PDA

View Full Version : JEEP TRAIL OFFROAD GPS: What GPS is everyone running?

Pages : [1] 2

JandSJK
05-31-2012, 03:25 AM
In the next month or so i am going to upgrade my GPS. right now i'm using the garmin Nuvi 1390. I'd like to run a more trail/offroad friendly gps. that's non techy friendly

Torqt JK
05-31-2012, 03:42 AM
None yet but i'm definitely interested in the response you are going to get cuz im looking to purchase a gps soon as well

MTG
05-31-2012, 03:46 AM
Subscribed as well.

snopro
05-31-2012, 05:23 AM
Yeah I been curious on what some of the rigs are running. I sometimes see in videos a white GPS antennae similar to what I used to have on my fishing boat. Are people running Lowrance systems in their Jeeps?!?

Gunner
05-31-2012, 06:52 AM
Sorry for a dumb newbie question. Is the factory unit no good off road. I am looking at doing a 13 rubi and thought the high end unit handled that.

JandSJK
05-31-2012, 06:59 AM
Yeah I been curious on what some of the rigs are running. I sometimes see in videos a white GPS antennae similar to what I used to have on my fishing boat. Are people running Lowrance systems in their Jeeps?!?

I have seen people that are running the Lowrance Baja series unit but those are quite a bit out of my price range

snopro
05-31-2012, 12:26 PM
Sorry for a dumb newbie question. Is the factory unit no good off road. I am looking at doing a 13 rubi and thought the high end unit handled that.

I removed mine outta my Rubicon and sold it for more than a nice Aftermarket in dashGPS unit that uses my Garmin Lifetime Maps that I pay one time fee.

Indefatigable
05-31-2012, 01:34 PM
The Garmin GPSMAP 60 series is quite popular with me and my friends. Though the Garmin Montana looks to be the next step (future upgrade). Basically the same thing, but touch screen and way bigger display.

wayoflife
05-31-2012, 02:11 PM
on our old 2007, we are using the Jeep Trail Guide which is the same thing as the old Garmin Quest 2. it is slow and has a hard time picking up satalites but, when it's working, it's a great GPS. i only wish that garmin/jeep offered something similar but more up to date and faster.

on our 2012, i find that i use my iphone with gaia app more and more and have been quite happy with that.

Indefatigable
05-31-2012, 02:19 PM
http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?170785-Garmin-Montana&daysprune=365

A friend's write up as he upgraded from a 60 to Montana.

snopro
05-31-2012, 04:03 PM
on our old 2007, we are using the Jeep Trail Guide which is the same thing as the old Garmin Quest 2. it is slow and has a hard time picking up satalites but, when it's working, it's a great GPS. i only wish that garmin/jeep offered something similar but more up to date and faster.

on our 2012, i find that i use my iphone with gaia app more and more and have been quite happy with that.

I just downloaded GPS Kit HD app for my iPad and am going to try it out. My friend uses the iPhone version quite a bit in South Dakota trail riding.
I will have to check out the Gaia app as well
Just would be nice to have the Sirius weather package included on something as well

JKRay
05-31-2012, 07:37 PM
I use a Garmin nuvi 50 and love it. It really helps when in LA. :yup:

Chairokey
05-31-2012, 11:20 PM
I run google maps with iphone :)

Serg5000
06-01-2012, 12:43 AM

How does the app do when there is no cell signal?

snopro
06-01-2012, 12:46 AM

My iPad app you preload the map and works great !!!

Serg5000
06-01-2012, 01:14 AM
My iPad app you preload the map and works great !!!

Can it be preloaded on the iPhone like on the iPad?

snopro
06-01-2012, 01:15 AM
Can it be preloaded on the iPhone like on the iPad?

My friend has same program on his iPhone I don't see why not

wayoflife
06-01-2012, 02:33 AM

as mentioned, you can download maps of where you will be ahead of time and then just use the GPS on your iphone to do the rest.

Serg5000
06-01-2012, 03:03 AM
I was just reading the app details. And it's dloading as we speak. Thanks everyone for the heads up.

JandSJK
06-01-2012, 03:19 AM
just got a new phone too. sould like i should have got and iphone instead of the razor maxx:crazyeyes:
Does anyone know of a good andriod app

wayoflife
06-01-2012, 03:29 AM
just got a new phone too. sould like i should have got and iphone instead of the razor maxx:crazyeyes:
Does anyone know of a good andriod app

i'm pretty sure you can get gaia on an android too

Serg5000
07-14-2012, 04:40 AM
I have been trying to get it to work but no luck. I save tiles of the area I want but when I want to load it without wifi, it doesn't work.

TrailBear
07-14-2012, 06:00 AM
I run a garmin nuvi 550, decent price, decent unit, I'm trying a few I phone app gps but haven't found a good one yet, I also have a garmin 60cx, I prefur it over everything but the screen is to small for a vehicle unit.

JandSJK
07-14-2012, 09:28 AM
I downloaded the GAIA app and used it on our last trail run and just plotted the trail for our next run. I also bought the auto doc for my razr maxx. It seems to boost teh signal reception and i can also still use my camera on the phone. It trakes an pretty decent trail video.

Dave_g
01-12-2013, 04:40 AM
So I know my desert rat Buddy's down here in San Diego all have Lowrance GPS's or something similar. I was wondering what the crawling community thought about high end GPS mounted "for the co-pilot". My lady wants to get more involved with the off roading, may get a gps and move my CB to her side of the Jeep to include her more inside the cab...(working on her "spotting skills").

Gary Palms2Pines
01-12-2013, 04:49 AM
Great idea. My lady is our chief "navi-guesser". A word to the wise don't get mad at her if you get lost. It is a no win situation. 😄

TacPen
01-12-2013, 05:42 AM
I'm not super thrilled with any of the GPS units I've tried so far. My Garmin Nuvi with topo maps installed through BaseCamp (Garmin's free software) and custom trail tracks seems to be the best bet I've found so far. I like the big screen size and the ability to easily zoom and move the map around. BaseCamp allows you to create custom tracks which means you can use GoogleEarth to walk a route first and then lay track for the GPS. Mine aren't rout-able but the route goes out the window the first obstacle you hit anyway.

I've tried the Garmin Dakota and am sorely disappointed. The image is too small, not very visible in direct sunlight and just not that user friendly (you can figure it out, but it's not simple and you have to skip around the menu). Still keep it around as a back up though. It's small and easy to carry if you want to hike as well. Reception is pretty crappy though.

I'd like to try the Garmin Montana but a $500 experiment seems kind of pricey. I can do auto-mode routing as well as topo mapping so it should be the best of both worlds BUT at $500 you still have to get maps. Pricey.

I'm also a big fan of paper topo maps for backup.

ssgp2
01-12-2013, 06:12 AM
I would go for an IPad with GPS, for the $$$$ you get lots of convenience and versatility.

wayoflife
01-12-2013, 06:47 AM
I would go for an IPad with GPS, for the $$$$ you get lots of convenience and versatility.

Agreed. If you have a co-pilot willing to help out, I would recommend an iPad mini and run something like Gaia on it. Works great and is what we use. :yup:

OverlanderJK
01-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Agreed. If you have a co-pilot willing to help out, I would recommend an iPad mini and run something like Gaia on it. Works great and is what we use. :yup:

I will look into that one. There is another called GPS Kit (someone mentioned it in another thread).

I would do as others have said and go with the iPad. You can do more for cheaper or the same price.

catahoula
01-12-2013, 11:23 AM

I agree we have a 7" tablet and it is awesome. Our droid helps out as well. The best thing they are always updated.

Hatewagon
01-12-2013, 12:29 PM
We run a small hand held Garmin. Works great for our needs and is simple to use. Electronics and I dont get along so ive avoided getting a nice high end unit. My wife does all the navi work, she has some made skill with a map and a gps.

Holeshot
01-12-2013, 02:03 PM
The downside I see about using an Ipad or tablet, correct me if I'm wrong but does the gps fonction works only with internet connection? Never used one so I may be wrong.

Personnaly, I just had a garmin etrex20 for christmas, uploaded a detailed topo map, and I'll be good to go. I also do snowshoe trails and some hiking/hunting with the father. I'll get a mount to put it on the sport cage and it'll be just fine.

Skirmish
01-12-2013, 02:34 PM
I don't know if it is all versions but I know a friend of mine has an iPad with built in GPS. I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 specifically for satellite GPS. I was using Motionx on my iPhone but it relied on mobile service. It wasn't till after I bought the tablet that I realized there wasn't as good of a GPS app for droid.

