WAYALIFE EPIC TREX : Rockin Rubicon Run 2015 - July 14th-16th

I am having a little issue with the rear plug in my jeep though... the ARB seems to think that my battery power is dropping or something... it tends to go into "reserve" mode or whatever you call it.

You can change the battery protection settings to make it not so sensitive. This seems to have worked for us. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am having a little issue with the rear plug in my jeep though... the ARB seems to think that my battery power is dropping or something... it tends to go into "reserve" mode or whatever you call it.

You need to run a direct line from your battery with a heavy gauge wire to wherever you want to plug your fridge. The factory wire is too small of a wire and it won't work well. ARB sells a kit to do this but, you can go to any autoparts store and make your own setup.

kyleolson

You need to run a direct line from your battery with a heavy gauge wire to wherever you want to plug your fridge. The factory wire is too small of a wire and it won't work well. ARB sells a kit to do this but, you can go to any autoparts store and make your own setup.

Yah... I figured i would have to... I might try it on the low setting for a couple days and see how it works. Otherwise I will get the kit.

K.D.C.H

Thanks for the heads up on this. I only have the one plug in the dash so I'll probably look to add on in the back for the fridge.

What gauge wire do you recommend for a DIY kit?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the heads up on this. I only have the one plug in the dash so I'll probably look to add on in the back for the fridge.

If I recall, I used 10 gauge wires. You will also want to have an inline fuse on the power lead.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer

Try the center console until you wire up a new plug

K.D.C.H

Mine wouldn't work on the rear plug. But it will work on the center console one.

How long is the supplied power cord? I don't have a rear plug so I'll have to add one in the back or run it to the dash from the back seat.

07JKSahara

How long is the supplied power cord? I don't have a rear plug so I'll have to add one in the back or run it to the dash from the back seat.

I have a whole roll of 8 gauge in the garage and I think a 50 amp inline fuse you can have. Would that be enough amps?

Does a 15 amp fuse sound about right for this?

Remember a fuse is protecting the lowest rated device in the circuit. I think the plug that comes with the ARB is fused at 7 amps. Using a heavier AWG wire is not for current capacity as much as to help with voltage loss. I would thing even 12 AWG would be more than sufficient for this. (Back to fusing), If you are planning to wire in a receptacle and use the supplied ARB cord. The receptacle will likely be the limiting current carrying item and you should fuse to protect it. I'd be surprised if you can find one rated more than 10 amps.

Hm... Disclaimer: I know jack sh!t about electrical.

So you're saying my 50 amp fuse for my 3 55w driving lights is maybe overkill??? 

Current draw should be about 14 amps. Depending on what wire you used, you might as well not have added a fuse at all. :yup:

Top Bottom