Ya, I know this is a dead horse, but I've still not decided

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I guess I need to clarify....I want the ability to return to stock if needed or go to a mild kit if I decide to give the Jeep to my daughter once she hits driving age.:)

Got it and, like I said, long arms are far from "needed". If you've never done an apples to apples comparison of 2 JK's with one having long arms and the other not, you wouldn't even know what you're missing as the one without will drive and handle just fine.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would love to just roll over to ORE and have them install a full setup, but Cali is too far for me. :(

There are shops in TX that I'm sure ORE could refer you to but then, TX is a BIGASS state and getting to a good shop might just be as far :crazyeyes:

That's interesting, I haven't noted that with mine. I hate to ask an obvious question but did they maybe come unseated at the top at some point and rotate out of the coil bucket "groove"? Just a thought.

No, they are seated in the center of the isolator on the top, it's the bottom that is a little loose.

Do you keep your 5th wheel on and do you have any aftermarket tire carrier or bumper? Reason I ask is because I keep my 5th at home for weight, just driving around town, and my rear end feels kind of flighty - almost like an unloaded pick up truck. Not sure if that was explained well, but the sensation is enough that it's made me consider upgrading to an adjustable shock so I can try and get a more solid feel out of the rear setup.

Just curious if you've felt anything similar.

I have a GenRight aluminum carrier and run bumperless with EVO d-ring mounts. I always carry a spare.

What you are describing sounds a bit like the roll-bump issue I was having with their rear track bar and bracket. I fixed this by removing it and running a shorter bracket with the stock bar. You can read more on this issue here -> http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?15777-Please-help-troubleshoot-odd-handling-after-lift

TheGrendel

I really wish I had found this website and read before buying my MC system a couple of weeks ago. Now, I am having some reservations about it. My buddy and I are installing this weekend.

I really never read anything bad on the other forums. But, as many of you have pointed out, no one wants to say anything bad after they just dropped a bunch of money. Oh well, I guess I live and learn.

gripenfelter

I really wish I had found this website and read before buying my MC system a couple of weeks ago. Now, I am having some reservations about it. My buddy and I are installing this weekend.

I really never read anything bad on the other forums. But, as many of you have pointed out, no one wants to say anything bad after they just dropped a bunch of money. Oh well, I guess I live and learn.

Why? MC has a good setup, its not like you wasted your money. I can find a thread on every kit out there with some sort of complaint. Rarely people say anything when everything is great and everyone has their opinions/preferences.

Last edited:

BChaffins

What setup did you get? MC is still a possibility in my list. I've still not decided.

Brian

Brian
2008 Sahara 2dr

TheGrendel

I got the dual rate arb and added the rear upper CAs. Starting the build this morning. Will take pics as I go.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I can find a thread on every kit out there with some sort of complaint.

I've been doing this a really long time and I rarely find that to be the case.

Rarely people say anything when everything is great

Don't get me wrong but, people rarely say anything bad about a lift kit that they just spent a good chunk of change on. To do that would be admitting that they made a mistake and I rarely find anyone willing to do that.

...and everyone has their opinions/preferences.

While this is true, those opinions/preferences are typically based on the kit they chose to buy - more times than not, the ONLY kit they've ever run. Just trying to put things into perspective.

JKWrang

I've been doing this a really long time and I rarely find that to be the case.

Don't get me wrong but, people rarely say anything bad about a lift kit that they just spent a good chunk of change on. To do that would be admitting that they made a mistake and I rarely find anyone willing to do that.

While this is true, those opinions/preferences are typically based on the kit they chose to buy - more times than not, the ONLY kit they've ever run. Just trying to put things into perspective.

All of this is true. While I do not feel I made a mistake on my kit, its also the only one ive actually run. The other kits ive driven (as in test driven) were for a short time predominately in a non hazardous environment aka on road, not trail. So for me this kit I have is perfecr and in all conditions ive driver it on I really enjoy the level of performance ive gotten.

However

I may just not know what I am missing in a more expensive kit. I HAVE run several light truck shocks from OEM chrysler to KYB to Bilsteins and I will say I am so happy with the Bilsteins by comparison. Again, this is anecdotal based on my own subjective opinion on the matter and not based on my plethora of experience.

I can say the same with tires - ive run Goodyear, BFG and Firestone brand and you couldnt PAY me to run a firestone ever again.

However

Our work trucks run BFG Long trail and these tires seem to have poor road wear on an Xterras front end and that anecdotal experience may steer me from BFG. Fortunatelt I know an Xterra is a poorly designed vehicle with a horrible wheel base and pitch issues - and those tires arent all that bad properly rotated.

See where im going with this?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I may just not know what I am missing in a more expensive kit. I HAVE run several light truck shocks from OEM chrysler to KYB to Bilsteins and I will say I am so happy with the Bilsteins by comparison. Again, this is anecdotal based on my own subjective opinion on the matter and not based on my plethora of experience.

As I always try to explain to people, MOST of your ride quality come from your coils - NOT your shocks. Otherwise, you're right, with a small lift, there's only so much you can do and really, spending more money than you need for one doesn't necessarily mean you will get a better ride. The taller you go, the more parts you'll want to correct things like geometry and that's where kits should get more expensive.

I can say the same with tires - ive run Goodyear, BFG and Firestone brand and you couldnt PAY me to run a firestone ever again.

However

Our work trucks run BFG Long trail and these tires seem to have poor road wear on an Xterras front end and that anecdotal experience may steer me from BFG. Fortunatelt I know an Xterra is a poorly designed vehicle with a horrible wheel base and pitch issues - and those tires arent all that bad properly rotated.

And, that's why I always say that an apples to apples comparison is what opinions should be based on. In other words, comparing the same size but different make tires on the same JK with the same lift, etc. will give you a better perspective as to what is working and what isn't.

See where im going with this?

See where I'm going with this?

madflyer72

I have basically read through every post on this topic but again still lost...

I don't need a four inch lift.. just looking for a simple 2.5in lift.

I was thinking Teraflex 2.5 with Belistein Shocks...

Looking for comfort, and judging by what people have written on here, this seems to be the best set up

Sharkey

Word Ninja

Looking for comfort, and judging by what people have written on here, this seems to be the best set up

Teraflex and comfort are not two words I would use together. Teraflex springs are very stiff, and tend to run very tall.

What size tires are you looking to run?

Last edited:

KingCopperhead

I run mopar coils (sourced from teraflex) and I'll tell you straight up that they are not soft at all. To ME they are comfortable, because I prefer a stiffer ride. I love them, but that's me.

To someone looking for a more plush experience I wouldn't recommend them.

Top Bottom