I do think a tablet is the way to go for a copilot. She can use multiple apps that would keep her engaged in the trip. Tilt sensors might be fun, researching areas, maybe some geocaching stuff.

wayoflife
01-12-2013, 03:07 PM
The downside I see about using an Ipad or tablet, correct me if I'm wrong but does the gps fonction works only with internet connection? Never used one so I may be wrong.

Personnaly, I just had a garmin etrex20 for christmas, uploaded a detailed topo map, and I'll be good to go. I also do snowshoe trails and some hiking/hunting with the father. I'll get a mount to put it on the sport cage and it'll be just fine.

iPads and iPhones come with GPS's built into them. You can download waypoint and even track into a program like Gaia. You can then download maps of the area you will be in and then, when you're out on the trail without any service, you can still navigate just fine.

OverlanderJK
01-12-2013, 03:20 PM

iPads and iPhones come with GPS's built into them. You can download waypoint and even track into a program like Gaia. You can then download maps of the area you will be in and then, when you're out on the trail without any service, you can still navigate just fine.

Yup. Certain apps will still work fine without any service.

Holeshot
01-12-2013, 04:07 PM
sweet! Then I wonder if I could download my maps in my gf's iphone as a backup :D

I use garmin basecamp and touratech QV4 programs.

wayoflife
01-12-2013, 04:07 PM
sweet! Then I wonder if I could download my maps in my gf's iphone as a backup :D

I would :yup:

TacPen
01-12-2013, 05:04 PM
iPads and iPhones come with GPS's built into them.

Actually, only the 3G + WiFi iPad versions have Assisted GPS. The WiFi only versions use hotspot locations (assuming the hotspots have location information enabled) to get their "GPS" location and will not locate without an internet connection.

Assuming you have cell signal on the trail, you can tether to your phone and still locate through a WiFi only iPad.

wayoflife
01-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Actually, only the 3G + WiFi iPad versions have Assisted GPS. The WiFi only versions use hotspot locations (assuming the hotspots have location information enabled) to get their "GPS" location and will not locate without an internet connection.

Assuming you have cell signal on the trail, you can tether to your phone and still locate through a WiFi only iPad.

Too true and I should have clarified that. I guess I just assumed that everyone was running what I have :D

mcpuck
01-12-2013, 05:10 PM
I need to work on my co-pilot. She is more concerned with what is on Sirius and taking pictures. :doh:

cdl
01-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Eddie,

So on the Gaia app I can down load topo maps from the app before I leave on a trip and then track myself even after I loose service? Or do I have to upload the topo maps from somewhere else to the app?

Thx

wayoflife
01-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Eddie,

So on the Gaia app I can down load topo maps from the app before I leave on a trip and then track myself even after I loose service? Or do I have to upload the topo maps from somewhere else to the app?

Thx

You can download a designated area on the app while you still have wifi or reception. When you no longer have service, you can still see where you're at in that area. Does that make sense?

JeepinLife
01-13-2013, 10:46 PM
If you can find apps or software thats stand-alone and uses full maps you dont need service. Your can shut off data and still have map layover.

Holeshot
01-13-2013, 11:25 PM
There is some in-dash player that uses program like android and has built in gps. Forgot what brand :doh:

Dennis
06-24-2013, 10:51 AM
What type of GPS equipment is best suited, most used when running areas such as Moab. I own a 2010 Rubicon Unlimited which has the factory touch screen Nav system. Considering a hand held. Any thoughts, suggestions will be appreciated! Eddie your thoughts?

wayoflife
06-24-2013, 12:15 PM
I've run several different GPS units in the past but now only use an app on my iPad called Gaia. It works on an iPhone too.

jhires
06-24-2013, 01:29 PM
My wife and I take both her iphone and ipad with the ap Tremble Outdoors. It does require a bit of planning in advance though. You need to download the maps for the area you are going to be at in advance of losing cell service. The phone can record the gps track to share. She thinks the ipad ap can too, but not sure. Being able to track and plan on a topographic map is incredibly handy.

I haven't tried the previous ap mentioned, but will look into it.

Dennis
06-25-2013, 07:40 AM
Anyone else????

woody
06-28-2013, 02:26 AM
I use a GPS receiver called "DUAL" it interfaces via Bluetooth with virtually any display that accepts the Bluetooth signal. The 7" Nexus tablet is what I use but that's where preference of I've and mounting enter. The 7" tablet fits quite nice in my 2012 dash tray. A dedicated GPS receiver is much better (accurate/ faster)IMHO. I'd attend a couple of runs and look firsthand at what others are running, usually everyone is happy to discuss there choices. The mapping platform and it's ease of use is the real challenge. Thank goodness they're reasonable so you can change if you need different results.

BlackDiamondBound
06-28-2013, 04:29 PM
smart phone apps. I create off line maps of where im going and then use the gps on the phone.

Krieger
06-28-2013, 05:26 PM
Use an app like Eddie has one you can download the map so when you lose signal you can still use it.

Rccrwlr
07-11-2013, 04:32 AM
For a handheld unit I use the Garmin Etrex vista HCX

1979 Jeep CJ5 - rccrwlr
2008 Jeep JKUR - pheartmtngot

woody
07-16-2013, 12:29 AM
If you're using an IPad try Scenic Maps Western. It downloads and you have it all no need to download every time you change locations and it costs the exorbitant sum of $10

OverlanderJK
07-16-2013, 04:45 AM
If you're using an IPad try Scenic Maps Western. It downloads and you have it all no need to download every time you change locations and it costs the exorbitant sum of $10

Does it work without wifi or 3G or are they needed?

Ldogg
07-16-2013, 05:38 PM
I found this app last night called PDF Maps. It has all of the Colorado MVUM maps for free and the app is free. I have not had a chance to mess with it to much other then download the maps and view them cut appears it can overlay your gps location so it's like carrying the actual MVUM but with GPS points. Kinda cool. I looked at the Gaia app last night to, but wasn't sure if I could get those forest service maps uploaded.

Ldogg
07-16-2013, 05:44 PM
Here are some pics of the app. Runs on iPhone and iPad. The key is the maps, I'm not sure if they are available for your area or if they are free. For Colorado they are.

woody
07-17-2013, 03:02 AM
To answer your question after initial download its all on your machine , no further wi-fi or 3G needed which makes it stand alone and "trail rated" in my book. Check out the demo, only drawback is it's only for IPad

OverlanderJK
07-17-2013, 03:57 AM
To answer your question after initial download its all on your machine , no further wi-fi or 3G needed which makes it stand alone and "trail rated" in my book. Check out the demo, only drawback is it's only for IPad

I want it for my ipad anyway. :thumb:

Skid_Kid
07-29-2013, 03:03 AM
I have Gaia on my iPhone 5. Would adding the Garmin GLO be good then 4G/3G is not available?

rdreng
07-31-2013, 02:56 AM
I found this app last night called PDF Maps. It has all of the Colorado MVUM maps for free and the app is free. I have not had a chance to mess with it to much other then download the maps and view them cut appears it can overlay your gps location so it's like carrying the actual MVUM but with GPS points. Kinda cool. I looked at the Gaia app last night to, but wasn't sure if I could get those forest service maps uploaded.

Ldogg -

Thank you for posting this on PDF Maps. I downloaded the App to my phone tonight and am in the process of downloading the Ranger District maps for the San Juan Forest in Colorado. This looks like it will be a handy mapping tool for my upcoming trip to Durango, CO.

Its appreciated,
Alan

Ldogg
07-31-2013, 03:07 AM
No problem! It's a sweet app. I have been playing around with it more and found that you can input GPS coordinates to find waypoints and you can import and export the waypoints you create. So I have started mapping a bunch for the pikes peak ranger district on my iPad mini and then export/import onto my iPhone. I have color coded them to make it easy to find what i want to run on a certain day. Purple is paved road. Red, blue, green is standard color designations. I have not had a chance to use its built in GPS feature to show you where you are on the map but it looks promising and hey it's free!

Ldogg
07-31-2013, 03:14 AM
I have been using the funtreks book and traildamage to get my gps points for the trail heads.

rdreng
08-01-2013, 02:45 AM
I have been using the funtreks book and traildamage to get my gps points for the trail heads.

I have used the Funtreks "Guide to Colorado Backroads and 4WD Trails" the last couple of years. We do a lot of "exploring" with our Jeep (not rock crawling).

The built-in Nav system in the Jeep is not very useful when exploring trails. It is difficult get a big picture with it. When I zoom out, most of the trails disappear from the screen. Zoom-in to see the trail your on and you loose the big picture.

