WJCO's Build Thread, 1999 WJ

WJCO

Meme King
Decided to post this in my build thread. My brother just picked up this YJ at a great price. He only drives it here and there. Great little vehicle for a non daily driver. Sitting on 32 BFGs. Cool color too.

IMG_20160429_141110_668.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
Decided to post this in my build thread. My brother just picked up this YJ at a great price. He only drives it here and there. Great little vehicle for a non daily driver. Sitting on 32 BFGs. Cool color too.

Hey now, while that's a nice lookin YJ don't be thinkin this can take the place of the JK you said may happen buster!

JK....JK....JK....JK

WJCO

Meme King
Worked on the tire carrier today. It may be hard to tell in the first picture, but I moved the tire over 1.5 inches toward the driver's side. Prior to this, when I opened the hatch (with the carrier open), there was only about 1/8" clearance between the hatch and the edge of the tire. Now I have over 1.5 inches of clearance. I plan to move up to 33s soon, and I needed that extra clearance so the hatch would open.

DSC03493.JPG

DSC03494.JPG

DSC03496.JPG

Ddays

Hooked
Worked on the tire carrier today. It may be hard to tell in the first picture, but I moved the tire over 1.5 inches toward the driver's side. Prior to this, when I opened the hatch (with the carrier open), there was only about 1/8" clearance between the hatch and the edge of the tire. Now I have over 1.5 inches of clearance. I plan to move up to 33s soon, and I needed that extra clearance so the hatch would open.

View attachment 203528

View attachment 203529

View attachment 203530

Are you getting the Cooper STT's? If so you will be pleased with them. They are surprisingly quiet on road and work very well in snow & mud.

WJCO

Meme King
Need some help Wayalife. I fucked up on this tire carrier today. I solved one problem but created another. So now my hatch clears the tire like it's suppose to, but when I re-welded my carrier to make this happen, I must have changed the angle of where the tire mount tilts.

Now my sidewall of the tire is nearly resting on the carrier whereas it used to be about an inch away. Problem is when I go to my new STT pros, they are 1.5 inches wider than my current BFGs...so I need approximately 3/4" between the tire sidewall and the tire carrier frame. It would be a lot more fab work for me to cut the carrier and angle it properly back to the way it was, I don't want to do that. So I think my best option right now is one of the following parts. This is a JK bolt pattern so I'm hoping you guys will have some experience (either bad or good) with the following parts. The Zone seems more appealing to me as it looks simpler. Hoping to get some feedback. I'm open to any other options as well if anyone can think of a better idea for getting my tire spaced away from the carrier further. Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-16-Jeep-...ash=item3f5f8c241e:g:-9sAAOSwJQdW9Jl1&vxp=mtr

OR

http://zoneoffroad.com/zone-offroad-products-spare-tire-relocation-bracket-jeep-wrangler-jk/j5029

DSC03497.jpg

Brute

Hooked
Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah, definitely no 'Dennis' parts.

If you only need to move the tire a few inches away from the carrier, would a chunk of delrin with a few holes drilled for the tire studs to act like a spacer work?

Brute

Hooked
If you only need to move the tire a few inches away from the carrier, would a chunk of delrin with a few holes drilled for the tire studs to act like a spacer work?

Actually, after looking at the relocation bracket again...and the price....this would be a better option than fabbing one yourself...

WJCO

Meme King

Actually, after looking at the relocation bracket again...and the price....this would be a better option than fabbing one yourself...

I thought about something like that. 2 things, First of all, I want steel. There is enough weight back there, that I don't want the risk of plastic wearing out creating a safety hazard or excessive vibration over time. Secondly, I need about .750 of extra space, once I add a spacer like that, I now have to get longer studs to mount the tire, so I have to cut/drill the old studs out (they're currently welded on) and replace with longer studs. So it's just one thing after another. The relocation bracket does seem to be the simple/costly solution.

WJCO

Meme King
I went with the Zone bracket. Seemed like the right thing to do. I'll post pics once I get it on there.

Top Bottom