Which ARB compressor ?

TrailHunter

Hooked
ARB compressor random questions

What bracket is everyone using to mount an ARB twin under the hood.... the Evo bracket says "not for twin"... Is "Barnes" the way to go?
(17 JKU)

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

World Traveler 76

Question: Is it recommended to use the small “tank” (not sure of its actual name) or is coming directly out then top of the dual ARB compressor into an air line suitable?

I have the dual on my 2016 JKU with the MORE mounting bracket. Have yet to air down, or air up, so I haven’t put it through the paces. I have it on a compressor switch inside via an sPod, for instant on/instant off.

I was able to cobble a copper fitting for a quick release air hose (replacing the ARB blue nub). When the airline is attached, the compressor runs for about 10 seconds until the line is fully pressurized. Then, it seems to run fine when I pull my trigger when testing the air hose.

But now I’m debating if I should have purchased the tank”. Am I going to ruin anything in the long run, the way I have it set up? Not even sure what this “tank” is supposed to do.

This forum has helped me think through a ton of decisions, but I didn’t do my research before I got the compressor.

Thoughts and suggestions welcomed.

IMG_0085.jpg

"RUGER"
2016 Rubicon - Hard Rock

wjtstudios

Hooked
Question: Is it recommended to use the small “tank” (not sure of its actual name) or is coming directly out then top of the dual ARB compressor into an air line suitable?

I have the dual on my 2016 JKU with the MORE mounting bracket. Have yet to air down, or air up, so I haven’t put it through the paces. I have it on a compressor switch inside via an sPod, for instant on/instant off.

I was able to cobble a copper fitting for a quick release air hose (replacing the ARB blue nub). When the airline is attached, the compressor runs for about 10 seconds until the line is fully pressurized. Then, it seems to run fine when I pull my trigger when testing the air hose.

But now I’m debating if I should have purchased the tank”. Am I going to ruin anything in the long run, the way I have it set up? Not even sure what this “tank” is supposed to do.

This forum has helped me think through a ton of decisions, but I didn’t do my research before I got the compressor.

View attachment 278256

"RUGER"
2016 Rubicon - Hard Rock

I have the exact same set up and have been running it for years with out an issue. Keep the hood open to get air flow around it and it will air up your tires and any else around you with out over heating. I am adding the tank, it's been sitting on my bench for months, to be able to return run air tools. But that's the only reason to add it.

jeeeep

Hooked
Im considering getting either the twin or the single but will use it more often for camping activities like blowing up an air mattress or an inflatable dingy than inflating my tires, since very few trails around me require me to air down (the nearest trail requiring any airing down is about 2-3 hours away). So i can live with the slower performance of the single. But what id really like to know is if anyone here has used their compressors for stuff like that and roughly how long would it take to blow up a double or queen air mattress with the single/twin? Wondering if the twin is worth the extra money in this scenario. I know the twin is 100% duty but like i said i dont air down too often so im not concerned about the speed. And the fact that most places up north here are selling the single for 350 and the twin for 850-950 makes me consider the single ha ha

I carry a power inverter and a Coleman 120v for out air mattress, it also came with adapters for filling other inflatables.

The ARB puts out about 3CFM - 6CFM depending on model, the Coleman 120v pump I have puts out around 30CFM but it's not made for high pressure filling like the ARB

Coleman makes a 12v pump but its a slower fill than the 120v - they're both around $20.

I've found Intex air pumps to be pretty reliable as well for inflatables.

:doh: just noticed the original post date :doh:

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

View attachment 278256

"RUGER"
2016 Rubicon - Hard Rock

The small “tank” is needed if you plan on running air lockers. It gives you a spot to screw the air solenoids into to pressurize the locker

desertrunner

Im considering getting either the twin or the single but will use it more often for camping activities like blowing up an air mattress or an inflatable dingy than inflating my tires, since very few trails around me require me to air down (the nearest trail requiring any airing down is about 2-3 hours away). So i can live with the slower performance of the single. But what id really like to know is if anyone here has used their compressors for stuff like that and roughly how long would it take to blow up a double or queen air mattress with the single/twin? Wondering if the twin is worth the extra money in this scenario. I know the twin is 100% duty but like i said i dont air down too often so im not concerned about the speed. And the fact that most places up north here are selling the single for 350 and the twin for 850-950 makes me consider the single ha ha
Not sure if it was said yet or if you already have a winch BUT I have a warn power plant that I have used a bunch for inflating air mattresses and tubes while camping. It airs up my 33s from 10 to 30 psi in 2mins each and hell I even ran a nail gun off of it in my garage haha. So if you don't have a winch you could kill 2 birds with one stone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
The small “tank” is needed if you plan on running air lockers. It gives you a spot to screw the air solenoids into to pressurize the locker