So I needed something different and it looks as if the PDF_Maps app you have posted might just do the trick (for Colorado Forests at least). I have downloaded all the MVUM district maps for the San Juan National Forest, the Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre, and Gunnison National Forests, and the Rio Grande National Forest.

I'll load the coodinates provided by the Funtrek book into each of the maps as you have shown above. The iPhone 5 screen is a little small. Looks like I may need to buy an iPad as you have shown in your pictures above.

Is Trail Damage a website or book?

Ldogg
08-01-2013, 03:18 AM
Traildamage is a website that has tons of Colorado trails listed, and has pictures and sometimes videos of trails. It's a great resource. I will post some screen caps from my iPad mini tonight so you can get a good idea of the size of what you see. It is by far alot easier to use vs my iPhone, and you can export and import between them which is handy for sure.

Ldogg
08-01-2013, 03:50 AM
As you can see, iPad mini makes it much easier to see.

Fragsrus
01-19-2014, 08:19 PM
Can anyone suggest a good Android GPS app for while out on the trails? Something that can read the .TPO files from sites such as nwjeepn.com. Right now I am using a free app called GPS Essentials, but it is fairly limited on options.

Heholua
01-19-2014, 09:06 PM
Can anyone suggest a good Android GPS app for while out on the trails? Something that can read the .TPO files from sites such as nwjeepn.com. Right now I am using a free app called GPS Essentials, but it is fairly limited on options.

From the research I've been doing, the apps that are recommended are Backcountry Pro and CoPilot. I purchased a Nexus 7 today for this purpose.

WhiteDynamite
01-19-2014, 09:24 PM
I use Gaia on my iPad. I believe they have an Andriod version as well. It's great. They have a cloud service that syncs your routes and waypoints to all your devices and online. If your anal like me, you can go online and access your stuff and edit names, locations and whatever else you want.

Heholua
01-19-2014, 09:27 PM
I use Gaia on my iPad. I believe they have an Andriod version as well. It's great. They have a cloud service that syncs your routes and waypoints to all your devices and online. If your anal like me, you can go online and access your stuff and edit names, locations and whatever else you want.

Thanks!! I will check it out.

Fragsrus
01-19-2014, 10:19 PM
I just checked out CoPilot, the free version, and I cannot see where it will allow me to use the .tpo files from nwjeepn.com. I do like the idea that it pre-downloads the maps for offline use though. From what I read the only thing you get with the paid version is turn-by-turn voice nav and some other frivolous nav features. I may try out Backcountry Pro closer to the summer when we go out again since it has a 21 day trial period. Gaia also seems like a good contender, but without any kind of trial I am hesitant to make a purchase just yet.

ziggy
01-28-2014, 01:51 AM
I have an app for my iphone (not sure if they have it for Android) called GPS KIT. I have attached a few screen shots of it. To date this is the best APP I have found for when you go out backcountry wheeling or just out for a little drive. It lets you download the GPS waypoint and GPX files from traildamage and import them right into the app.

This is a shot of what the trail track would look like once you import it. The pins are waypoints that you can download also for challenges on the trail.

This is a zoomed out shot showing multiple trail tracks that I have imported and shows you the green triangle (you) in reference to your location using the gps function of your phone. It will track in real time once you start moving.

This is a photo of how the tracks are stored on the app.

A move zoomed in shot of a trail track. Once you are at the trailhead the green triangle will trace the track. All you have to do is follow the track. I have not gotten turned around once using this app.

I have changed mine from using the regular GPS coordinates to using the MGRS system that I am more familiar with. It will also display your elevation, speed, distance, etc.

Great app, very detailed and you can download the maps for offline viewing when you will be out of cell tower range. Your GPS will still track if you go out of coverage. Hope this helps you guys.

crippledpetey
01-28-2014, 01:57 AM

X2! :thumb:

Armydog
01-28-2014, 02:32 AM
I use the GridNav2 app on my iPad. But use it to reference back to a MGRS map. Old school I guess but I'm an old dog....

NFRs2000NYC
01-28-2014, 03:34 AM

This. From what I gather, Gaia is the benchmark. I use it on my iphone and it has been great.

Turbostevey
01-28-2014, 03:36 AM
I have Gaia as well, and it worked wonderfully until the lasted update. Since then has not even started. Continues to crash.

Sent from my HTCONE using WAYALIFE mobile app

chaseit1
02-12-2014, 12:13 AM
Well after going to King of the Hammers this last week as a volunteer and not being extremely familiar with trail locations,I was wondering if there are any GPS programs or apps that would yield the ability to navigate in open offroad terrain. If anyone has input I would greatly appreciate the feedback.

OverlanderJK
02-12-2014, 12:17 AM
Welcome to wayalife! :standing wave:

chaseit1
02-12-2014, 12:20 AM
Welcome to wayalife! :standing wave:
Thanks! Been here a while, try to listen and learn more than talk but this is a question I had to ask.

GuillaumeC91
02-12-2014, 04:34 AM
This seems like a really good app. I haven't used it much to be honest, but there is a free trial version.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.crittermap.backcountrynavigator

Don't follow me, I'm lost too! O|||||||O

crowrb29
02-12-2014, 04:37 AM
FWIW I have gotten pretty accurate navigation from google maps when I type in the Lats and Longs of where I'm trying to go.

LoPo
02-12-2014, 05:10 AM
Try Maverick. I Like it better than back country. Free version allows offline maps.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.codesector.maverick.lite

jhires
02-12-2014, 02:24 PM
I have both Trimble and Gaia GPS on my iphone and ipad. A quick look shows them both available for Android.
I like the idea that Trimble has for downloading maps by county.
But I like features of Gaia GPS where it will orient the map for which direction you are driving. I haven't used it enough to need any offline maps yet so not sure how that works, but it does have the capability.

Both cost money to download (at least last time I downloaded them) and both have some sort of "premium" access you pay extra for.

Jesse

Road_king
02-12-2014, 10:30 PM
I use Gaia on our iPad - love it. Most of the people in one club we belong - more than 400. - have android tablets and use Backcounty Navigator.

BlackDiamondBound
02-12-2014, 10:52 PM
Backcounty Navigator x3

chaseit1
02-13-2014, 03:36 AM
Thanks all for the input I'll definately take a look at all of these...

snowvegas
02-13-2014, 03:51 AM
Backcountry navigator

Sent from my SCH-I605 using WAYALIFE mobile app

MAMUT
02-13-2014, 05:17 AM
Backcountry navigator

This is a good one, I use it myself

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

bmwegr
02-13-2014, 05:45 AM
I use Gaia GPS on my android. The entire app was recently updated and is working really nice. Simple to create waypoints, record tracks and even export them as *.gpx files. It even imports *.gpx files which may include tracks, routes and waypoints. My favorite part is being able to download all map data so I can be off the grid and still have a functioning GPS.

Hope this helps. The app developer also has excellent support!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Serg5000
03-12-2014, 10:54 PM
I've run several different GPS units in the past but now only use an app on my iPad called Gaia. It works on an iPhone too.Do you know if you can add coordinates to this app? I use it very little. I have looked but can't seem to find where to input the coords I would like.

ttfhell
03-12-2014, 11:32 PM
Do you know if you can add coordinates to this app? I use it very little. I have looked but can't seem to find where to input the coords I would like.

Look for the magnifying glass icon. 73435

Serg5000
03-12-2014, 11:50 PM
I tried that and it did not work.

OverlanderJK
03-13-2014, 01:47 AM
I tried that and it did not work.

Type in the coordinate, click search, click the pin with the plus sign, drop pin and it'll be there.

Serg5000
03-13-2014, 02:22 AM
Here is the format I'm using and not getting any results. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/13/esugadap.jpg

Serg5000
03-13-2014, 02:29 AM
I got it. Thanks for the help.

Jkzinger
03-20-2014, 12:25 AM
For you guys using Gaia, have you found any of the Moab trails available to load into Gaia?

thardy
06-29-2014, 06:30 PM
What type of devices do you guys use for navigation on trails? I've tried using various apps on my phone but I tend to completely lose service on most of the trails we run in North GA. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

ramin
06-29-2014, 06:35 PM
What type of devices do you guys use for navigation on trails? I've tried using various apps on my phone but I tend to completely lose service on most of the trails we run in North GA. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have been using Gaia Gps
app on a mini ipad . Works pretty good :)

jeeeep
07-11-2014, 10:14 PM
What GPS trail/ road maps does everyone use for android? I received a Bluetooth GPS that I would like to use without having to buy and iPad

olram30
07-11-2014, 10:56 PM
i use back country navigator and download the areas im going to be at. the pro version was 10 bucks.

