Which ARB compressor ?

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
I have never tried, but I would think the sheer volume of an air mattress would make it miserably slow. For something like that I think you would be better with a 12v low pressure high volume air mattress pump.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Robertcrav

Depending on year of your Jeep, Viair, makes a tank that mounts on the low side, behind the radiator...virtually unused space
Screenshot_20170711-071418.png Screenshot_20170711-071430.png

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Wethy

I have never tried, but I would think the sheer volume of an air mattress would make it miserably slow. For something like that I think you would be better with a 12v low pressure high volume air mattress pump.

This is why i ask the questions! Lol makes you think. But yeah i have looked into them but even the one i have is slow to fill a double. I figured i might be able to kill 2 birds with one stone.

Depending on year of your Jeep, Viair, makes a tank that mounts on the low side, behind the radiator...virtually unused space

That must be 07-11 based on the oil filter placement i have a 14 unfortunately

Last edited:

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
For what you've said, an air tank would have zero value for you. The only thing that extra volume can help with is air tools and even then it takes a lot of air.

I'd probably stick with a single ARB in your case and save your money. I have the twin, but that's mostly due to airing back up on 37's.

GraniteCrystal

For what you've said, an air tank would have zero value for you. The only thing that extra volume can help with is air tools and even then it takes a lot of air.

I'd probably stick with a single ARB in your case and save your money. I have the twin, but that's mostly due to airing back up on 37's.
The air tank could blow up an air mattress wicked fast though couldn't it?

Wethy

Yeah thats kind of what i was thinking about a tank. At that point a power tank setup might be more useful then i could just prefill the tank before outings and use it as needed. However i prefer the thought of air on demand. And air tools arent really an issue i do have a 1/2" Dewalt 20V max Xr impact and drill. Thats generally whre my power tool usage ends and even then doesnt get used that often on the jeep. The only draw to the twin is double the CFM but i dont think its worth that much for the little it would get used with my 35s. Like yourself if i had 37s/40s it wouldnt even be a question ha ha.
Yeah, that's a good point.
Its a tough decision either way. I know a lot of people recommend the twin over the single anyways but i just dont think i need twin or a tank

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Paws

ARB compressor random questions

If you decide you need more air later, just find a second single arb and connect them together inline. Would need to mount them in different area but it would be comparable speed to the twin.

While I don't have any real world experience doing this I plan to if I don't like the speed of my single when it's installed. My use will be for lockers and 37 tires.

meljr

I tend to agree...

However, my first ARB compressor (single) failed after a few years of airing up 37s and I replaced it with a double. So far, so good. I also use it to air up tractor and truck tires around the farm and the occasional air mattress when campling. Probably less than two minutes for an air mattress.

By the way, I have a single ARB compressor on my Comanche, but that is mostly for the lockers with very light use otherwise.

-mel 6360853981_a1330b841a_o.jpg 7523774352_61db609027_o.jpg 7523774856_e4537f405c_o.jpg 9300653239_f70c0cd057_z.jpg

However, my first ARB compressor (single) failed after a few years of airing up 37s and I replaced it with a double. So far, so good. I also use it to air up tractor and truck tires around the farm and the occasional air mattress when campling. Probably less than two minutes for an air mattress.

By the way, I have a single ARB compressor on my Comanche, but that is mostly for the lockers with very light use otherwise.

-mel

Yea, this is what I'm worried about and why I don't use my single to fill up my 40"s. Where did you have your single mounted? I have mine under the hood on the driver's side, and wonder if I can use the same mount to throw in the double. Thoughts?

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug

I'm quoting @meljr here just to say that I wouldn't take this as a knock on the ARB single. If you check out ARB's website, they won't come out and say don't use the single for big tires like this, but they definitely push you to the 100% duty cycle of the twin instead. Airing up 35's occasionally and camping supplies won't kill the lifespan of the single.

The Powertank is a cool product for sure and has its pros and cons over a compressor, but it's hard to beat the convenience of flipping a switch and having unlimited air whenever you need it.

Wethy

-mel View attachment 267614 View attachment 267615 View attachment 267616 View attachment 267617
Was that 2 minute time frame with the twin or the single? Just curious.

I'm quoting @meljr here just to say that I wouldn't take this as a knock on the ARB single. If you check out ARB's website, they won't come out and say don't use the single for big tires like this, but they definitely push you to the 100% duty cycle of the twin instead. Airing up 35's occasionally and camping supplies won't kill the lifespan of the single.

The Powertank is a cool product for sure and has its pros and cons over a compressor, but it's hard to beat the convenience of flipping a switch and having unlimited air whenever you need it.

I do agree like the idea of a tank however to have it filled after a certain amount of time is kind of unfortunate cuz you might not think about it then run out. On board air seems like the way to go

meljr

Yea, this is what I'm worried about and why I don't use my single to fill up my 40"s. Where did you have your single mounted? I have mine under the hood on the driver's side, and wonder if I can use the same mount to throw in the double. Thoughts?

I had to buy a different mount when I changed from the single to a double. Both mount on the driver's side under the hood of my JK. However, I was able to re-use the JK single mount on my Comanche by tapping some holes near the battery tray when I added ARB lockers (and bought another single) last year. I run JK Rubicon take offs with SpiderTrax spacers on the Comanche, which measure something like 31.5".

Also, being a belt and suspenders kind of guy, I carry a fully charged Powertank on my JK's spare tire rack along with a 5 gallon jerry can of gas. It really sucks to be stuck in the boonies because your compressor craps out or you run out of gas.

-meljr
6265282332_e1072c9cde_o.jpg 30415357044_a7efe3589f_z.jpg 31122161101_0fa1030321_z.jpg

Last edited:

meljr

Was that 2 minute time frame with the twin or the single? Just curious.

I do agree like the idea of a tank however to have it filled after a certain amount of time is kind of unfortunate cuz you might not think about it then run out. On board air seems like the way to go

To the best of my recollection, it is pretty quick to fill an air mattress with either the single or double ARB compressors. It takes more time to set everything up to inflate the mattress, pool toys or whatever and then put everything back than it does to actually pump up those rather low-pressure items.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I have the ARB single now, but with the move to 40's, I'm looking to upgrade soon. I'm in between powertank and ARB, just need to make up my mind. Not sure if I like that the twin sits over the brake fluid, and I have no clue where I would put a powertank? Decisions..

Robertcrav

I have the ARB single now, but with the move to 40's, I'm looking to upgrade soon. I'm in between powertank and ARB, just need to make up my mind. Not sure if I like that the twin sits over the brake fluid, and I have no clue where I would put a powertank? Decisions..

ARB can go under the passenger seat...

Desert Crawler

ARB compressor random questions

I have a double under the seat and used it to air up everyone's inflatable air mattresses and lake floats while camping last weekend . It didn't take much longer than a good home compresser.

Top Bottom