RK 2.5 stock mod driveshaft issues?

Moochie

Eddie have you heard of people moving the auto trans skid a bit to prevent the boot from tearing? I thought I saw/heard that somewhere but I can't find anything on it now.

It rubs on the side of the transmission pan. Nothing short of using a skinnier shaft will prevent this.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie have you heard of people moving the auto trans skid a bit to prevent the boot from tearing? I thought I saw/heard that somewhere but I can't find anything on it now.

Won't make a difference being that the shaft will still catch on the side of the transmission.

Thanks...other than the clicking sound, if you do visual checks what should I be looking for?

TIA

The clicking will sound more like a ratcheting sound under a load and you will see grease spitting out of the CV boot like this...

15548068rq.jpg

Moochie

Thanks...other than the clicking sound, if you do visual checks what should I be looking for?

TIA

With a steep angle (over time) the CV boot will tear and you will see where the grease has flung out and left a mark under your floor and above the shaft.

The boot on your slip shaft usually fails when it contacts something. You can drive quite awhile (months) until it eventually quits sliding due to rust and dirt contamination. This will lead to CV joint failure because it will rip the joint apart.

MurderedJK

I had this set up with Bilsteins and no problem. Once I upgraded my Lower CAs to RK that's when I tore my DS boot. The stock arms will bind up well before the amount of droop necessary to ripping the DS boot (at least for 07-11). But as you can see, not every one jeep is the same...

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just because you might have the same make and model shock as the next guy doesn't necessarily mean they must be the same length. Shocks are made in all kinds of different collapsed and extended lengths and even mount configurations.

jkrossi

I put the 2.5 rk coils and bilstien 5100s for 1-3" lift on my automatic 07 and have NO drive line issues what so ever. Just make sure you dont use a shock thats to long and you will good to go.

Top Bottom