OverlanderJK
07-11-2014, 11:02 PM
If you have an android you don't need an external GPS. Your phone has a GPS in it so all you need is an app that runs on saved data and doesn't need wifi.

pvanweelden
07-11-2014, 11:44 PM
X2 back country

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

dannymalkin
07-11-2014, 11:49 PM
Definitely back country pro, love how you can download maps and use them with no service.

jeeeep
07-13-2014, 04:52 AM
That's what I was looking for, thanks!

Brankz
07-13-2014, 05:34 AM
iPhone has the back country app? Cause I can't find it

TheDuff
07-13-2014, 05:38 AM
Gaia GPS is on both platforms.

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Marauder
07-13-2014, 07:30 AM

No bro. As far as I know it's only supported by android platforms.
I run a nexus 7 with backcountry navigator on a roll bar mount. The phone was just to dang small for me to see on the dash.

The thing I don't like about Gaia is that they make you pay an ongoing service fee just to use shaded topo maps.

BBrown626
07-14-2014, 01:05 AM

I use GPS Kit on iPhone. It works great. I think it is $10.

Brankz
07-14-2014, 01:11 AM
I use GPS Kit on iPhone. It works great. I think it is $10.

GPS kit is the name Of the app?

jeeeep
07-14-2014, 08:25 PM
another ipad/ iphone only app is scenicmap
but I wanted something that works on less expensive devices, back country is working great so far

SaddleTramp
07-14-2014, 09:10 PM
GPS kit is the name Of the app?

Yes.

sitruc
07-14-2014, 10:17 PM
PDF Maps is another good app for both IOS & Android.

SmokinV10
08-11-2014, 04:18 AM
Have any of you experimented with high end stand alone GPS systems for offroad purposes (bread crumbs, big screen, high accuracy)? I'm not talking about the 430/730 that comes with the rig but something along the lines of a Lowrance hds 5 or 10? Is it worth it? Impractical?

OverlanderJK
08-11-2014, 04:49 AM
Have any of you experimented with high end stand alone GPS systems for offroad purposes (bread crumbs, big screen, high accuracy)? I'm not talking about the 430/730 that comes with the rig but something along the lines of a Lowrance hds 5 or 10? Is it worth it? Impractical?

How much do you wheel in places you have no clue where you are or no clue how to get out? How often do you prerun for baja or trophy trucks?

You don't? No not worth it. But if you want to drop another $1500 on something you won't use, go for it! Friend of mine has one and I want to mess around with it but haven't yet.

SmokinV10
08-11-2014, 05:03 AM
How much do you wheel in places you have no clue where you are or no clue how to get out? How often do you prerun for baja or trophy trucks?

You don't? No not worth it. But if you want to drop another $1500 on something you won't use, go for it! Friend of mine has one and I want to mess around with it but haven't yet.

I have a distant "friend" who "preruns" in his thousand acre ranches in west tx who asked me tonight if I wanted l his slightly used lowrance hds5 to upgrade to a 10. Never even considered getting one of these but it's a darn good price...$300. I think the hds 10 goes for what you're saying, but I was inquiring on how usable they really are or would this just an annoying useless electronic screen sitting in my rig.

StrizzyChris
08-11-2014, 05:06 AM
That's one hell of a price....might as well buy it and play with it. Worse case scenario, you sell it for more than you bought it for later! :thumb:

ttfhell
08-11-2014, 05:17 AM

If you wheel with Overlander when he leads then yes you need one. You've already dropped over $40k into your current build, buy the Lowrance and do it right. 95203

10frank9
08-11-2014, 05:40 AM
If you wheel with Overlander when he leads then yes you need one. You've already dropped over $40k into your current build, buy the Lowrance and do it right. 95203

BaaaaaaBam! :yup:

Sharkey
08-11-2014, 05:51 AM

I don't get it. You need a passenger to read it but if you have a passenger and the airbag goes off in an accident, your GPS will be implanted in their skull.

David1tontj
08-11-2014, 05:55 AM
I don't get it. You need a passenger to read it but if you have a passenger and the airbag goes off in an accident, your GPS will be implanted in their skull.

That wouldn't feel good.
I would pull the airbag... I pulled my airbag because my daughter rides shotgun in her car seat.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

ridg3runner
08-11-2014, 05:57 AM
That wouldn't feel good.
I would pull the airbag... I pulled my airbag because my daughter rides shotgun in her car seat.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

When I pull on my airbag she gets pissed..Just saying, lol.

OverlanderJK
08-11-2014, 05:58 AM

Wtf? Why do I bring my jeep anywhere if you have all the cool stuff in yours?

SDG
08-11-2014, 06:19 AM

Nice CD player....

SDG
08-11-2014, 06:23 AM

Thats their punishment for being a shitty navigator?

David1tontj
08-11-2014, 06:36 AM
Thats their punishment for being a shitty navigator?

Haha. So true!!

**winning👍

ScubaSteve
08-11-2014, 08:05 AM

Airbag is disabled. 8 1/2 inch screen is easy to see/use from Drivers seat.

SmokinV10
08-11-2014, 12:41 PM

Carolina Metal Masters makes this for an iPad mount. Was thinking it would work for the gps.

RickyI
08-11-2014, 03:56 PM

Carolina Metal Masters makes this for an iPad mount. Was thinking it would work for the gps.

I like that system......nice mount...

Ricky

SmokinV10
08-11-2014, 04:21 PM

Did you have that mount custom made?

ttfhell
08-11-2014, 04:31 PM
Did you have that mount custom made?It's not mine as I'm still rocking the iPad with the Gaia App but the mount was custom made my the stereo shop that installed the system.

OverlanderJK
08-11-2014, 05:03 PM
Airbag is disabled. 8 1/2 inch screen is easy to see/use from Drivers seat.

Have you learned how to use it yet? :bleh:

ttfhell
08-11-2014, 05:30 PM
Have you learned how to use it yet? :bleh:Dog is his co-pilot.

ScubaSteve
08-11-2014, 06:14 PM
Have you learned how to use it yet? :bleh:

Lol... finally got charts for it. It's easy to use.

These are the charts I'm running:
http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/Mapping/TOPO-Insight-PRO-West-v14-en-us.aspx

Gadget
08-20-2014, 03:03 PM
I am looking for GPS program for my iPad that doesn't require Internet or cellular connection, any recommendations?

ttfhell
08-20-2014, 03:09 PM
I am looking for GPS program for my iPad that doesn't require Internet or cellular connection, any recommendations?a lot of us use Gaia.

chris h.
08-20-2014, 03:33 PM
I'm assuming you need a 3G iPad?

Gadget
08-20-2014, 03:41 PM
I have an iPad mini and a bad elf GPS receiver, what I am looking for is a street map program to go with it.

Benny
08-20-2014, 04:43 PM
I use an app call "you need a map". It was free when I downloaded it and it works great. It is a huge app but it has all the offroad topo info. It is not a turn by turn GPS but it will tell you were you are when offline.

ssgp2
08-20-2014, 04:47 PM
I use three because I found that depending of the region I'm traveling, the maps available are not the same resolution.

Gaia, GPS kit HD, Backpacker.

Tom Tom for urban area

spicoli
10-02-2014, 08:24 PM
I'm going to be purchasing or ordering a new 2015 Wrangler here very soon. Around town and road trips I just use my phone for GPS and wouldn't pay for Jeep NAV system to have it built into my dash. But I am curious if it can be used for off-roading navigation (when you don't have cell service) or if there is software that can be loaded onto it for off-road trail navigation.
I am more of an exhibitionist than a rock crawler, so often I come to forks in the road and I have to pull out my big old red map to figure out which way I need to go.
Also I don't know if there is a topo option or if it is always the 5 feet off the ground view that those non-built into the dash units always have. I prefer topo maps.

Thanks in advance for your input and advice.

Speeddmn
10-02-2014, 09:33 PM
Don't know if anything has changed from 2010 till now for the NAV. I have it on my Rubicon and minus the fact it's a PITA to put in a address, the actual map is decent. No TOPO for it, but it does give elevation and lat/long for coordinates. If I were to do it again, I'd still get it just for the function of the rest of the radio itself.

olram30
10-02-2014, 09:42 PM
My maps are outdated on my jeep. I get that message. Last I heard, it costs a pretty penny to update. Now I use my cell phone with back country navigator when out in the mountains.

spicoli
10-02-2014, 10:05 PM
My maps are outdated on my jeep. I get that message. Last I heard, it costs a pretty penny to update. Now I use my cell phone with back country navigator when out in the mountains.