ARB makes two parts (tanks), the manifold and a small 1 gallon tank. The manifold is the attachment ports for the lockers and the inflator, or the tank if you have one. The 1 gallon tank has 1 port in and one out to take some of load on the compressor when running tools. Neither one are required to inflate tires.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
ARB makes two parts (tanks), the manifold and a small 1 gallon tank. The manifold is the attachment ports for the lockers and the inflator, or the tank if you have one. The 1 gallon tank has 1 port in and one out to take some of load on the compressor when running tools. Neither one are required to inflate tires.

Correct not needed for if it’s only to fill tires. I said it’s needed to run air lockers tho.......

World Traveler 76

Thank you all!!

With the Rubicon I have electric lockers, so in theory I won’t need to run that line.

I also don’t plan on using air tools (but we all know how Karma works), so the manifold (couldn’t remember what it was called to save my life!) won’t be necessary either.

Sounds like the set up, only for tires, will be good to go (with the hood open for airflow).

Appreciate the quick responses!

"RUGER"
2016 Rubicon - Hard Rock

BattleAx09

ARB Air Compressor Upgrade

Hi all,
I was thinking about upgrading to a larger on-board air compressor and was wondering if you guys think that it’s a worthwhile investment. Right now, I have the ARB mini compressor which is only used to engage my rear locker. I am considering upgrading to the next-larger model (ARB High-Output) so that I can use it to fill my tires too. I’m currently running 33s but may be going up to 35s in the near future. I would also like to put an air locker in the front eventually too. Thoughts?

WJCO

Meme King
Hi all,
I was thinking about upgrading to a larger on-board air compressor and was wondering if you guys think that it’s a worthwhile investment. Right now, I have the ARB mini compressor which is only used to engage my rear locker. I am considering upgrading to the next-larger model (ARB High-Output) so that I can use it to fill my tires too. I’m currently running 33s but may be going up to 35s in the near future. I would also like to put an air locker in the front eventually too. Thoughts?

Merged here.

I've run both CKMA12 and CKMTA12 (TWIN). Either is fine, but if you have the money, get the big twin. It's a little faster.

The single one (CKMA12) comes with the manifold already and you can run two lockers. But the twin requires the manifold purchased separately.

IIRC, the mini one that you already have isn't designed for tires at all.

jesse3638

Hooked
Hi all,
I only have experience with the ARB high output single CKMA12. As Doug mentioned it does come with the manifold and wiring for locker solenoids. I was originally going to buy the twin but in talking with Bubba at exodus he talked me out of it. He said you'll really only benefit from it if you're running 40's otherwise its hard to justify the cost. Its nearly double for everything you'll need. Not to mention using the EVO mount it tucks up nicely out of the way. That being said it airs up my 37's plenty fast for me. It takes around 2 and a half minutes to go from 12 to 25psi. Overall I've been happy with it and it's much better than my harbor freight high volume compressor I used to air up..haha. Here is a pic of my set up. 20201223_180120.jpg 20201223_180146.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Hi all,

I have the ARB single high output compressor and it works fine for stock (not running lockers at this time). As everyone said it has the manifold on it. I had considered getting the twin. But it seems like Eddie runs the single on all his builds. And I figured if the single was adequate for what he did it would be more than adequate for my build even if I one day go big. Cheers, good luck.

CalSgt

Hooked
I have the single high output ARB and it works okay, I was a little disappointed with performance airing up 37's but the only thing I have to compare with is my portable 12V Viar 450P. If I had it to do again I would get the double...

Looking at their ratings the ARB has a higher output but my Viar performs better

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’m not patient, I run a twin.

It will fill all 4 of my 40s simultaneously from 8 psi to 28 psi in about 10-12 minutes. There is also a bit of redundancy, if one motor or piston fails, the other will continue to work.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Top Bottom