Ultimate Offroad Dynamics Steering

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
So I was recently hit up on IG about this little starter company out of North Carolina. It was from a gentleman by the name of Oliver who appears to be the owner and operator of this company. They seem to specialize in upgraded steering for JK's. After speaking with him for some time online he sold me on the product at a largely discounted price.
Now there hasn't been much in the way of innovation in the steering of a straight axle over the years. This gentleman uses an outer steel sleeve and aluminum core to build the drag link and the tie rod. In short, it is a DOM sleeve with a solid aluminum core that he inserts with cryo liquid and comes with 1 ton TRE's. It arrived after several weeks "in shipping" for some odd reason.
I will go ahead and be the test run for this product. I have yet to see anyone review this product on here but I could be wrong, feel free to correct me ladies and gentlemen. Wouldn't be the first time I screwed that up, sorry.
When it arrived it was packaged well but without instructions. Being as I've done numerous steering upgrades on previous builds, it is no sweat for us. As for the under experienced, this could pose quite a problem. I requested it raw, and so it came but with no oil coating or protectant over it so it came with a slight rust on the surface. Again nothing I can't fix in a jiffy but still may pose a problem with a new Jeeper wanting a stronger steering setup. The welds and overall look is great. They are substantially beefy. I will be installing this on Monday. So standby for more.
View attachment 244454

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Curious how this goes. I just purchased the parts from Ruffstuff to build one outta DOM. You said it comes with tie rod ends, are they the same taper as the factory jk? Any need to ream the knuckles?

JeepDrum

Curious how this goes. I just purchased the parts from Ruffstuff to build one outta DOM. You said it comes with tie rod ends, are they the same taper as the factory jk? Any need to ream the knuckles?

I'd be interested to find out also. My tie rod ends have been sloppy for a bit now and I really need a replacement. The ruff stuff kit looks like a really reasonable choice. It seems like it's hit or miss if one has to ream the knuckles though. I really don't feel like doing that. I wonder if this company just buys the GM tie rod ends from the same company as Ruff Stuff does.

Studfam24

Looks to be the same diameter so far. I'll know more mo day when I put it on. They included a crush sleeve as well since I already drilled my knuckle out for my drag link flip.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Only claims were high strength from the dom and added elasticity from the aluminum core so it'll bend and return to shape. We'll see.

Explain this one. This is a line of bullshit. Steel does not bend and return to shape by itself. When it bends, it's bent.

Also there is absolutely nothing innovative about this product. It's a copy of everything else out there.

Last edited:

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Explain this one. This is a line of bullshit. Steel does not bend and return to shape by itself. When it bends, it's bent.

Also there is absolutely nothing innovative about this product. It's a copy of everything else out there.

Agreed. The fact it's a solid rod might mean it's harder to bend, but the guy didn't reinvent the properties of steel in his garage. :doh:

Exodus 4x4

I'm pretty sure no matter what tie rod you put in there, its going to bend when it gets hit hard enough. There is no miracle cure for that shit. I've got a "hd" tie rod I've yet to install but even when I do, I don't expect that it will survive any hit without bending. When you take something with that small of a diameter and stretch it out over that much of a distance, it's inevitable. Just pick better lines on the trail.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Only claims were high strength from the dom and added elasticity from the aluminum core so it'll bend and return to shape. We'll see.

so you are saying it will.... ehem "return to shape like an empty soda can"?? :thinking: :cheesy: :cheesy:

8ab2f0c205da9b78f55f0d14d5e7d5da550b04dd7dafd68c6bf080a66aa0c758.jpg

Last edited:

Studfam24

Haha! Don't tell me to explain it. Read closer. These are his claims. Smh! I'm simply going to try it out to see if it does what he says or if it's any better than other setups I've run.

Studfam24

so you are saying it will.... ehem "return to shape like an empty soda can"?? :thinking: :cheesy: :cheesy:

View attachment 244538

I surely hope you aren't calling me a moron. If you read this thread at all, I'm trying out a product that no one else has written about on this forum. Why wouldn't you want to know about all the other products and builders out there? How can you claim what you think is "best" if no one you know has tried it. Maybe he's onto something. The military uses this same process for many engineering parts. Take chill pill bub... lol.
I appreciate your constructive addition to this thread though. [emoji1360]

Studfam24

I'm pretty sure no matter what tie rod you put in there, its going to bend when it gets hit hard enough. There is no miracle cure for that shit. I've got a "hd" tie rod I've yet to install but even when I do, I don't expect that it will survive any hit without bending. When you take something with that small of a diameter and stretch it out over that much of a distance, it's inevitable. Just pick better lines on the trail.

He said pick better lines! [emoji12]

chitown35

LOSER
I don't see how plastic type material distortion can at all be better with aluminum vs steel for the same diameter. Maybe compression strength?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

WJCO

Meme King
Looks like the trolls are out in force today. Shoulda brought my troll repellant. [emoji1375]

Calm down. I don't think anyone here is buying that this new product is going to prove to be any different than many tie rods that have been built over the years and they're just calling it like they see it.

Studfam24

Calm down. I don't think anyone here is buying that this new product is going to prove to be any different than many tie rods that have been built over the years and they're just calling it like they see it.

True story, did you read all the hate?

I'm confused because this is a huge part of what forums are for. Correct me if I'm wrong though. Community and information. So many people get upset because someone posted about a new product? Get over it. Come on guys and gals.
Call it like they see it sure, don't be dicks. Same team...

Build thread:
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=37388

WJCO

Meme King
True story, did you read all the hate?

I'm confused because this is a huge part of what forums are for. Correct me if I'm wrong though. Community and information. So many people get upset because someone posted about a new product? Get over it. Come on guys and gals.
Call it like they see it sure, don't be dicks. Same team...

True story? I see no hate, no dicks, nor upset members here. Maybe I'm missing something. I just see people asking questions and stating opinions which is a huge part of what forums are for.

Top Bottom