Is there an app you have used and like? I tried one and wasn't a big fan of it. There are so many GPS programs out there, I don't want to buy more without hearing from someone who uses it for offroading.

olram30
10-02-2014, 10:08 PM
Is there an app you have used and like? I tried one and wasn't a big fan of it. There are so many GPS programs out there, I don't want to buy more without hearing from someone who uses it for offroading.

I use back country navigator. I paid 10 bucks for the pro version.

Tree Frog
10-03-2014, 04:48 AM
Here is my take for what it is worth;
I got the 430N in my 2013 Rubicon and I think it is a freaking joke. Yeah it works fine on the street/ highway, (not cellular based either) but for most places my S-4 with navigator will do just fine.
What I got it for was the boonies. I would have thought that being a Garmin I could at least get topo.'s and such on it. Nope! In fact a lot of the logging roads we run on are not even on it at all. It just shows the Jeep icon with a blank background.
The color scheme is terrible no matter if you set it for daytime or night. it is a off yellow color and the Forest service/ BLM roads it does show are just a slightly darker off yellow color.

There should be a much higher contrast option. There should be a Topo mode, even if I had to purchase the 100 dollar chip like my Garmin handheld.

I have looked around and I know there are better Off Road GPS systems out there but they are very expensive (at least the ones I have seen.) However this 430N was not cheap either.

Now I really don't think I can live without Sirius/ XM. I even got the version where I can listen to it on my phone and computer. I use it all day at work.
After having it I can not stand to listen to FM any more.

Personally I think Jeep and Garmin could have done a lot better.

I keep hoping somebody will learn how to hack it so we can upload topos and sync. them to work. I know it can be done but you have to be a lot smarter than I am.
I will pay good money for this option. Any takers?

Also note that the Bluetooth part of this thing barely works at all. I have had it in to the dealer and talked with Uconnect and all I got was pissed off. Between the dealer and Uconnect I don't know who is a bigger dumbass. I can buy a 23 dollar POS Bluetooth module from Wal-Mart that works fine, but this Uconnect thing is trash. :naw:

jhires
10-03-2014, 05:22 PM
I have the 730n in my JKUR, my wife has the 430n in hers. the 730n is far better than the 430n. Having said that, either one is pretty useless when exploring off main roads.

I use an iPad Mini attached to a Ram Mount off the grab bar running Gaia GPS. I make sure I have the maps for the area I will be in before I go out. It's a pain, but the only way to insure I have the maps when I lose cell signal. It's a pain, but the maps are great.

Sessoms14X
10-03-2014, 05:30 PM
Also note that the Bluetooth part of this thing barely works at all. I have had it in to the dealer and talked with Uconnect and all I got was pissed off. Between the dealer and Uconnect I don't know who is a bigger dumbass. I can buy a 23 dollar POS Bluetooth module from Wal-Mart that works fine, but this Uconnect thing is trash. :naw:

I hear ya on that, I can't even keep a call unless I dial it on my phone. If I have the uconnect call someone it will hang up after a few rings but I look at my phone and the call is still going through. I don't even bother with uconnect anymore

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

spicoli
10-03-2014, 05:35 PM
My only concern w/ Uconnect is to be able to play music off my phone. I'm a pretty simple person when it comes to technology. I usually keep it as simple as I can because that way there is less to go wrong, and therefore should be more reliable. K.I.S.S.

rich67
10-09-2014, 02:45 PM
I use a Garmin Oregon handheld I picked up for $80 and free topo maps off http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ . I just need a good mounting option for it. I use the DC and USB hookup and it works perfectly, but the dang thing is just so oddly shaped it doesn't sit properly anywhere on the console...lol

Wardell
10-09-2014, 03:11 PM
I've been using an Android app called GPS Essentials on my phone. It's one of the few out there that has options for MGRS for coordinates and Mils for bearings, both of which I use at work. It basically does everything a handheld GPS can do as far as waypoints, tracks, etc. Map wise, there are a few options, but I usually just use google's satellite or topo on it - provided I have cell reception that is. That's the only catch with not having a preloaded map. But, I also have a little Garmin hand held that I use most of the time when I'm on foot anyway.

I'm suprised that you can't put Garmin's topo on a 430n though, since it basically uses the same nav program as their other dash mounted GPS units, and I think they can all run the topo maps fine. I may have to do some playing with mine to see if there is a way to transfer it over and get it to display... right after I get a new topo disk anyway, the one I have is a couple years old.

ScubaSteve
10-09-2014, 04:12 PM
I'm going to be purchasing or ordering a new 2015 Wrangler here very soon. Around town and road trips I just use my phone for GPS and wouldn't pay for Jeep NAV system to have it built into my dash. But I am curious if it can be used for off-roading navigation (when you don't have cell service) or if there is software that can be loaded onto it for off-road trail navigation.
I am more of an exhibitionist than a rock crawler, so often I come to forks in the road and I have to pull out my big old red map to figure out which way I need to go.
Also I don't know if there is a topo option or if it is always the 5 feet off the ground view that those non-built into the dash units always have. I prefer topo maps.

Thanks in advance for your input and advice.

iPad with Gaia works well.

I prefer standalone GPS so you aren't dependent on cell / data signals. Don't have to mess with downloading maps. Most Topo maps cover large regions of the US. Garmin Montana handheld is pretty cool if you have multiple uses for your gps. Works well in Jeep, motorbikes, hiking, boating and costs $5-$600. If you want a standalone unit for the Jeep Lowrance makes the HDS-5 for about $500. I personally have the HDS-8 because I got a good deal on a used unit, otherwise I would have gotten the 5. It really comes down to personal preference... Hope this helps.

JaySC
10-09-2014, 05:43 PM
I have the 730n in my JKUR, my wife has the 430n in hers. the 730n is far better than the 430n. Having said that, either one is pretty useless when exploring off main roads.

I use an iPad Mini attached to a Ram Mount off the grab bar running Gaia GPS. I make sure I have the maps for the area I will be in before I go out. It's a pain, but the only way to insure I have the maps when I lose cell signal. It's a pain, but the maps are great.

I have a similar set up to yours...unfortunately, I'm not as tech savvy so I'm still trying to figure out how to use GAIA in areas where there is no reception. Question for ya, how fast/slow does your ipad mini take to load a map or to transition from one area of the map to another? Mine seems to take forever, and I could have already driven to Russia before the screen finishes loading. :icon_crazy:

2011jk
10-09-2014, 06:36 PM
iPad with Gaia works well.

I prefer standalone GPS so you aren't dependent on cell / data signals. Don't have to mess with downloading maps. Most Topo maps cover large regions of the US. Garmin Montana handheld is pretty cool if you have multiple uses for your gps. Works well in Jeep, motorbikes, hiking, boating and costs $5-$600. If you want a standalone unit for the Jeep Lowrance makes the HDS-5 for about $500. I personally have the HDS-8 because I got a good deal on a used unit, otherwise I would have gotten the 5. It really comes down to personal preference... Hope this helps.

Pictures of how its mounted..

SmokinV10
10-09-2014, 07:27 PM
I have a Lowrance HDS5 that I picked up used a few weeks ago. I haven't turned it on or mounted it since the most logical place to put it seems to be the passenger grab bar. I just don't want the unit implanted in the passenger's face if the airbag were to deploy.

jhires
10-09-2014, 07:53 PM
I have a similar set up to yours...unfortunately, I'm not as tech savvy so I'm still trying to figure out how to use GAIA in areas where there is no reception. Question for ya, how fast/slow does your ipad mini take to load a map or to transition from one area of the map to another? Mine seems to take forever, and I could have already driven to Russia before the screen finishes loading. :icon_crazy:

It does "ok". When I know the area I want to be in, I jump through the hoops of either downloading a map area, or using the option to download maps for a specific track. I use both the website on my desktop and the ipad to do this. Once I've done that, I go first explore the map to see how much of the data is there, then to test it, I put it in airplane mode and do the same again.

I've only had a couple of instances where I outran the map loading,and once I have it set on a specific map layer, I leave it there. but usually I'm not going fast enough to do that.
I've also had it crash on me a few times.

Jesse

JaySC
10-09-2014, 08:09 PM
It does "ok". When I know the area I want to be in, I jump through the hoops of either downloading a map area, or using the option to download maps for a specific track. I use both the website on my desktop and the ipad to do this. Once I've done that, I go first explore the map to see how much of the data is there, then to test it, I put it in airplane mode and do the same again.

I've only had a couple of instances where I outran the map loading,and once I have it set on a specific map layer, I leave it there. but usually I'm not going fast enough to do that.
I've also had it crash on me a few times.

