Yes you can pull a trailer with your JK Unlimited

Solar Dude

nice setup, seeing everyone's trailers makes me want to get one again.

what hitch/load distribution is that?

Reese SC, 600lbs tongue weight version. A little spendy but worth every penny, the first test was in a massive wind storm we're having and it handled like a champ. The best part is it only takes me a few minutes to take of the trundle bars to go off road.

jeeeep

Hooked
Reese SC, 600lbs tongue weight version. A little spendy but worth every penny, the first test was in a massive wind storm we're having and it handled like a champ. The best part is it only takes me a few minutes to take of the trundle bars to go off road.

There are some areas where I have to drive through that are always windy, nice to hear it can handle the wind :thumb:

zimm

Caught the Bug
I sooooooo want an RV to tow that will sleep me/wife/2 small boys. I looked at Aliners and didn't like the gaps and seams due to the design. The short ultralights seemed too big and heavy when you have 4 beds. I've been looking into the small fiberglass trailers like the Casita 16, Scamp 16, and Escape 17 all with the bunk bed options.

croge17

I sooooooo want an RV to tow that will sleep me/wife/2 small boys. I looked at Aliners and didn't like the gaps and seams due to the design. The short ultralights seemed too big and heavy when you have 4 beds. I've been looking into the small fiberglass trailers like the Casita 16, Scamp 16, and Escape 17 all with the bunk bed options.

Its just me and the wife so we went with a Starcraft 15rb but starft 16rb has front and rear hybrid beds as well as a dinette conversion all at slightly over 2000# dry. It would probably suit your needs just fine.

Brute

Hooked
photo.jpg

Mine is only 1500 lbs with a 63 qt arb fridge on slide, 22 gals water, 20 lb propane, James Baroud hardtop & gear...brake controller & maxi-hitch is a big help...but I am pulling it with a 5.7 hemi, so is a lot easier than a 3.6...

zimm

Caught the Bug
Mine is only 1500 lbs with a 63 qt arb fridge on slide, 22 gals water, 20 lb propane, James Baroud hardtop & gear...brake controller & maxi-hitch is a big help...but I am pulling it with a 5.7 hemi, so is a lot easier than a 3.6...

That's a sweet trailer. I just finished reading about it. If I get stationed in San Diego next- that might be the ticket to haul dirtbikes and go camping in the desert. How low can that tent rack go? Is that all the way down?

Brute

Hooked
That's a sweet trailer. I just finished reading about it. If I get stationed in San Diego next- that might be the ticket to haul dirtbikes and go camping in the desert. How low can that tent rack go? Is that all the way down?

It is in the lowest setting...but you could probably lower it more by taking it apart and do some cutting & drilling, but you would lose the ability to raise it higher. As it stands now, one person can raise it with the gas-assist struts to get more headroom when you deploy the awning, and puts the hardshell tent a little more out of bear reach...

Ddays

Hooked
This post has got the wife and I interested to start looking at small trailers. For guys towing with lifts, any concerns with squatting or handling issues to watch out for?
This will probably get me to get the Dynatrac big brake kit earlier than I had planned but that is probably a good thing.

Brute

Hooked
This post has got the wife and I interested to start looking at small trailers. For guys towing with lifts, any concerns with squatting or handling issues to watch out for?
This will probably get me to get the Dynatrac big brake kit earlier than I had planned but that is probably a good thing.

Having brakes on the trailer is a big help, especially on the trail...ditto with a larger trans cooler.

Solar Dude

towing with lift

I'm running a 2.5" AEV, I chose that lift because of the variable spring rate. It proved to be a perfect choice, with the load distribution hitch there is zero squat. When I take the bars off to travel off road the rear only squats 3/4".

Solar Dude

Zimm, we have 2 young kids too, 7 & 3. This is our 3rd RV trailer, the other 2 where much larger full hard sided trailers, we also had a Dodge 2500 as a tow vehicle. We sold the last big one in order to get a smaller trailer and tow vehicle, wanted to be able to do more adventuring without being limited by the large rig. While we almost got the Palimino 180 (hard side) with the bunk beds and off road kit we ultimately settled with the Rockwood Roo 17' hybrid. The quality seemed to be better and was speced nicer. My wife loves to cook, especially camping, the Roo has a 3 burner stove with a large over and a much larger fridge where the Palomino had a 2 burner, no oven and a small fridge, the Roo also had larger tanks. The Roo has 2 queen beds when popped out so plenty of room for us in one bed and the kids in the other. The hybrid set up might not be for everybody though, for places that get a lot of rain a full hard sided trailer might be better.

My 2 cents....

Solar Dude

Nice trailer. The wife and I have been eyeing something similar for awhile now.

Did you do any brake upgrades?

Not on the Jeep, the trailer does have brakes. If and when I smoke the brakes on the JK I will upgrade to vented and drilled rotors with high quality pads.

Ddays

Hooked
I'm running a 2.5" AEV, I chose that lift because of the variable spring rate. It proved to be a perfect choice, with the load distribution hitch there is zero squat. When I take the bars off to travel off road the rear only squats 3/4".

Having brakes on the trailer is a big help, especially on the trail...ditto with a larger trans cooler.

Thanks for the info. Lots to learn up on. Actually pretty cool as the wife is starting to look over my shoulder to see what's up on the trailer thread!
Gonna be empty nesters this Fall so this could be pretty damn fun!

Solar Dude

Another little tid bit I discovered, jeep recommends synthetic 85-140 in the rear diff if your doing a lot of towing.

CJW

Here's our set up below. Camper: Comet RT10. Jeep: 3" plush rides/King 2.5s, 37s and 4.88s. The trailer has brakes and I don't think the jeep needs upgraded brakes at all. Works great. The plush rides do squat a bit in the rear when loaded (see pic) but I'll be adding a weight distribution hitch soon to take care of that. Handles just fine.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1458663531.938849.jpg

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Nice, nice, nice set up. The load distributing hitch is really a big deal, especially on the super slab with heavy trucks and the turbulence they cause.:thumb::thumb:

TrailHunter

Hooked
Awesome thread! Do you guys get nervous that you may break something on the jeep after trailing at your destination... then can't tow home? ... I also have a family of 4... A 7 & 3 year old.... I really want this setup - JKU w/ a small trailer. I could tow with my crew cab diesel but it's way to big to trail with. Most places I go will be 3-6 hours away and towing a trailer (or not) could make someone worried about breaking far from home.... I'm sure the answer will be "don't drive like a jack-ass on the trails" ..... But was just curious of everyones thoughts (experience) on this. Thanks

Top Bottom