WJCO's Build Thread, 1999 WJ

GraniteCrystal

This idea comes from GraniteCrystal. Now I have a way to keep my tie downs organized and stored. Perfect fit.

Nice! Glad that worked for you. I'm waiting on four more cases to ship from China. No joke, estimated delivery is over a month from now. Must be some China man rowing them to North America.

WJCO

Meme King
Nice! Glad that worked for you. I'm waiting on four more cases to ship from China. No joke, estimated delivery is over a month from now. Must be some China man rowing them to North America.

Wow. I've had stuff from China take that long. Thanks for letting me know. I'll probably get some more of the ebay ones for 4 dollars that already arrived here from China, lol. They probably have to charge more to pay the row boat captain.

Ddays

Hooked
This idea comes from GraniteCrystal. Now I have a way to keep my tie downs organized and stored. Perfect fit.

View attachment 194613

Now where in the Hell is the fun in those? Isn't this one of the 500 miserable plain-in-the-ass chores that Dad's have to undertake? #17 on the list is untangling tie straps.
(Good idea GraniteCrystal!)

GraniteCrystal

Got 3 more sun glass cases for my tie downs. Thanks again, GraniteCrystal. Great idea.

My guy is still rowing. Due to make land fall in 3 weeks.

Figured out where you keep them? In bag? On rope? I'm thinking of making a rope system I can carabiner stuff to.

WJCO

Meme King
I am glad you changed your Avatar....it was really starting to creep me out!

Yeah, homeland security paid me a visit. Guess it was time for a change.

Where did you get the cases?

EBay. For like 4 bucks each.

My guy is still rowing. Due to make land fall in 3 weeks.

Figured out where you keep them? In bag? On rope? I'm thinking of making a rope system I can carabiner stuff to.

They're definitely from the same guy. I hooked them on a factory tie down on the Jeep and the cosmetically-appealing plastic hook tore right off the case just due to the hanging weight of the case. Can't say I'm not surprised. Now I just have them in the factory storage compartment.

Nice build. That's a great idea for tie down traps.
Thanks. The idea came from GraniteCrystal.

WJCO

Meme King
How are you liking the new shocks on your rig?

I have been eyeing those and Ranchos. Have you tested them on on any washboard roads?

Catahoula, Since you've asked the question, I've paid particular attention to the shocks on washboard roads. They're great. They absorb the bumps well leaving the passenger area comfortable. I love these things. The only thing I've noticed is that they've softened up a little since I first put them on. So on wavy sections of pavement or drainage dips in town, there is a slight feeling of body roll (best words I can use to describe it). So they could be a little stiffer for a better feeling of stability I guess. But as far as a good onroad and offroad balance for comfort, they're great. FYI, on a JK with a frame, the 'body roll' symptom may not even be there.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Catahoula, Since you've asked the question, I've paid particular attention to the shocks on washboard roads. They're great. They absorb the bumps well leaving the passenger area comfortable. I love these things. The only thing I've noticed is that they've softened up a little since I first put them on. So on wavy sections of pavement or drainage dips in town, there is a slight feeling of body roll (best words I can use to describe it). So they could be a little stiffer for a better feeling of stability I guess. But as far as a good onroad and offroad balance for comfort, they're great. FYI, on a JK with a frame, the 'body roll' symptom may not even be there.

Thanks for the update and review brother! I was going to try some extensions for giggles since I picked some up before making the move to new shocks.

ESSAYONS12B

Nice build! I used to have a WJ I lifted with the same lift a few years ago. Ended up selling because I could not get rid of that damn DW. Great Build though man! Always loved that body style.

WJCO

Meme King
Nice build! I used to have a WJ I lifted with the same lift a few years ago. Ended up selling because I could not get rid of that damn DW. Great Build though man! Always loved that body style.

Thanks. Ours had it right after the lift too. I bought into the steering stabilizer snake oil and was convinced it was fixed. It came back. A few small fixes along the way too, but it ultimately ended up being a track bar bolt that appeared tight but was actually seized and not fully torquing down. When it got to the point of not tightening at all, it broke when I pulled it out. Ever since I replaced that bolt, smooth as can be.

Cool wj! My wife and I had one years ago, would have been a lot more fun like yours.

Thanks. My wife and I both agreed on this body style for a cheap trail rig. Not cheap with all the mods though, never is. Nice having solid axles for a unibody style.

WJCO

Meme King
For any WJ owner's out there who use their emergency brake and the light doesn't illuminate on the dash, here's a quick easy fix that doesn't cost any money and may be the problem. Ours has been like that sent we bought it. I didn't notice it until my wife drove home with the ebrake on and didn't realize it until she got home. I asked her if the light was on and she said no. Sure enough it wasn't.

All you have to do is remove your center console storage bucket, two Phillips screws. The ebrake assy is off to the right when you look inside there. With the ebrake up, there are two copper tabs that touch each other to close the circuit. Moisture, corrosion, fluid spills, dust, etc causes a poor connection. Use a tooth pick or screwdriver gently to clean the crap off. That's what I did this afternoon. Works like a charm now.

DSC03226.jpg

DSC03227.jpg

DSC03228.JPG

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

GraniteCrystal, Did your Chinaman row over here yet?

He did! Came in about a week ago. Look good and tie downs fit. Working on modifying the tie down hook slightly so it fits on the 1" tubing of my Gobi roof rack better. Then working on a clip-on system for the back of the Jeep for the sunglass cases plus other things. Will do a whole write up in build thread once it's done.

WJCO

Meme King
He did! Came in about a week ago. Look good and tie downs fit. Working on modifying the tie down hook slightly so it fits on the 1" tubing of my Gobi roof rack better. Then working on a clip-on system for the back of the Jeep for the sunglass cases plus other things. Will do a whole write up in build thread once it's done.

Sweet. Good to hear. If I decide to get a Rock hard cage, I'm gonna deck that thing out with some kind of full storage system.

Top Bottom