Jesse

Thanks for the info Jesse.

olram30
10-09-2014, 08:11 PM
I have a Lowrance HDS5 that I picked up used a few weeks ago. I haven't turned it on or mounted it since the most logical place to put it seems to be the passenger grab bar. I just don't want the unit implanted in the passenger's face if the airbag were to deploy.

give you a $100 bucks for it.

SmokinV10
10-09-2014, 08:14 PM

I love good deals like this.

JAGS
10-09-2014, 08:27 PM

Why do you need nav? Get lost on the way to work....or maybe the roads to your new house aren't finished yet??? ;):cheesy:

You seriously need to get that thing offroad dude. Those shocks won't flex themselves ya know. :crazyeyes:

OverlanderJK
10-09-2014, 08:29 PM

I'll give you the $300 you paid for it.

ScubaSteve
10-09-2014, 11:36 PM
Pictures of how its mounted..

Custom brackets use same grab handle holes. Disabled airbag. Easy to see & use from drivers seat.

SmokinV10
10-10-2014, 12:35 AM
Why do you need nav? Get lost on the way to work....or maybe the roads to your new house aren't finished yet??? ;):cheesy:

You seriously need to get that thing offroad dude. Those shocks won't flex themselves ya know. :crazyeyes:

Sheeeeeit..... Finally have a few free days and I'm headed out this weekend.

I honestly don't need my Lowrance. I just got it because it was "jeep bling" and it was so ridiculously inexpensive.

I'll give you the $300 you paid for it.

Paid less than $200 when it was all said and done.

OverlanderJK
10-10-2014, 02:20 AM

I honestly don't need my Lowrance. I just got it because it was "jeep bling" and it was so ridiculously inexpensive.

So I'll give you $250 plus shipping. Pure profit.

David1tontj
10-10-2014, 02:33 AM

So I'll give you $250 plus shipping. Pure profit.

I'm in for 251!

ScubaSteve
10-10-2014, 04:10 AM

You can load street maps on it...

SmokinV10
10-10-2014, 05:45 AM
I'm in for 251!

All cynicism aside I am going to install this thing. Im just not going to have time to do a nice install until mid November.
New plan is to butcher the factory glove box door and glass my CB, VHF, and Lowrance into a custom panel. For parts I am missing the gps antenna but have the Eastern U.S. topo maps already. Just won't have time for a tedious electrical/fiberglass/bondo/vinyl project until the house is closed and the move is done.

Marauder
10-10-2014, 06:46 AM
All cynicism aside I am going to install this thing. Im just not going to have time to do a nice install until mid November.
New plan is to butcher the factory glove box door and glass my CB, VHF, and Lowrance into a custom panel. For parts I am missing the gps antenna but have the Eastern U.S. topo maps already. Just won't have time for a tedious electrical/fiberglass/bondo/vinyl project until the house is closed and the move is done.

Why not just mount it on the roll bar cross brace or in the little area on the center or the dash?

I have a nexus 7 running backcountry navigator mid dash attached to my roll bar cross brace with a ram mount. Love it!

SmokinV10
10-10-2014, 07:04 AM
Why not just mount it on the roll bar cross brace or in the little area on the center or the dash?

I have a nexus 7 running backcountry navigator mid dash attached to my roll bar cross brace with a ram mount. Love it!

I guess I thought it would be too damned big to be sitting up there all the time. I'll need to toss it up there and give it another look but it's s lot bigger than a nexus 7.

SoK66
10-11-2014, 12:11 AM

Cool idea! I've been using a Garmin for most things, but the trails are pretty hit & miss no matter how much you update. Looked at finding one of the Chrysler RER (?) spec heads as a replacement for the unit in my '09, but figured the maps would be even more basic. Looks like you've found a better way.

Jombo
10-11-2014, 03:55 AM
I use an android app called back country navigator pro. Has a good selection of free map sources and works great.

2011jk
10-12-2014, 06:13 PM
Custom brackets use same grab handle holes. Disabled airbag. Easy to see & use from drivers seat.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Off Pavement
12-18-2014, 04:34 PM
I've been using a laptop with DeLorme Topo 6.0 for years with no problems for my back country navigation needs, except the laptop on it's RAM mount is always in the way when my co-pilot is with me. It's an XP machine and takes forever to get booted up and connected to the GPS receiver too. Additionally, the ToughBook lap top is pretty heavy and I think the Ram mount will eventually fail if I continue using it off road. I started looking into GPS enabled tablets and that search got me to thinking the Ipad 3 with a separate bluetooth GPS receiver, would be the cats meow for my middle of nowhere explorations.

Anybody using this sort of hardware arrangement, and what apps would you suggest for back country exploring?

wayoflife
12-18-2014, 04:39 PM
Gaia. Hands down the BEST GPS app for your iPad.

TheDuff
12-18-2014, 04:39 PM
Gaia GPS app is pretty good and only a few bucks. Can't tell you how it compares to others, as it's the only GPS app I've tried, but it's done everything I've wanted.

el_chupo_
12-18-2014, 11:05 PM
How necessary is the separate GPS receiver? Havent tried running the ipad GPS when out of cell service, but that may be a needed item if that is handled with the separate BT receiver.

Off Pavement
12-19-2014, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the response. From my research, it seems folks that run in remote areas are much happier with a separate GPS receiver.

For the Gaia app, is it capable of stitching topo maps together, or do you need to reload a different map each time you cross a map border?

MTG
12-19-2014, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the response. From my research, it seems folks that run in remote areas are much happier with a separate GPS receiver.

For the Gaia app, is it capable of stitching topo maps together, or do you need to reload a different map each time you cross a map border?

Nothing is that remote in the US. As for Gaia, you download the map of the area you plan to travel in before you go. At least that is what I've done with it. It works great!

Krieger
12-19-2014, 02:11 AM
I use the Gaia GPS app too. Hands down winner winner chicken dinner. I also use the Garmin GLO with it, it's a GPS that connects to your iPad using using Bluetooth. I think I paid around $100 for it. It's really helpful with location accuracy when you're in more remote areas.

ssgp2
12-19-2014, 02:20 AM
Never felt like I needed an external GPS receiver.
GPS kit HD with Google Hybrid for me.

The satellite maps a very accurate.

But I also have a couple of other Apps so I can compare what maps/resolution are available for the region I'm planning on traveling.

Another map Apps that I just discovered:
http://www.avenza.com/products

Benny
12-19-2014, 05:00 AM
I have an app on my Ipad called "you need a map" works very well for a free app. I used it on my trip to moab and it worked flawlessly. Kind of a pain to import GPX tracks but once you figure it out....easy. It is a huge app because you get the whole western USA topo.

dwvninety
12-19-2014, 05:50 AM
I used to use an iPad2 with a Bad Elf GPS and MotionX HD GPS. Now I have ordered an Ipad Air 2 with build in Wi-Fi and Cellular for the built in GPS and Glonass.

jhires
12-19-2014, 06:09 PM
I have both Trimble GPS and Gaia GPS. Gaia GPS hands down is the winner. Just be sure to have all your maps cached before hand in either case. Though both aps have crashed on my on longer trips. Gaia seems to crash more when it is set to have direction of travel as up instead of north is up.
I use it in conjuntion with the nav system in my jeep.

I also have Waze for on the road. It has saved me lots of $$$ in tickets thanks to other people updating it real time with speed trap locations.

Google Earth is kind of fun and helps with planning longer routes. I've also used it to help plan camp sites because you can see the terrain and how isolated it might be. But it is nowhere near as useful as the desktop version.

There are a few other aps out there that are designed to work with an external GPS as well, although I've never had a problem with the GPS that my ipad has.

Right now I have an iPad Mini mounted on a Ram Mount attached to the grab bar. This is MUCH better than using a suction cup mount in the Window. Once I get around to getting a bracket for my full sized iPad I will probably switch to that.

JK_Dave
01-08-2015, 04:00 PM
The Maplets app has been pretty helpful because you can download the maps ahead of time and it doesn't require a cell signal while on the trail. But that being said, you're at the mercy of the quality of maps that can be downloaded. I used it at Rausch Creek and it was helpful, but it would have been even better if the trails were listed.

Obviously this isn't the app for you if you're just going exploring and not doing an offroad park.

DangerDan
01-08-2015, 04:41 PM
I have a non-cellular ipad mini. What gps receiver in do I need?

JK LYF
04-22-2015, 02:19 AM
Looking for a recommended iPhone/IPad app that shows a variety of trails, directions, navigation, etc. What are you using out there that works well? Free or paid.

Thanks.

10frank9
04-22-2015, 02:21 AM
Gaia is a good app pricey but worth it. Also try All Trails for good trail ideas.

