it on 1 pull, and it stopped working till it cooled. Part of this was my fault because I didnt realize how hard the pull had become(front tire hit an undercut I was pulling against).
#2) I have a Badland on my front bumper,,, EMBARRASSING:doh:

Line: Synthetic from Dominion Off Road

Some day a warn will be on my bumper:yup:,, but I will not do an air model as I will prefer to have a twin ARB under the passenger seat. ( Just my preference)

Attachments

• IMG_0430.jpg
    IMG_0430.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 240

TeamFaust

1. Type - Quadratec Q9500i
2. Pros - Price was great for integrated type, good pull speed, happy with the quality
2. Con's - none yet.
3. Type line - Steel -- would have preferred synthetic, but wasn't available on this unit when I bought (a bit pricy to change out now, eventually)
4. Have u used it - a few times.
217 winch installed 3.jpg

Note: I hadn't yet completed running the wiring when pic was taken hence the coil of black wire in front of winch on left

Last edited:
Top Bottom