2012 overheating....

Snsrubicon

Ok so long story, try and keep it short.took a rock into the condenser, took it to the dealership. Well ever since it was there it has over heated when I was driving around 30mph on a slight hill...took it to a different dealer with no luck, issue did not happen. So I recorded it on my cell. Took it back had a tech go for a ride and it did it..so this is where it gets good.

Said the radiator was bad and it had stop leak in it...maybe from other dealer or he said factory was putting stop leak in the motor at the factory..why I don't know...anyway new radiator and still over heating..well bad head it seems. Replaced it still over heats. Been at dealer for 14 days...corp is involved, and engineer is coming in tomorrow to look at it. I have been reading that a recall is coming on the 3.6...for this reason. Have been told by mechanic at Chrysler it probably overheard internally. He said request a new motor and don't take no for a answer. The jk is a rubicon on 35's with stock gears. No power issues at all ran great until first dealer issue...any input would be great. Hope you were able to follow my comments.

Scott

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty common problem with the 3.6L motors and one that we have as well. Regearing helped out a lot but, on long hills, the temp will still climb. I know lots of people with this problem.

mrmet1983

Never had a problem with my 3.6 on 35s with stock gears or after I put in 513s curious as to why this is happening

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I wish I knew too. Didn't have the problem at first even with 37's and stock gears but, over time, I did start to see my temp needle get up to 3/4 on the gauge when climbing long steep mountain grades especially if it's hot out and I have the AC on. Don't know if you have anything like that out where you're at but, that's the only time I see it happen.

TrailBear

Do you have an auto? I saw a buddy's '12 jkur start getting real hot climbing some hills, where my '12 jkus had no issues but he had an auto and mine is a standard.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have an auto? I saw a buddy's '12 jkur start getting real hot climbing some hills, where my '12 jkus had no issues but he had an auto and mine is a standard.

Yup, we have an auto and for some reason or another, this seems to be an auto specific thing.

Snsrubicon

Overheating jk

Sorry to hear the problems you are having Scott....hope it gets figured out soon
Sorry for the late update...ok so the dealer found radiator sealer in the block and radiator...told me the factory had done this to some of the motors.? Did not really have a reason why..changer the radiator and water pump flushed the block burped the motor, still over heated...fond that the passenger side head was bad. This is I guess happening to a lot of motors. So now it looks like the motor overheated internally and just warped. So I am hoping for a new motor..maybe it will have the bugs worked out. Been at the dealer for 21 days so far...

Thanks so much for all the input

Scott

Marauder

My temp starts to rise steadily going up hill as well. It didn't used to but I haven't let it go into the danger zone on the gauge. I just lower my speed and get into lower revs. 20k mikes on my 12 auto.

I hope they figure yours out Scott. I can't believe that the factory would put in stop leak and put a bandaid on a new motor.

Last edited:

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Man, that totally sucks. If I could guess, I'll bet I have the same problem :naw:

Eddie, better get that Cherokee on the road. Only have 20K miles on my '12. So far, so good in the AZ heat. It seems to me the 3.6 runs blisteringly hot under the best of conditions, which can't be good for the long haul. To this point, we have only done moderate trails worthy of a stocker and have yet to have a head problem. Fingers crossed.:crazyeyes:

jpone

Same issue here. Has never gotten into the red zone, but it clearly overheats under same conditions described by Wayalife above. Concerns me some, but not enough to get it checked yet. Never occurred in my 2007. I assumed the motor is higher strung - whatever that means . . .

Any news here would be appreciated.

jkjurny

I brought my JK in for the same thing. They said that they couldn't find anything, but blamed my winch for the reason that my JK runs hotter...

The only reason I can think that it impacts '12 Autos is due to the transmission cooler, that blocks about 2/3s of the radiator. Is it possible that the transmission is heating up hot enough that the transmission cooler is stealing all the cooler air, leaving hot air to flow to the radiator?

jpone

I brought my JK in for the same thing. They said that they couldn't find anything, but blamed my winch for the reason that my JK runs hotter...

The only reason I can think that it impacts '12 Autos is due to the transmission cooler, that blocks about 2/3s of the radiator. Is it possible that the transmission is heating up hot enough that the transmission cooler is stealing all the cooler air, leaving hot air to flow to the radiator?[/QUOTE

The winch sounds like they are reaching for an excuse. I do not have a winch or made any changes that impact the airflow. The autotrans cooler is a good thought as it does sit right in front of the radiator.

Snsrubicon

Overheating

The only reason I can think that it impacts '12 Autos is due to the transmission cooler, that blocks about 2/3s of the radiator. Is it possible that the transmission is heating up hot enough that the transmission cooler is stealing all the cooler air, leaving hot air to flow to the radiator?[/QUOTE

The winch sounds like they are reaching for an excuse. I do not have a winch or made any changes that impact the airflow. The autotrans cooler is a good thought as it does sit right in front of the radiator.

as of today no word on if they are going to out a new motor in. Keeping my fingers crossed. Also this even with this issue never ran hot while I was out wheelin, so strange. Maybe it's time for the hemi...

Snsrubicon

Overheating jk

Ok so as of tomorrow it is 30 days...contacted lemon law lawyer...looks like this might be the way I have to go. Asked if I could take my jeep and new jeep to the place that did all the work and have them swap all parts ov and he said yes...will keep posted ,,hate making payments on something I don't get to drive

JKWrang

2014 here with 1200 miles and no issues. Ill keep you guys posted if I have any. I di have a 6spd. The more info the better I say. Right now its running just fine though

Sent from my phone while I should probably be getting work done

spinuck

I have a 13 auto tran. I have the same issue with the temps climbing during long inclines. I thought it was due to the radiator being cake with mud, but even after cleaning it out well. The temps still climb on long acceleration or long hills. The dealer says it due to there being too much dirt in the radiator. Seems odd there would be too much dirt in a closed system.

rox-n-mud

Ok so long story, try and keep it short.took a rock into the condenser, took it to the dealership. Well ever since it was there it has over heated when I was driving around 30mph on a slight hill...took it to a different dealer with no luck, issue did not happen. So I recorded it on my cell. Took it back had a tech go for a ride and it did it..so this is where it gets good.

Said the radiator was bad and it had stop leak in it...maybe from other dealer or he said factory was putting stop leak in the motor at the factory..why I don't know...anyway new radiator and still over heating..well bad head it seems. Replaced it still over heats. Been at dealer for 14 days...corp is involved, and engineer is coming in tomorrow to look at it. I have been reading that a recall is coming on the 3.6...for this reason. Have been told by mechanic at Chrysler it probably overheard internally. He said request a new motor and don't take no for a answer. The jk is a rubicon on 35's with stock gears. No power issues at all ran great until first dealer issue...any input would be great. Hope you were able to follow my comments.

Scott

I'd bet you a dollar there's air in the system after radiator change. Some dealerships aren't bleeding these engines right. You can read about this on JKF. Mostly after the drivers side head change. Your engine probably really isn't overheating but there is air where the sensor is instead of coolant.

Sent from my eyephone while using my eyephone

Top Bottom