JK LYF
04-22-2015, 02:29 AM
Gaia is a good app pricey but worth it. Also try All Trails for good trail ideas.

Gaia is the one I've heard about. Never would have remembered that one. Thanks!

2Cross
04-22-2015, 02:32 AM
I use "GPS Kit"
Works well for me.
I have a BadElf accessory that gives my phone GPS data via Bluetooth.
I'm happy with it
Gaia might be better but I am familiar with GPS kit.

nmwranglerx
04-22-2015, 02:39 AM
I've been using Gaia. Works great. Download the maps you need in advance and you're good to go. The maps that come with the paid app are pretty decent. I've also used MotionX and it's pretty good too.

JK LYF
04-22-2015, 02:41 AM
I've been using Gaia. Works great. Download the maps you need in advance and you're good to go. The maps that come with the paid app are pretty decent. I've also used MotionX and it's pretty good too.

Cool. Motionx is the free one correct?

seakin
04-22-2015, 02:54 AM
I've had pretty good success with "NeoTreksGPS" on iOS

JK LYF
04-22-2015, 02:57 AM
I use "GPS Kit"
Works well for me.
I have a BadElf accessory that gives my phone GPS data via Bluetooth.
I'm happy with it
Gaia might be better but I am familiar with GPS kit.

Thanks for input. I will check that out.

Alex909
04-22-2015, 05:54 AM
Leadnav gps is a pretty cool app. It is only available for iPhones. I believe it costs around $20. Here's a screenshot 138797

JK LYF
04-22-2015, 06:12 AM
Leadnav gps is a pretty cool app. It is only available for iPhones. I believe it costs around $20. Here's a screenshot 138797

Very cool. Thanks for info!

Petthefish
04-22-2015, 08:24 AM
Check out Avenza GPS map
tons of free Topo maps and works even with no cell service I use to all the time in eastern Oregon and Love it

http://www.avenza.com/pdf-maps

Bryantengland14
06-11-2015, 07:06 PM
I'm looking for some kind of offline mapping GPS system for my trail riding. It can be Apple, android or windows. No idea what to use.

ttfhell
06-11-2015, 07:15 PM
Gaia is good and a lot of us use it.

Wardell
06-11-2015, 08:51 PM
Backcountry Navigator and GPS Essentials are two good ones I've used. They're both android apps.

olram30
06-11-2015, 10:59 PM
I use back country navigator. I paid 10 bucks for the pro version that lets you download the areas. That way when you don't have service, it still works. In the mountains I use the 2013 forest service map package. Cal-topo is a little off on the roads here for some reason.

OJK12
06-12-2015, 01:19 AM
Does any of them allow you to add as a favorite trail to remember for later and upload existing maps to use to navigate around?

olram30
06-12-2015, 01:22 AM
Does any of them allow you to add as a favorite trail to remember for later and upload existing maps to use to navigate around?

You can add "waypoints" to remember a spot you have planned at the trail head. You can also record your tracks.

JKStair
06-12-2015, 02:55 AM
I've been using Trimble Pro on my iPad and like it so far. You can create entire trips on your computer and send them to your device. You can also pre-download entire areas so when you lose cell service you're still good to go.

OJK12
06-12-2015, 03:21 AM
That's cool. I'll try that one out.

Wardell
06-12-2015, 04:42 AM

If you have a track and / or waypoints saved as a .kml or .kmz file, most good GPS apps will let you open and display that data on top of the map. It's really handy, especially if the trail isn't marked on the map. I've done it in both apps I've used. If you check the Youtube channels of Backcountry Navigator or GPS Essentials, they will show you how to do it.

Mind you, if I were to recommend one over the other, I'd say use Backcountry Navigator mainly because (like olram30 mentioned) there are more map sources available from within the program that are useful, and it's much easier to cache them for offline use from within the app. You basically choose the map source you want, select the area you want to cache, and hit save.

With GPS Essentials, the only map sources within the app I found useful was Google satellite and topo views, but they couldn't be cached and you can only use them when you have a signal. The only really useful way to add maps to it was to use Google Earth, paste in a high res map image (basically a digital copy of what a good map store would print out for you) align the corners of the image to their correct coordinates, save that as a .kml or .kmz, transfer it to the phone, and open it in the app. It's good if you have a very specific map you want to use (I used it for range and training area maps at work), but it's a lot of extra work just for the topo. That's why I ended up switching to Backcountry Navigator.

OJK12
06-12-2015, 05:12 AM
Awesome! Thanks for the info!🍻

Petthefish
06-12-2015, 12:05 PM
I have been using Avenza PDF Maps its free and has topo maps for free. Download the maps for the area you are going to and it works without cell service.

BLCK4X4
10-31-2015, 02:21 AM
Hey guys, yes I have a stock nav in my jk but I've seen over and over again that guys were sticking GPS units in their rigs for Offroad trails that you wouldn't get on your regular nav. Any preference? Looking into getting on instead of having 30 different maps lol...

OverlanderJK
10-31-2015, 02:35 AM
Lowrance. Or Gaia on an iPad.

BLCK4X4
10-31-2015, 03:21 AM
Lowrance. Or Gaia on an iPad.

How would an iPad work with no service?

CREEPR
10-31-2015, 03:23 AM
If it is an iPad that has a cellular antenna, it has a built in GPS.

OverlanderJK
10-31-2015, 03:23 AM
How would an iPad work with no service?

Gaia app. You don't need service. Check it out.

Crystaliner
10-31-2015, 04:47 AM
That's what I've been looking for....Thanks Overlander!!!!

Goldeneagle1LC
10-31-2015, 06:35 PM
In aviation we have a couple of GPS units that will connect with the iPad. One was the Bad Elf. I don't know if they are still around or not. If so it would probably fix the no cell service issue.

Edit: they are still around

http://bad-elf.com/collections

Gadget
10-31-2015, 09:54 PM
I believe the Bad Elf is still around, I have one for my iPad mini that works great with foreflight. Haven't found a street map app that works well though.

koasta11
10-31-2015, 10:07 PM
This is what I have been lookin at putting in mine

http://www.insanejeepaudio.com/

Insane Audio part # JK1001

Goldeneagle1LC
11-01-2015, 03:09 AM
I believe the Bad Elf is still around, I have one for my iPad mini that works great with foreflight. Haven't found a street map app that works well though.

Yeah I use mine for foreflight too. They have a road map section too. Gotta upgrade to the stratus ADSB one of these days though.

nmwranglerx
11-01-2015, 03:42 AM
I use Gaia with iPad mini and I'm pretty happy with it. You can download maps beforehand so if you don't have cell service, you'll still see where you're at. My iPad does have cell capabilities but I just use it for the GPS component

RebelconJk
11-19-2015, 07:18 PM
My wife and i started looking at some backcountry GPS's, just wanted to know what you guys/ gals are using? Thanks!

WJCO
11-19-2015, 07:22 PM
My wife and i started looking at some backcountry GPS's, just wanted to know what you guys/ gals are using? Thanks!

I have the Garmin Etrex20 for backpacking. It's not one you can mount in the vehicle like an in-dash, but I use it on the Jeep trails in my hand when I need to. What I like about it is that you can download satellite images to it and it's a good priced unit. The only thing I don't like is that the screen is really small.

sapco76
11-19-2015, 07:31 PM
I have the Garmin Montana 650t and it's a great unit.

RebelconJk
11-19-2015, 07:49 PM
I have the Garmin Etrex20 for backpacking. It's not one you can mount in the vehicle like an in-dash, but I use it on the Jeep trails in my hand when I need to. What I like about it is that you can download satellite images to it and it's a good priced unit. The only thing I don't like is that the screen is really small.

My buddy has the Garmin Etrex20, he likes it to. He also doesn't like the size of the screen too.

RebelconJk
11-19-2015, 07:54 PM
I have the Garmin Montana 650t and it's a great unit.

I checked that one out, looks bad ass!

DWiggles
11-19-2015, 08:17 PM
has anyone tried the JK1001 by insane audio? This is the Nav unit I have my eye on... Curious what others think of it though, as it does come at premium.

sapco76
11-19-2015, 08:23 PM
I checked that one out, looks bad ass!

It's actually has a big enough screen to see while you're driving

RebelconJk
11-19-2015, 08:39 PM
It's actually has a big enough screen to see while you're driving

Yeah, i saw that. It looks like a really nice unit. I'm guessing they make a window mount kit for it? Do you have to download trail/ fire road maps to it, or are they already in the system?

sapco76
11-19-2015, 08:42 PM
It comes with 100k topo which is good but 24k is routable and a better quality map. I use a ram mount cradle with a Carolina metal masters ball mount

RebelconJk
11-19-2015, 08:49 PM
It comes with 100k topo which is good but 24k is routable and a better quality map. I use a ram mount cradle with a Carolina metal masters ball mount

Okay, great! Thanks for the info!

