JEEP TRAIL OFFROAD GPS: What GPS is everyone running?

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
I need to work on my co-pilot. She is more concerned with what is on Sirius and taking pictures. :doh:

cdl

Eddie,

So on the Gaia app I can down load topo maps from the app before I leave on a trip and then track myself even after I loose service? Or do I have to upload the topo maps from somewhere else to the app?

Thx

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie,

So on the Gaia app I can down load topo maps from the app before I leave on a trip and then track myself even after I loose service? Or do I have to upload the topo maps from somewhere else to the app?

Thx

You can download a designated area on the app while you still have wifi or reception. When you no longer have service, you can still see where you're at in that area. Does that make sense?

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
If you can find apps or software thats stand-alone and uses full maps you dont need service. Your can shut off data and still have map layover.

Last edited:

Dennis

Gps Devices. Jeep Trails Hiking

What type of GPS equipment is best suited, most used when running areas such as Moab. I own a 2010 Rubicon Unlimited which has the factory touch screen Nav system. Considering a hand held. Any thoughts, suggestions will be appreciated! Eddie your thoughts?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Gps

I've run several different GPS units in the past but now only use an app on my iPad called Gaia. It works on an iPhone too.

jhires

My wife and I take both her iphone and ipad with the ap Tremble Outdoors. It does require a bit of planning in advance though. You need to download the maps for the area you are going to be at in advance of losing cell service. The phone can record the gps track to share. She thinks the ipad ap can too, but not sure. Being able to track and plan on a topographic map is incredibly handy.

I haven't tried the previous ap mentioned, but will look into it.

woody

Gps

I use a GPS receiver called "DUAL" it interfaces via Bluetooth with virtually any display that accepts the Bluetooth signal. The 7" Nexus tablet is what I use but that's where preference of I've and mounting enter. The 7" tablet fits quite nice in my 2012 dash tray. A dedicated GPS receiver is much better (accurate/ faster)IMHO. I'd attend a couple of runs and look firsthand at what others are running, usually everyone is happy to discuss there choices. The mapping platform and it's ease of use is the real challenge. Thank goodness they're reasonable so you can change if you need different results.

Krieger

Gps

Use an app like Eddie has one you can download the map so when you lose signal you can still use it.

Rccrwlr

Gps

For a handheld unit I use the Garmin Etrex vista HCX

1979 Jeep CJ5 - rccrwlr
2008 Jeep JKUR - pheartmtngot

woody

Gps

If you're using an IPad try Scenic Maps Western. It downloads and you have it all no need to download every time you change locations and it costs the exorbitant sum of $10

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Gps

If you're using an IPad try Scenic Maps Western. It downloads and you have it all no need to download every time you change locations and it costs the exorbitant sum of $10

Does it work without wifi or 3G or are they needed?

Ldogg

Gps

I found this app last night called PDF Maps. It has all of the Colorado MVUM maps for free and the app is free. I have not had a chance to mess with it to much other then download the maps and view them cut appears it can overlay your gps location so it's like carrying the actual MVUM but with GPS points. Kinda cool. I looked at the Gaia app last night to, but wasn't sure if I could get those forest service maps uploaded.

Ldogg

Gps

Here are some pics of the app. Runs on iPhone and iPad. The key is the maps, I'm not sure if they are available for your area or if they are free. For Colorado they are.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1373996559.276127.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1373996579.172507.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1373996588.405245.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1373996596.922241.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1373996605.571539.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1373996613.588708.jpg

woody

Gps

To answer your question after initial download its all on your machine , no further wi-fi or 3G needed which makes it stand alone and "trail rated" in my book. Check out the demo, only drawback is it's only for IPad

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Gps

To answer your question after initial download its all on your machine , no further wi-fi or 3G needed which makes it stand alone and "trail rated" in my book. Check out the demo, only drawback is it's only for IPad

I want it for my ipad anyway. :thumb:

Top Bottom