RK 2.5 stock mod driveshaft issues?

matt08jk

I am about to pull the trigger on the 2.5 RK stock mod for my 08 jkr with auto transmission. I have seen 50% of posts that say it'll bring driveshaft issues and 50% that say no issue. Any advice/experience with this? If I do need a new driveshaft what do I actually need to replace to make it work?

H8MUD

I'm one of the 50% that had trouble. I have the RK 2.5". Went to Rausch this past weekend and was doing some mild blues, flexed and there went the boot. Have to replace it with a 1310 front drive shaft which will be $450+.

If you don't go off-road I believe you won't have problems (probably the other 50%).

The moment when it happened. Hope this helps.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1379957026.010960.jpg

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i have the teraflex 2.5 (i know not the kit the op is getting but same height) and i havent had any issues with my driveshaft (knock on wood).

seanb123

Have the stock mod wheeled it pretty hard no driveshaft issues knock knock I also have so big bump stops to keep from flexing to the breaking point

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm one of the 50% that had trouble. I have the RK 2.5". Went to Rausch this past weekend and was doing some mild blues, flexed and there went the boot. Have to replace it with a 1310 front drive shaft which will be $450+.

If you don't go off-road I believe you won't have problems (probably the other 50%).

The moment when it happened. Hope this helps.

View attachment 50227

What he said. You will have issues with your front drive shaft due to the fact that the shocks they provide are considerably longer. This will provide more droop than your drive shaft has clearance for and the boot will get damaged as it hits your transmission and skid plate. An aftermarket shaft will be narrower in diameter and will not have a boot and therefore, it will not have this issue.

i have the teraflex 2.5 (i know not the kit the op is getting but same height) and i havent had any issues with my driveshaft (knock on wood).

It's not the lift height that causes the problem but rather, the shock length used. TF 2.5" kit uses shorter length shocks and that limits your droop. Needless to say, this prevents your driveshaft from having issues.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
It's not the lift height that causes the problem but rather, the shock length used. TF 2.5" kit uses shorter length shocks and that limits your droop. Needless to say, this prevents your driveshaft from having issues.

ahh ok. i guess my bilsteins i ordered on the side were the right size then so i wouldnt have an issue! :rock: go me lol

matt08jk

What he said. You will have issues with your front drive shaft due to the fact that the shocks they provide are considerably longer. This will provide more droop than your drive shaft has clearance for and the boot will get damaged as it hits your transmission and skid plate. An aftermarket shaft will be narrower in diameter and will not have a boot and therefore, it will not have this issue.

Ok, that makes sense. I guess I might as well plan on swapping the driveshaft at the same time then. Might move it to the right on the calendar a little, but I want to do it right. Thanks for all of the heads up everyone! :beer:

look into the adams front drive shafts. that's what I have and if you ask anyone that has one you wont find anything bad about them. They are great quality and a lil cheaper then other drive shafts. with a great warrenty

matt08jk

look into the adams front drive shafts. that's what I have and if you ask anyone that has one you wont find anything bad about them. They are great quality and a lil cheaper then other drive shafts. with a great warrenty

Cool, I'll look at those. Thanks for the info!

H8MUD

Ok, that makes sense. I guess I might as well plan on swapping the driveshaft at the same time then. Might move it to the right on the calendar a little, but I want to do it right. Thanks for all of the heads up everyone! :beer:

I would still do it without the drive shaft and you might not have a problem. And if it fails its not going to leave you stranded as you'll be able to continue your day as if nothing happened. You will just know that its time to upgrade to the thinner drive shaft.

The ride quality is so nice your going to say to yourself why didn't I do this earlier, and on the trails you'll be real happy.

JMO.

H8MUD

A friend of mine has the Adams also recommended them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For the most part, drive shafts are drive shafts with the only real difference is in how well they are balanced and they type of u-joints used. So long as they come with Spicer or Neapco u-joints, you're good to go with any brand or even one made by a local shop.

matt08jk

For the most part, drive shafts are drive shafts with the only real difference is in how well they are balanced and they type of u-joints used. So long as they come with Spicer or Neapco u-joints, you're good to go with any brand or even one made by a local shop.

Noob question...do I only need to replace the front driveshaft?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Noob question...do I only need to replace the front driveshaft?

If you have a 2007-11 JK with an automatic, yes and only IF you run shocks that provide too much droop. Same would apply if you have a 2012-up regardless if you have an automatic or manual. If you have a 4-door, you should be fine with the factory rear shaft up to about 4" of lift. If you have a 2-door, you should replace the rear sooner than later with 3" of lift or more.

Ldogg

Eddie have you heard of people moving the auto trans skid a bit to prevent the boot from tearing? I thought I saw/heard that somewhere but I can't find anything on it now.

Moochie

Another noob question...I guess I'll ask in advance, how will you know the rear failed, when it falls to the ground?

The CV joint will start to make a clicking sound and if you are observant you will hear it. If you don't replace it soon enough, the shaft could come loose while spinning and destroy the underside of your Jeep.

H8MUD

The CV joint will start to make a clicking sound and if you are observant you will hear it. If you don't replace it soon enough, the shaft could come loose while spinning and destroy the underside of your Jeep.

Thanks...other than the clicking sound, if you do visual checks what should I be looking for?

TIA

Top Bottom