Speeddmn
11-19-2015, 09:16 PM
I have a eTrex20 I use for hunting. It works for me, very simple to use. The small screen does suck tho. Cabelas has the Oregon 600 on sale for basically the same amount and it is touch screen.

Petromotion
11-19-2015, 09:25 PM
has anyone tried the JK1001 by insane audio? This is the Nav unit I have my eye on... Curious what others think of it though, as it does come at premium.

I have it and the built in Nav is ok for road use, not a lot of POIs and have to pay for updates. good enough to get you where you need if you have an address. I use Google maps and a WiFi hotspot for normal GPS. For off-road I use back country navigator. Works great I can save runs and download all of the imagery before I leave the house.

DWiggles
11-19-2015, 09:26 PM
I have it and the built in Nav is ok for road use, not a lot of POIs and have to pay for updates. good enough to get you where you need if you have an address. I use Google maps and a WiFi hotspot for normal GPS. For off-road I use back country navigator. Works great I can save runs and download all of the imagery before I leave the house.

I am curious of the offroad/back country applicability, but from your post, it sounds like they missed the mark?

Petromotion
11-19-2015, 09:38 PM
I am curious of the offroad/back country applicability, but from your post, it sounds like they missed the mark?

Its made more to use android apps than to be stand-alone equipment. There is a lot of options once you get into different apps which is what I think they wanted to allow. But like I said I think the normal GPS they have loaded is a little lacking. The company that makes the program they use does offer better quality if you're willing to pay to download it.

Back to the question about off-road use I think back country navigator is a great app and has a lot of capability once you learn to use it. I have shared and used other peoples .GPX files to find and follow trails.

ricky bobby
11-19-2015, 09:56 PM
I use a tablet and mount with backcountry navigator app. Just have to make sure you down load the map area your going to be in. I also have Gaia GPS apps on phone as a back up. Both work great, also have the ability to track/bread crumbs so if you need to follow your way back out.

jeepinmilton
02-01-2017, 11:47 PM
Just thought about using google earth to scout trails. Has anyone done this? why or why not?

Also, what do you use to scout the trail beforehand? Or to find your way around omce you are out there?
John Rumph- Alpharetta, Ga

WJCO
02-01-2017, 11:50 PM
I do it. But the trails change a little every year, so it's not fully accurate. Also, there's no substitute for being there to actually experience the obstacles. I use it more for backpacking and it's only semi-reliable.

black pearl
02-01-2017, 11:58 PM
I've used it in conjunction with topographical maps to plot out trips before so I can mark out possible harder obstacles but it still is a bit of a guessing game to when you actually get on the trail

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

GraniteCrystal
02-02-2017, 12:14 AM
I use it a lot. Invaluable tool for scouting trails that are hours away. It's more or less useless when trying to look at obstacles and see if your Jeep could do them (need on the ground photos for that and even then things change). However, for mapping a route, it's second to none.

As an example...I was elk hunting this past year. There's a long story, but the part that's important for your question is that the last night we ended up hiking for over 6 hours in the dark, down a drainage we'd never been, that was incredibly difficult to hike. Steep sidewalls, thick brush in the creek bottom, no trail. Got back to the Jeep at 3am, exhausted and happy to be alive.

We had left some gear back in there, so I ended up going back the next weekend to recover it. Before going in, I used Google Earth to map out an alternate route in and out, using a horse trail I was able to spot on Google Earth. That weekend I was able to hike in, pack things up, and hike out, all in just over 4 hours due to being able to scout my path beforehand in Google Earth. Totally different experience.

So yes, in preparation, it's awesome. For in the moment type of stuff, used Gaia GPS. That app also saved my life that trip, but that's a story for another time.

Mike_JK_Houston_711
02-02-2017, 01:01 AM
Yep. And I also use an app called TrailConnect on my iPhone. When we go hiking also, you can go into the app and look at everything before hand with wifi at your home and the maps will save in the app to use when you're offline. Can be a good tool for when you're a bit deep into things and you don't have any service.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

Hawkeye11
02-02-2017, 01:57 AM
Great thread! Subscribed to see what all tools/apps pop up.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

jeepinmilton
02-02-2017, 02:03 AM
Thank y'all for the replies and insight. I will have to look into both Gaia GPS and Trailconnect

jesse3638
02-02-2017, 02:04 AM
While all these are great tools never use these to substitute what your seeing in front of you. All too often we hear about someone who paid the ultimate price by listening to their GPS or other app and not paying attention to what they see in front of them. Also some of these apps or google earth may lead you onto private property. 90% of the time no one will ever know but that 10% may have an angry gun wielding individual. If there is ever a doubt find a local land management office weather it be county, state, or federal. They have a lot of valuable info and most of it is free as well. Illegal use is what leads to trails or entire areas getting closed. Conservation groups tend to have deep pockets with good lawyers. OK sorry for my PSA on responsible land use and back to your regularly scheduled thread..haha.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

JeepsySoul
02-02-2017, 02:05 AM
Yep. And I also use an app called TrailConnect on my iPhone. When we go hiking also, you can go into the app and look at everything before hand with wifi at your home and the maps will save in the app to use when you're offline. Can be a good tool for when you're a bit deep into things and you don't have any service.

Oooooo!! I'm going to have to download and play with that! Thanks for the info!

Looking forward to seeing what others say on this subject as well.

jeepinmilton
02-02-2017, 02:12 AM
While all these are great tools never use these to substitute what your seeing in front of you. All too often we hear about someone who paid the ultimate price by listening to their GPS or other app and not paying attention to what they see in front of them. Also some of these apps or google earth may lead you onto private property. 90% of the time no one will ever know but that 10% may have an angry gun wielding individual. If there is ever a doubt find a local land management office weather it be county, state, or federal. They have a lot of valuable info and most of it is free as well. Illegal use is what leads to trails or entire areas getting closed. Conservation groups tend to have deep pockets with good lawyers. OK sorry for my PSA on responsible land use and back to your regularly scheduled thread..haha.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)
I agree 100%. It is almost too easy to forget at times. Nothing can replace common sense.

madstiles
02-02-2017, 02:15 AM
Great info subscribed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415)

GraniteCrystal
04-09-2017, 10:37 PM
Anybody added an aftermarket GPS unit to the Jeep? My 430N gave out and I'm thinking of buying a GPS to send location data via Bluetooth to an iPad mini I'm mounting.

Right now looking at this one.

OverlanderJK
04-09-2017, 10:53 PM
I have that one. It works well. Battery life isn't the greatest so I would recommend you leave it plugged in all the time.

GraniteCrystal
04-09-2017, 10:56 PM
I have that one. It works well. Battery life isn't the greatest so I would recommend you leave it plugged in all the time.

Good to know! Yeah, I'm planning on wiring it into the USB port on the 430N (that part still works) or the cigarette lighter in the dash. Any suggestions on how to power it?

OverlanderJK
04-09-2017, 10:57 PM
Good to know! Yeah, I'm planning on wiring it into the USB port on the 430N (that part still works) or the cigarette lighter in the dash. Any suggestions on how to power it?

Some sort of usb. I've thought about running an extra usb behind the dash and keeping it plugged in all the time. I just haven't yet.

GraniteCrystal
04-09-2017, 10:58 PM
Some sort of usb. I've thought about running an extra usb behind the dash and keeping it plugged in all the time. I just haven't yet.

Cool. What do you pair it with? What apps do you use?

TonyT
04-09-2017, 10:59 PM
I looked into one of these and using my iPad as well. Lots of info out there in expedition groups. However, I changed my mind after taking my iPad with me on a couple runs (for music.) With the top down and doors off, it gets too hot. Slows down, battery dies faster, hard to see, and gets slow and crashes. Too frustrating. Also, the apps, or apple's software always seems to want to update at the most inconvenient time.

I think the best option for me is one of the Lawrence units.

OverlanderJK
04-09-2017, 11:06 PM
I looked into one of these and using my iPad as well. Lots of info out there in expedition groups. However, I changed my mind after taking my iPad with me on a couple runs (for music.) With the top down and doors off, it gets too hot. Slows down, battery dies faster, hard to see, and gets slow and crashes. Too frustrating. Also, the apps, or apple's software always seems to want to update at the most inconvenient time.

I think the best option for me is one of the Lawrence units.

Been using mine for 5 years with no issues.